Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
Which players do you mean? there are only Chovan and Tomik and both are playing very solid IMO.
Tomik had also some healthy issues before tournament as far as I know..

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Which players do you mean? there are only Chovan and Tomik and both are playing very solid IMO.
Tomik had also some healthy issues before tournament as far as I know..
He is not playing bad I was just expecting to see more.

Maybe it's my fault for having high expectations.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Yes, maybe.
Don't forget we have played against maybe 2 best teams (sorry my brothers from Czechia) on tournament so far.
He already had a problem putting up points in the post season when he played in the U20 play-offs.

I think part of the problem could be the U18 project. It was a weak team forced playing in the SHL where they had to defend for the entire game.

I don't know what the plan is for this season but I hope it is not playing 4th line for the senior team.

Harvey Dent

Jul 9, 2024
He already had a problem putting up points in the post season when he played in the U20 play-offs.

I think part of the problem could be the U18 project. It was a weak team forced playing in the SHL where they had to defend for the entire game.

I don't know what the plan is for this season but I hope it is not playing 4th line for the senior team.
Unfortunately that's exactly the plan.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
2007 born defensive class is quite weak outside of Radivojevic and it was hampered even more after Dravecky left. Goljer was the best defender on the team and he’s a 2008. It’s a shame cause this team was a good powerplay away from being in the semi’s. Still I see this team as being able to compete in April for potential semi final spot with Radivojevic and hopefully some lineup changes.

Standouts:
Goljer
Kazda
Nemec

Disappointments:
Zubak
Tomik
Chovan

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
2007 born defensive class is quite weak outside of Radivojevic and it was hampered even more after Dravecky left. Goljer was the best defender on the team and he’s a 2008. It’s a shame cause this team was a good powerplay away from being in the semi’s. Still I see this team as being able to compete in April for potential semi final spot with Radivojevic and hopefully some lineup changes.

Standouts:
Goljer
Kazda
Nemec

Disappointments:
Zubak
Tomik
Chovan
Standouts:
Nemec
Kazda
Chrenko

Suprised:
Goljer
Murin
Pradel

Played as expected:
Svrcek
Chovan

Dissapointments:
Straka
Tomik
Radivojevic :sarcasm:

The defense was pretty good in the last match, and was doing alright in the tournament much better than I predicted so props to them.

If there is one player out of the 2007 prospect group that could play in the NHL one day its A. Nemec.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
How many players could be picked for 2025 and what is their draft range at this point?
Its not looking that good

I don't want to do rankings and predictions but I think it will be an underwhelming draft. Unless some players have outstanding season.

It's good age group but the players don't have the individual qualities that NHL teams want.

Some players lack size while others don't have a great skating technique or they have both but lack elite offensive talent.

Last edited:

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
After some time I´m finally ready for an update of my ranking of the most promising Slovak talents in upcoming years. Like a one year ago I was waiting for the all summer tournaments to be finished. Actually this is pretty exciting time because you can detect many new talents and improved players. And I saw a lot lot hockey so you can find a some new names in my list, and maybe some surprising ones. My list includes prospects eligible for 2025 draft until after 2010 birthyear. I´m not confident to judge and rank younger players yet - so the most promising 2011 players (Tomastik, Hornak) sorry, maybe the next time.

Top 15 ranking

Top tier
(player no.1)

1. Max MELICHERIK (2029) - I mentioned him 2 years ago on this forum as a first person that he could be "The Next Slovak one". And after 2 years nothing changed. He had excellent second half of the season and is a real gem of Slovak hockey. Big, strong 1C who has everything - shot, skating, excellent puck protection, stickhandling.

Second tier (players 2-5)

2. Oliver OZOGANY (2027) - he´s rising in my ranking all the time and now here we go. It´s a bit difficult to rank these players from US leagues but Ozogany is a good one for sure. Last summer I saw him play a lot of times in person and I was very impressed. And he confirmed his position during the season in America where he had a great numbers.

3. Matus VALEK (2027) - he missed the significant part of the season due to injury and I was curious how he´ll look. Seems like he´s back on the track pretty quickly. In the 4 nations U16 tournament in Fussen which ended today he was the best goalscorer and most productive player and looked good. Also I see a lot of room for improvement - once when he´ll get stronger he could become a hell of a player.

4. Timothy KAZDA (2027) - the youngest player from Hlinka Gretzky tournament is offensively completely legit. Sniper with elite vision and that sounds pretty good. But he still needs to work on his skating and defensive abilities.

5. Luka RADIVOJEVIC (2025) - it wasn´t the easiest decision to place him at number 5, he could be easily no.2 of this list. The best skater from this ranking. His offense is elite and his competitiveness more so. But still his transition to the pro-hockey as a undersized D is a bit questionable at this moment.

Third tier (players 6-15)

6. Tobias TOMIK (2026) - he´s a player whom scouts will like. Good skater and plays 200-ft game. Tools are there but he's still just kind of putting it together.

7. Adam GOLJER (2026) - the only 2008 defender at the Hlinka Gretzky and he finished the tournament as our 1D with 3 points in 4 games. Despite this fact his offense isn´t elite and skating is just average. He plays mature game for his age, has a good size, hockey IQ... could be still on the rise.

8. Adam NEMEC (2026) - I like he has skill and also grit in his game, he´s constantly winning puck battles. Unfortunately he´s lacking speed and that´s maybe the main reason why he looks just a good complementary winger so far.

9. Dominik Martin BICKOS (2028) - he just turned 14 a few months ago but already looks like a complete player now. You can´t find many weaknesses in his game, yes just maybe his skating is average. His best asset should be his perfect shot.

10. Jan CHOVAN (2025) - he´s also a pretty complete player with good size. Not a best skater besides that above average at everything. Pretty safe draft pick in rounds 2-5 for this upcoming draft.

11. Tomas CHRENKO (2026) - in many aspects of the game he looks like a future star. Great stickhandler, hockey IQ, vision, creativity - it´s all there. With the puck on his stick is often like a wizard but we can find also a many weak spots in his game. He needs to get stronger, better defensively and is a bit undersized.

12. Tomas POBEZAL (2025) - I think his size will hold him back, his body isn´t suited for the NHL well. Also isn´t the best playmaker. But he´ll still become a good pro-player thanks to his good shot, competitiveness or skating.

13. Alexander ORBAN (2028) - very interesting player with perfect tools. His stickhandling is excellent, he´s a master of toe-drag and that´s why he´s really fun to watch. Besides that has a good size, good shot, strength, skating - so many tools in his equipment! So far he´s very very inconsistent but it´s worthy to keep eye on him.

14. Michal PLANCAR (2026) - typical powerfoward and wrecking ball on the ice. He could become the ideal bottom liner one day, he´s strong like a bull and has a great motor. But I can´t see him to be a main offensive weapon at the next level - with the puck on his stick he isn´t a good decision maker and his stickhandling and skating are also mediocre.

15. Alexander LICHNOVSKY (2027) - another player who is full of potential. Combination of his big frame and excellent skating is too good to pass him from this list. He´s also a very creative player who wants puck on his stick and make some plays. But he should improve his stickhandling and decision making. If he succeeds at that then he can become the Slovak version of Radim Mrtka.

HM:
- Michal Capos, Matus Lisy, Michal Pradel, Andreas Straka, Michal Svrcek
2026 - Roderik Cernak, Michal Marsalek
2027 - Jakub Husar, Juraj Rausa
2028 - Dominik Stefan Domonkos, Christopher Tayler Podkonicky

Last edited:

JFA87-66-99

Jun 12, 2007
USA
2027 seems like another good year for Slovakia. I just assumed Kazda would have been #1 because he played in the hlinka tournament so young. Interesting to see 2 forwards ranked ahead of him. I always look forward to reading your stuff ty

Reactions: Martinez89

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Thanks for the rankings.

There is a 5 months difference between Tomastik (2011) and Melicherik (2010) in my ranking Tomastik is above Melicherik but it will be interesting watching them progress.

Melicherik is 185cm and played - U16
Tomastik is 155cm and played in a league bellow so - U16 2

Everywhere Melicherik goes he puts points but there are still aspects that I don't like about his game. He is forcing board battles way to often and more often he losses the puck than wins. I think this trick worked for him much more when he was younger and taller than all the other players.

Second thing I don't like about his game is that he often just floats around and waits for the puck - it often ends in shifts where he does absolutely nothing.

Now Tomastik is the opposite even though he is a very tiny, he is just much more active without the puck. If his team doesn't have the puck he just skates to a player and wins it for his team, even though he is like a head smaller than everyone else. I also like his skating and hockey sense.

The only concern is his height for now.

I know you said you don't want to include 2011 players. So sorry for brining up Tomastik.

Anyway I don't like hyping players until I see them play in the national team against a good competition. Sometimes we forget how weak the Slovak youth league is.

🇸🇰 F 2010 Luka Krizanovic is another 2010 forward that could be an interesting prospect.

Reactions: Goodman68

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
Few other thoughts:

M. Valek - This player is a complete mistery to me. :huh: He cant stand on his skates does not have any stamina and still gets 5 points. His two way game is also good very good.

T. Tomik - Biggest faller on my list.

A. Nemec - Biggest riser on my list - I think he could be the best 2007.

T. Kazda - Best slovak 2008 by far - could be ranked as the best slovak prospect if we dont count the 2010/11 youngsters.

T. Chrenko - Still the most fun player to watch.

O. Ozogany - Unfortunately I didn't see him play recently so cant comment.

Last edited:

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Even just a year or 2 can be massive difference in the future of each players. I remember seeing Nitra junior games for Nemec. Did anyone expect Adam Sykora would emerge and in 2 years be playing at WC? I did not see that at all.

I remember I thought Adam Zlnka would be a real strong player and he has not panned out.

I am a lot higher on Pobezal than you guys but I see why you are ranking him lower and understand why. The thing with even smaller guys like Pobezal is that you need to see nhl traits and for me I do. He is a work horse and is never giving up on plays, and battles with players much bigger than him. There is a role for him there in the bottom 6 of teams rosters. He will probably need to play pro around with an extra few kg’s of weight though. Maybe Gallagher type of player?

For me Tomik was disappointing because of his work rate at this past Hlinka, he often got frustrated and when he got knocked over he took his time getting back into the play or would just skate for a change leaving his team at a disadvantage.

Some other thoughts:

Chovan: I have mentioned in the other thread but I see another milos Roman here. I question his processing ability when it comes to the game. He’s also not exactly a work horse. But I do believe it would be in his best interest to play for Sudbury this year.

Nemec: Very good puck handling and his skating has improved, needs more power though. He also has a weak shot like Chrenko as well. I actually also believe he should play for Sudbury this year like Chovan.

Goljer: Very sound skater. I agree he could be very solid in the future.

Ozogany: The development path for me is pretty concerning. The U16 team he will be playing on has produced 1 NHL signed player in the past 10+ years. How many good Slovak prospects have developed through the path of minor hockey in the US?

Kazda: Kind of similar thoughts to Ozogany and I hope he would play in the USHL by the end of the season. To me there is a player here who has all the skills. Good shot, good passing, good size, good skating, hard worker. The skating is relative compared to the top players at the event, once he adds strength it will develop with it. Also what impresses me the most is he attacks inside the dots. At the Hlinka I found Chrenko and Nemec would play a bit too much on the perimeter but Kazda gets to high danger zones constantly.

I didn’t see much of Max this year so don’t have much to say on him. Tomastik on the other hand could be a really special player. His hockey iq, vision and puck handling is something I’ve never seen before from player at that age. If he can grow to around 180 cm he could be a special player.

I don’t see an elite d man on the horizon here. Luka is good but I believe he is closer to a player like Liljegren was then a player like Nemec.

I wonder if anyone will jump out and play at WJC besides Radivojevic. Also how about big poweforward types could help alot these smaller guys in the future. Let’s see if any emerge.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
After some time I´m finally ready for an update of my ranking of the most promising Slovak talents in upcoming years. Like a one year ago I was waiting for the all summer tournaments to be finished. Actually this is pretty exciting time because you can detect many new talents and improved players. And I saw a lot lot hockey so you can find a some new names in my list, and maybe some surprising ones. My list includes prospects eligible for 2025 draft until after 2010 birthyear. I´m not confident to judge and rank younger players yet - so the most promising 2011 players (Tomastik, Hornak) sorry, maybe the next time.

Top 15 ranking

Top tier
(player no.1)

1. Max MELICHERIK (2029) - I mentioned him 2 years ago on this forum as a first person that he could be "The Next Slovak one". And after 2 years nothing changed. He had excellent second half of the season and is a real gem of Slovak hockey. Big, strong 1C who has everything - shot, skating, excellent puck protection, stickhandling.

Second tier (players 2-5)

2. Oliver OZOGANY (2027) - he´s rising in my ranking all the time and now here we go. It´s a bit difficult to rank these players from US leagues but Ozogany is a good one for sure. Last summer I saw him play a lot of times in person and I was very impressed. And he confirmed his position during the season in America where he had a great numbers.

3. Matus VALEK (2027) - he missed the significant part of the season due to injury and I was curious how he´ll look. Seems like he´s back on the track pretty quickly. In the 4 nations U16 tournament in Fussen which ended today he was the best goalscorer and most productive player and looked good. Also I see a lot of room for improvement - once when he´ll get stronger he could become a hell of a player.

4. Timothy KAZDA (2027) - the youngest player from Hlinka Gretzky tournament is offensively completely legit. Sniper with elite vision and that sounds pretty good. But he still needs to work on his skating and defensive abilities.

5. Luka RADIVOJEVIC (2025) - it wasn´t the easiest decision to place him at number 5, he could be easily no.2 of this list. The best skater from this ranking. His offense is elite and his competitiveness more so. But still his transition to the pro-hockey as a undersized D is a bit questionable at this moment.

Third tier (players 6-15)

6. Tobias TOMIK (2026) - he´s a player whom scouts will like. Good skater and plays 200-ft game. Tools are there but he's still just kind of putting it together.

7. Adam GOLJER (2026) - the only 2008 defender at the Hlinka Gretzky and he finished the tournament as our 1D with 3 points in 4 games. Despite this fact his offense isn´t elite and skating is just average. He plays mature game for his age, has a good size, hockey IQ... could be still on the rise.

8. Adam NEMEC (2026) - I like he has skill and also grit in his game, he´s constantly winning puck battles. Unfortunately he´s lacking speed and that´s maybe the main reason why he looks just a good complementary winger so far.

9. Dominik Martin BICKOS (2028) - he just turned 14 a few months ago but already looks like a complete player now. You can´t find many weaknesses in his game, yes just maybe his skating is average. His best asset should be his perfect shot.

10. Jan CHOVAN (2025) - he´s also a pretty complete player with good size. Not a best skater besides that above average at everything. Pretty safe draft pick in rounds 2-5 for this upcoming draft.

11. Tomas CHRENKO (2026) - in many aspects of the game he looks like a future star. Great stickhandler, hockey IQ, vision, creativity - it´s all there. With the puck on his stick is often like a wizard but we can find also a many weak spots in his game. He needs to get stronger, better defensively and is a bit undersized.

12. Tomas POBEZAL (2025) - I think his size will hold him back, his body isn´t suited for the NHL well. Also isn´t the best playmaker. But he´ll still become a good pro-player thanks to his good shot, competitiveness or skating.

13. Alexander ORBAN (2028) - very interesting player with perfect tools. His stickhandling is excellent, he´s a master of toe-drag and that´s why he´s really fun to watch. Besides that has a good size, good shot, strength, skating - so many tools in his equipment! So far he´s very very inconsistent but it´s worthy to keep eye on him.

14. Michal PLANCAR (2026) - typical powerfoward and wrecking ball on the ice. He could become the ideal bottom liner one day, he´s strong like a bull and has a great motor. But I can´t see him to be a main offensive weapon at the next level - with the puck on his stick he isn´t a good decision maker and his stickhandling and skating are also mediocre.

15. Alexander LICHNOVSKY (2027) - another player who is full of potential. Combination of his big frame and excellent skating is too good to pass him from this list. He´s also a very creative player who wants puck on his stick and make some plays. But he should improve his stickhandling and decision making. If he succeeds at that then he can become the Slovak version of Radim Mrtka.

HM:
- Michal Capos, Matus Lisy, Michal Pradel, Andreas Straka, Michal Svrcek
2026 - Roderik Cernak, Michal Marsalek
2027 - Jakub Husar, Juraj Rausa
2028 - Dominik Stefan Domonkos, Christopher Tayler Podkonicky
My “like” button has disappeared (it might disappear for longer if I explain why), but this is excellent and deserves a like. Great work!

I also appreciate the comments from @Antiillafire and @Pazucha. I’m still learning about all these players, and the discourse is helpful.

Last edited:

Rusty7550

Aug 11, 2018
I still think Stankoven can be really good player. Yes, he didnt score many points at recent U17 tournament but i liked his hockey IQ and overall defensive work, he can play both C and W, fantastic skater, he just need to put everything together. This season should tell us more.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
I would like to mention two more players: Leonard Svajda (10) and Oskar Horinka (11).
Many strong Slovaks have an "uncertain" status - will they still be Slovaks when the draft time comes? Here are these names: Sebastian Taliga, Richard Halas, Tomas Selic. Taliga already has a very good chance of being Czech (the other two - probably not, but who knows...). Ignoring many strong hockey players in terms of inviting them to the Slovak national team may play a negative role in the choice of one or another player's final place of "residence".
And the Slovaks may miss out on another player: the new rising star of Slovak hockey, Mario Vaksmansky, is already trying on an English (!) jersey.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
I would like to mention two more players: Leonard Svajda (10) and Oskar Horinka (11).
Many strong Slovaks have an "uncertain" status - will they still be Slovaks when the draft time comes? Here are these names: Sebastian Taliga, Richard Halas, Tomas Selic. Taliga already has a very good chance of being Czech (the other two - probably not, but who knows...). Ignoring many strong hockey players in terms of inviting them to the Slovak national team may play a negative role in the choice of one or another player's final place of "residence".
And the Slovaks may miss out on another player: the new rising star of Slovak hockey, Mario Vaksmansky, is already trying on an English (!) jersey.

I read some time ago a rumour on twitter that Taliga is trying to switch citizenship from Slovak to Czech. Usually these kind of rumours have some truth to it. I don't think a sane person would go around twitter lying about kids just for fun.

Still hoping there is hope he gets invited to Slovak National Team and changes his mind. The clock is ticking for SZLH..

Also never heard about Mario Vaksmansky :dunno: i will be following him thanks.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad