Slovak prospects - Top 10 rankings (updated July 3rd)

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Jan Korec isn’t a draft prospect. I’m not even sure he’d be a top 3 2023 eligible goalie from Slovakia. He has a lot to work on based on watching the past U20 tournament.

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Jan Korec isn’t a draft prospect. I’m not even sure he’d be a top 3 2023 eligible goalie from Slovakia. He has a lot to work on based on watching the past U20 tournament.
Yes, he looked useless in the game where he started. It was just one game but everything ended in the net, it was embarrassing. Probably he won´t be that bad but no way he can be ahead of Strbak and Molnar in Elvs ranking.

Reactions: Antiillafire

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
This boy is only 11 years old. Why do you think, he is the "Next Slovak One"?
Easy answer, I´ve seen him play several times that´s why :)

Well, seriously. He´s still 11 but on the ice he looks like 14 y.o. skilled player. I would say he´s already better than the best 12 or 13 years old players in Slovakia. It´s not a coincidence he´s killing it on international tournaments among much more older opponents. From what I saw, despite his very young age, I´m confident to say he´s the best next Slovak talent and it´s not even close.

• Wow
Reactions: kudla

JotAlan

Apr 21, 2020
Easy answer, I´ve seen him play several times that´s why :)

Well, seriously. He´s still 11 but on the ice he looks like 14 y.o. skilled player. I would say he´s already better than the best 12 or 13 years old players in Slovakia. It´s not a coincidence he´s killing it on international tournaments among much more older opponents. From what I saw, despite his very young age, I´m confident to say he´s the best next Slovak talent and it´s not even close.
Where will he play this season? Any chance to play in u16 league?

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Where will he play this season? Any chance to play in u16 league?
Certainly not there, that age category no longer exists in Slovak hockey. From this upcoming season there is a new redistribution in Slovak juniors hockey leagues. There should be categories U20, U17 and then U15 (9th grade), U14 (8th), U13, U12...

And I have no info where Melicherik will play, it depends on his coaches and that´s not me :) But I expect him stays in Trencin and plays mostly in U14 category and probably some games in U15 if he´ll show he is ready for that.

alko

Oct 20, 2004
Slovakia
www.slovakhockey.sk
Certainly not there, that age category no longer exists in Slovak hockey. From this upcoming season there is a new redistribution in Slovak juniors hockey leagues. There should be categories U20, U17 and then U15 (9th grade), U14 (8th), U13, U12...

And I have no info where Melicherik will play, it depends on his coaches and that´s not me :) But I expect him stays in Trencin and plays mostly in U14 category and probably some games in U15 if he´ll show he is ready for that.

Ok, i have to book his name. Will re-post your names to this topic also. It could be fun look back in some years.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
After the first month of the season, I would predict 5-7 Slovaks in the 2023 draft.

Dalibor Dvorsky - top 15, a slight drop since he doesn't play AllSvenskan, but "only" J20 Nationell, but there is still a lot of potential, skilled center, he has all the tools to be a top 6 C in the NHL one day, but he needs to work on his skating, even though it's not his weakness

Alex Ciernik - the end of the first round / the beginning of the second round, I expected him to play in the AllSvenskan more often, but he's not quite physically ready yet, anyway Alex has all the tolls to be at the end of the first round

Maxim Strbak - the end of the first round / the beginning of the second round, a bit of a riser for me after the summer WJC and the start of the season, and with less competition among defensemen fort his draft, he could realistically end up in the late first round, a tall, tough defenseman who can defend and has signs of offensive abilities as well

Ondrej Molnar - middle rounds, he is not scoring points in the Slovak Extraliga so far, Nitra is weaker this season and he doesn't get much ice time, but it's always great to watch him play when he has the puck on his stick (Patrick Kane lite version), but it's probably better for him if he goes to the OHL like Martin Chromiak

Samuel Honzek - middle rounds, i was surprised how he was able to adapt in the WHL considering the fact that he doesn't have the best skating and movement, but this only increased his chances for a successful draft, he has an excellent positional game and scorer's instinct

Frantisek Ridzon and Martin Misiak - middle to late rounds

Possible sleepers: Daniel Alexander Jencko, Lukas Klecka, Leo Eperjesi, Jan Korec, Juraj Pekarcik

Possible overagers: Alex Sotek, Marian Mosko, Viliam Kmec, David Natny, Lubomir Kupco

As far as the 2024 draft is concerned, only 2 players are realistic to consider at the moment, Jakub Chromiak and Theo Kiss.

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
Most prospects have played 10+ games, even more in some cases. How I see them:

1. Dvorsky
2. Ciernik
3. Honzek
4. Strbak
5. Molnar
6. Misiak
7. Eperjesi
8. Korec
9. Ridzon
10. Pekarcik

I think an argument can be made for any of the guys in spots 2-4, to claim the second spot. Honzek is the one in particular to watch. The top 6 will probably all be at the WJC (maybe Molnar questionable). Korec to me is a wild card, his initial numbers look good in the USHL, but can he sustain them?

HamburgerSK

Jan 18, 2022
Alex Čiernik hasn't been playing since Oct.,1st. Surely not good for him and his draft chances. Any information about how serious his injury is?

tmlmatus

Dec 29, 2013
Toronto
He's not injured. He was vaccinated for Covid and given rest. He started training a few days ago.
That's good to hear. Didn't he not participate in the summer WJC cause he wasn't vaccinated ?

Sometimes you gotta put your beliefs aside and do what's best for your career.

Reactions: hellwar9

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I read on twitter that Kamil Bednarik is of Slovak origin.

He's one of the best American players for the 2024 draft, potentially even the best.

Probably ends up another Matthew Knies type of equation for Slovakia, but something for Slovakian fans to know about anyway.

mirec04

Sep 3, 2018
Slovakia
I read on twitter that Kamil Bednarik is of Slovak origin.

He's one of the best American players for the 2024 draft, potentially even the best.

Probably ends up another Matthew Knies type of equation for Slovakia, but something for Slovakian fans to know about anyway.
I noticed him now while playing for U17 and was wondering whether he has Slovak roots. Unfortunately he will probably not be available to represent us.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Martinez89

May 20, 2019
Of course, a lot will change in the future but right now the most promising youngsters starting from 2025 draft can be like that :

1. Max Melicherik - an absolute beast for his age and has all the potential to be "The Next Big Thing" in SVK
2. Juraj Rausa
3. Tomas Pobezal
4. Michal Lazovsky
5. Jan Chovan
6. Tobias Tomik
7. Adam Nemec
8. Ivan Matta
9. Timothy Kazda
10. Michal Svrcek
11. Oliver Ozogany

...and there are many players who could get easily on positions 6-11, it´s close there. and yes, defense can be the problem in upcoming years I don´t see any special names there so far
Just for interest if I should update these my ranking of young Slovak prospects from what I´ve seen this season so far (2025 and younger), I would rank them :

1. MELICHERIK Max
2. NEMEC Adam
3. POBEZAL Tomas
4. RADIVOJEVIC Luka
5. MISAK Samuel
6. KAZDA Timothy
7. RAUSA Juraj
8. MATTA Ivan
9. SVRCEK Michal
10. LAZOVSKY Michal

HM : Jakub Dubravik, Jan Chovan, Tomas Chrenko, Oliver Ozogany.

The easiest choice was Max Melicherik on the 1st, I´m incredibly high on this 12 y.o. kid, absolutely respect him as a hockey player. Of course I know, he´s far from being a sure thing in this age but damn, he´s good.

Then it´s completely open and the order can and will change in the future on these positions in various ways. But for now, this is how I see it.

Last edited:
Reactions: hellwar9

Antiillafire

May 1, 2021
Trnava, Slovakia
How many drafted players this year?

Dvorsky, Honzek, Ciernik, Strbak, Molnar, Misiak. I believe these 6 players are locks.

May get drafted: Gajan, Barcik, Pekarcik, Dej.

hellwar9

Jul 17, 2017
Slovakia
I have a very good feeling that one of the duo Dej/Pekarcik will have a great U18 World Championship and will rise like Jakub Demek did in 2021. So 7-8 is a realistic number, but let's wait until the end of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad