Friedman: Slavin and Hurricanes working on a long-term extension

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

canuckslover10

Apr 10, 2014
You don’t know Jaccob Slavin I guess. Chasing every last dollar is not what’s important to him at all. Canes will pay him because he’s worth it but it’s likely going to come in less than what he would get on the open market. When Staal retires he’s the Canes next captain. He means everything to the org and community and other than faith and family they mean everything to him.
Bro you acting like you guys are best friends 😭😭, he can still sign with the canes after he goes to the open market so he may as well test it out unless they offer 8 years then it wouldn’t make any sense for him to go to the open market.

newsportsfan123

Dec 16, 2019
People say this about every single guy that signs at 29-30. Like every single time. This guy is different he's going to age very well. It just doesn't happen for guys like Slavin. Guys that tend to still have decent careers into their 30s are offensive D man who can still QB a PP. Only 2 guys in the league right now are 35+ and playing 20+ minutes. Letang & Burns. Slavin isn't that type of D man.

Your defensively elite guys that rely on their athleticism always fall off quicker.
Chris Tanev must've fell off the Earth? He's still pretty good defensively.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
Chris Tanev must've fell off the Earth? He's still pretty good defensively.
And you would not want to be paying Tanev 9M+

He also isn't even playing 20+ minutes a season anymore.

Players don't fall off the earth. It's a gradual decline into their 30s.

If Slavin signed a 4 year deal it wouldn't be an issue. If he signs for 8 years that's what makes it an issue. That's just guaranteed to age poorly.

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
Bro you acting like you guys are best friends 😭😭, he can still sign with the canes after he goes to the open market so he may as well test it out unless they offer 8 years then it wouldn’t make any sense for him to go to the open market.
Never met the guy but you should maybe google him so you might learn a bit about him as a person and what’s important to him. You’re painting him as he’s like any other player/person in the league and he’s very much not that at all. Canes want him to stay and he wants to stay. It’s just like the Brind’Amour situation. How are all those takes of ‘he’s leaving for a bigger pay check and bigger spotlight’ looking?

It’s ok if you don’t know anything about the Hurricanes, their players and their organization in general. Probably best just not to post about them publicly

Last edited:
Reactions: cptjeff

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
The Canes have a notoriously narrow definition of what a core player is. Slavin is one of those cases. This news comes as no surprise.
Carolina has typically stayed away from giving older players long term deals. No issues adding mid 30's guys on short term like a Patches, and even a 30% retained 37 year old Burns. Slavvin is going to be 31 when the new deal begins. NO reason it should go max term til he's 39.

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
Carolina has typically stayed away from giving older players long term deals. No issues adding mid 30's guys on short term like a Patches, and even a 30% retained 37 year old Burns. Slavvin is going to be 31 when the new deal begins. NO reason it should go max term til he's 39.

Who says that it's going to be max-term? I bet you it's 6-7 years. LeBrun reported that the Canes recently put in both 7 and 8 year offers for Guentzel. Maybe (probably?) he won't sign it, but the Canes are not a team that's unwilling to make an exception for the right player at the right cap hit.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
On the most recent 32 thoughts Friedman says he believes the Slavin extension is pretty much done, they just have to wait until July 1st.

38 minute mark. (Might be 30-40 seconds later)

• Wow
Reactions: Finlandia WOAT

EK392000

Mar 9, 2020
Looking at the Devon Toews contract as a comparable, my guess is 8 years at 7.5 million. Think he takes a bit of a discount for that eighth year.

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
If it gone done this early, with the way Carolina operates, I'm guessing it's a bit of a sweetheart deal.

7 x 6.74m

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Hopefully he ages well for the canes

Sharks signed Marc Edward Vlasic to a long term deal in his late 20s/early 39s and it was a disaster

Slavin is the better player, and doesnt have any injury concerns in the past so he should be worth the deal for 4/5 years

Very unlikely he will be a 8-9M player in years 6 to 8 of the deal but that is the price to pay to contend and try to win now

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Gliff

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2011
Middle Tennessee

Sharks signed Marc Edward Vlasic to a long term deal in his late 20s/early 39s and it was a disaster

Slavin is the better player, and doesnt have any injury concerns in the past so he should be worth the deal for 4/5 years

Very unlikely he will be a 8-9M player in years 6 to 8 of the deal but that is the price to pay to contend and try to win now
Vlasic was better.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

Vlasic in his prime was better than Slavin. Not by much, but he was. People are forgetting how damn good he was from 2010 to 2017. He won Olympic Gold with Canada in 2014 and during the Sharks’ SCF run in 2016 he was one the ice for like one or two even strength goals against in the whole run.

If the Canes are smart, they’ll give him more AVV but less term.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Vlasic in his prime was better than Slavin. Not by much, but he was. People are forgetting how damn good he was from 2010 to 2017. He won Olympic Gold with Canada in 2014 and during the Sharks’ SCF run in 2016 he was one the ice for like one or two even strength goals against in the whole run.

If the Canes are smart, they’ll give him more AVV but less term.
I am biased but I'd rank Slavin better. He is the best defensemen I have ever seen play. He is the best defenseman in the world if comparing just in terms of defensive ability. Offensively, he usually ranks around 20-30th amongst defensemen in even strength points but he has virtually no power play time, so that gets held against him. He is the human eraser, the equivalent of having a Revis island when he is on the ice (though less apt a comparison due to the free flowing nature of hockey vs the more positionally static football).

Reactions: Tryamw and cptjeff

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
I think Slavin’s lanky physique, agile skating for a big man, long stick and other worldly ability to use it makes him better than what Vlasic was. It’s a good comparison though, I have a lot of respect for what Vlasic was as a player.

Mid 20’s Slavin/Pesce was the best defensive pairing I’ve ever seen. It’s a shame they were wasted on such crap teams. If they had done what they did in a bigger or Canadian market these conversations wouldn’t exist.

I hate plus minus but that season where the entire team was minus and the two of them were above plus 20 despite the teams forwards not being able to hit water falling out of a boat, with neither of them being offensive minded and used for a lot of tough minutes was mind blowing to me. I’ve never found good defense highlight worthy, but Slavin especially should have a highlight reel YouTube video dedicated to humiliating escape moves attached to second and third escape moves into a perfect 60 ft breakout pass over and over again. He made watching good defense fun. These days he’s much more of a make one quick shift to open up space and get it out of the zone. That’s obviously still a very good thing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad