so that just happened!!!..whats the solution???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jamesbay

Oct 19, 2014
#1 Dman is Phaneuf, #1 centre is Bozak.

Those are both huge issues that need to be addressed. The easiest way would be to tank and draft.

A1LeafNation

Good, is simply not good enough!
Oct 17, 2010
sell franson and lupul at least this year.

get rid of carlyle at the end of the year.

draft high.

yubbers

Grown Menzez
May 1, 2013
Staal 2x 8.25

For

Dion 6x 7
Kadri will be looking for 5mil for sure. No thanks
Gardiner 4x4

Basically unloading the players I have little to no faith in but have some value I guess. Leaves you waaay more open to move forward. And it can't be worse right?

Reimer will deliver them in a Mercedes sprinter van. They can have those too

leafstilldeath*

Leafs: What should be the game plan?

After taking a few deep breaths and calming myself with emotions in check I ask myself (and you HF) what is a logical step forward.

In my opinion, few things should be considered first before any decisions can be made.

Is this team good enough?
-NO

Can this team rebound without any significant changes?
- NO, why? The core is just not good enough, this is 3+ years and counting.

Who do we identify as core?
-Kessel, Lupul, JVR, Bozak, Clarkson, Phaneuf, Gardiner (long term signed); Kadri, Bernier, Reilly, Reimer, Franson (short-term or contract year)

Of this core identified above who have been playing for 3+ years for Leafs?
-Kessel, Lupul, Bozak, Phaneuf, Gardiner*, Franson, Reimer. Enough evidence that these players have not got it done and hence should not be counted as core.

What is the goal? Short-term and long-term?

Short-term?
-Given that this team is not good enough short-term goal cannot be taking a run at the cup. So, short-term goal should include identify and develop talent, stay young, and get rid of any older player.

Long-term?
-CUP. Identify any players that will be too old to contribute while contending.

How long do you expect to wait before contending?
-Given the current roster make up, expect approximately 3 to 4 years.

Since expect 3 to 4 years before we contend, which players from the core will be too old or be 30+ yrs old.
-Lupul, Bozak, Phaneuf, Franson, Kessel,

Who from this group do we keep and who do we move?
-Keep: Kessel. Why? Dynamic player, top 5 NHL scorer.
-Don't need: Everybody else. Why? no impact players.

Who do we have that may help in 3 to 4 years?
-JVR, Kadri, Nylander, Gauthier, Percy, Reilly, Percy, Bernier, next 2 drafts (10 spots)

Bad contracts given on ice effort/production?
-Clarkson, Phaneuf

Given the above mentioned combination and permutations what should be the game plan?

Keep youth trade older players especially from the core of 3+ yrs (and Clarkson if possible). Trade one or more of the youth (Kadri, Gardiner, etc....) in future if it makes us better. No point in trading them now as we are not good anyway and are most likely not a playoff team.

Whats your short-term and long-term plan? if any...I am just curious

TheLeafsBro

Mar 14, 2014
London, ON
Our worst players are not tradeable so there's not much you can do unfortunately. I know everyone wants there to be a knee jerk reaction but in situations like this the best course of action really is to tank and get a generational talent like McDavid or Eichel.

realisticTORfan

Nov 17, 2014
well they are still a game above 500 so realistically i dont expect them to be at the very bottom of the league with this group..just bad enough to miss the playoffs. the problem is they CAN play well. but for years its been the same jeckyl and hide routine.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
Our worst players are not tradeable so there's not much you can do unfortunately. I know everyone wants there to be a knee jerk reaction but in situations like this the best course of action really is to tank and get a generational talent like McDavid or Eichel.

We have won 11 of our last 33 games , we are quickly removing ourselves from knee jerk territory.

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
well they are still a game above 500 so realistically i dont expect them to be at the very bottom of the league with this group..just bad enough to miss the playoffs. the problem is they CAN play well. but for years its been the same jeckyl and hide routine.

check where .500 gets you these days

82 points ,drafts around the 6/7 th overall slot.

ECanuck

Jan 7, 2010
Hamilton
We need to go young. Said this many times. Try to unload at least a few of the players that are above 25. Kessel if there is a great offer otherwise I keep him.

Teeder9

Free rent for Mo?
Oct 14, 2011
Ontario
The game plan should be to win. Short of that, it should be to put yourself in a position to win in the future. Short of that you are Edmonton

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
We just need to be smart and somewhat patient, we have a lot of good pieces. Just need to round out the team nicely and build a nice core.

Obviously we gotta do it soon because Kessel is getting up there in age.

Start with shipping out Lupul, Reimer and Franson. Dont just sell them off though, you need to get something in return for these guys of value to us and our future, doesn't need to be a superstar or anything just get a nice piece or two that can help us and fit in well structurally and cap wise.

After that we need to make some decision on the blue line.. Our Left side is packed and our right side lacks a true #1 guy.. Polak is a good #2 RD and Robidas is a fine #3 RD we just need a good #1 RD.. The left side we need to either move our Dion and his fat contract or move out Gardiner (for something of great value) to make our left side more well rounded and less risky.

Nylander, Rielly, Kessel, JVR, Bernier are all part of a nice core here we just need to add 1 or 2 nice pieces to that.

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
Blow it up, get best value out of kessel, phaneuf, lupul, reimer, franson for futures. Santa/winnik/booth possibly traded at tdl if u can get some decent value.
Call up leivo-lupul, percy-phaneuf, grandberg-franson, bibeau-reimer, frattin-winnik, carrik-santa ** note wait for nylander to replace kessel next season.

Get like 1-3 1st rounders, 2-4 2nd rounder and draft draft draft

realisticTORfan

Nov 17, 2014
check where .500 gets you these days

82 points ,drafts around the 6/7 th overall slot.

i hear ya..but we need a some game changers..some no brainers. more often than not a pick in that range is a good player but rarely turns into a franchise cornerstone. especially with our scouts over the last number of years lol

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
The solution is we all abandon the leafs and join the raptors wagon.. That team is going places.

This and so much this. To bad leafs didn't trade there best player and see what happens aka rudy gay, aka rick nash in cbj.

Leafs need to keep a decent team, not a great team, just one that can compete so fans can somewhat "believe" in them going somewhere.

Problem is, I think that "just make playoffs" bandwagon has sailed and real leaf fans just want them to tank and others blinded leaf fans keep drinking the kool-aid that is mlse

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
tank for Mcdavid seems most logical... next if they refuse to do it at least make a push for staal. Either way my interest is minimal... did not tune in tonight

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
The solution is what have parroted for almost 2 years now.

Fire Nonis, Carlyle
Trade, Dion, Bozak, Franson, Lupul, Clarkson
New: Trade Jake, Robidas

See what we can get play some kids. Pick wisely.

Ratboy

I made a funny!
Jul 15, 2009
sorry guys, basketball is boring to me. cant join the raptor thing. come to think of it, the only sport i really enjoy is hockey, and this team is ruining that for me. :laugh:

AuGsY

Nov 7, 2011
Get what you can for Phaneuf, Kessel, Gardiner, Kadri, franson and Lupul. Tank and rebuild.

-I only put Kessel in there because by the time the Leafs are ready to compete he'll be way past his prime. Plus trading Kessel means we tank twice as hard :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad