Value of: Soderstrom-UtHC

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
He hasn’t exactly played great in the A either. Bjornfort got claimed last year but put back on waivers and was claimed back by LA.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I think so. Doubt he would cost a lot in a trade either.
Yes we would. Personally I'd rather add another RHD without losing one, but Rutta doesn't hold much value at all.
Yes on trying out Soderstrom.
The thinking on my part is to have a veteran presence on the 3rd pairing that can pk too as an alternate to Marino. That would also allow Utah to trade Kesselring too.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I'm not really sure there's a team that is in a position to let him putter around and try to "figure it out" at the NHL level like that, even "for free" on waivers. It'd just be based on his draft pedigree...and you never know if there's a GM out there who absolutely loved him back in that draft year, and is willing to look past a substantial sample of not being able to make the jump. But a small defenceman who hasn't really carved out a niche as a Pro, even at the AHL level necessarily...just isn't the sort of guy that teams tend to be willing to take multiple big chances on.

But then, i didn't think Nils Lundkvist would fetch a 1st round pick in trade either. Not really the same situation, but there are enough similarities to believe i might be underestimating the interest there'd be for Soderstrom on waivers.

Just hard to see which teams would even be a consideration.

-Chicago maybe? They've added, but are still clearly in a phase where they can afford to tinker if they think there's some upside there.

-San Jose? They gave Calen Addison a whirl last year...maybe there's room to try Soderstrom this year and hope it works out better...but pretty low stakes given their expectations for the year, even with some supporting cast additions and top young rookie players arriving.

-Winnipeg? Seems like they've been looking for more RHD depth forever. Would they pick up Soderstrom and let him be another guy who butts in line ahead of Heinola? :laugh:

-Calgary? They've really overhauled their blueline recently, and maybe they've got room for another young guy with a little bit of draft pedigree. But they also have a bunch of their own young guys in house already, whom they may prefer to just get that icetime and opportunity to instead.

-Pittsburgh? Last thing they need with Letang and Karlsson, but Dubas puts me in mind of, i wouldn't totally rule them out of just scooping up a "free asset" they don't need.

Not sure any of them actually even bite...but those are pretty much the only ones i can see even theoretically taking a nibble. There just aren't

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
He hasn’t exactly played great in the A either. Bjornfort got claimed last year but put back on waivers and was claimed back by LA.
Bjornfot was claimed by Vegas, then Vegas placed him on waivers again and he was then subsequently claimed by Florida.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Soderstrom signs a contract in the SHL or Liiga for a season or two and return to North America in the future.

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
We wrote a piece on a couple trade ideas for the kid. I think there's still some value in his play, just doesn't seem to be a guy that fits in what Armstrong is building. Could be a nice cheap depth D with some upside.

I doubt he gets traded unless if it's a hockey trade and he is a minor piece. Teams would just wait and make a waiver claim. There are a few borderline Ds that have lost their waiver-exempt status this upcoming season.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We wrote a piece on a couple trade ideas for the kid. I think there's still some value in his play, just doesn't seem to be a guy that fits in what Armstrong is building. Could be a nice cheap depth D with some upside.

BA praised his play last year. That might have changed mind you.

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
Didn't Utah start the offseason with an almost empty NHL D corps?
Doesn't give much confidence if they filled with other options over the kid who was already in the house

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
On
Didn't Utah start the offseason with an almost empty NHL D corps?
Doesn't give much confidence if they filled with other options over the kid who was already in the house
On the right side, they only brought in Marino. You are mistaken because they still needed to sign RFAs.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
Was there a.reason he went from half a season in the NHL two seasons ago to just three games last year?

Bishop7979

Sep 9, 2005
Penguins will give you graves for him, the best version of Marino was next to graves and the best version of graves was next to Marino...

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
Was there a.reason he went from half a season in the NHL two seasons ago to just three games last year?

I can only imagine they didn't have much confidence from his 30 game stint in 2022-23. They traded for Sean Durzi to fill the role that Soderstrom would have competed for. They signed Matt Dumba to eat minutes and kill penalties, the latter wasn't likely something they envisioned for Soderstrom. Soderstrom was drafted by the previous GM, so the current administration isn't as married to him.

Looks like most of Soderstrom's 30 games in 2022-23 came in February-April when they were finishing the stretch. Gostisbehere and Chychrun were traded at the deadline (for draft picks) on March 1st. So this might have just been a case of calling up a player because they just needed a warm body versus being called up for merit.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
I wonder if Treliving would take a look since there appears to be issues with the Hakanpaa signing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad