TV: SNL season 50 September 28, 2024

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Can't remember the last time a cast member got that much screen time. He's great, but that was too heavy of a dose.

I mean, there have been plenty of favourites over the years.

I remember reading about how writers loved to write for Will Ferrell. Ditto for Kristen Wiig.

They were easy to write for because they were so funny and they ended up in a lot of sketches as a result.

The problem is that Bowen Yang can only really play one character so you're seeing the same thing over and over again.

Reactions: Primary Assist

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
The problem is that Bowen Yang can only really play one character so you're seeing the same thing over and over again.

I mean, I think he's got a bit more range than you're giving him credit for. Even recently, his Vance and Charlie XCX were different enough. There's more to playing character than voice work.

Hell, Kenan is always Kenan no matter who he plays. And it doesn't matter since he's a pro who's got it down to a science and delivers laughs regardless.

Jane Wickline was awful. Her for Chloe Troast was a real trade down.
Her song at least had a very clear "game" to it and was easy to follow from a comedy structure. Not great from a performance standpoint (same goes for the waterslide sketch, which she may have written....featured players usually don't get prominent roles early on in the season unless it's stuff they've written).
But, if she can write, she may stick around for a little while -- almost seems like the inverse of Troast, who was a strong performer, but didn't seem like she could write much so she didn't find herself getting used very much.

the valiant effort

settle down, bud
Apr 17, 2017
relying on cameos too much. Clear indication to me they have no faith in much of the cast

The last couple years I keep tuning in to the odd cold open because you just never know when you might see something worth watching, but it’s just bad. In 50 years has no one suggested that maybe the writers should just go to bed instead of writing to 4am all week? Get some rest and start fresh in the morning…

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
The last couple years I keep tuning in to the odd cold open because you just never know when you might see something worth watching, but it’s just bad. In 50 years has no one suggested that maybe the writers should just go to bed instead of writing to 4am all week? Get some rest and start fresh in the morning…

That and weekend update--but even that needs an change

Reactions: the valiant effort

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad