Friedman: Slavin and Hurricanes working on a long-term extension

Poppy Whoa Sonnet

J'Accuse!
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2007
Well he's a shutdown dman, so not sure that's at all relevant.
It's just cool that the guy that started the debate on age curves in earnest now is the GM and has a test with Slavin. I understand the analysis is based on scoring rates, but that's also cause scoring rates are much more easily measurable, certainly to an amateur posting on SBNation.

Vlasic was brought up in the thread as well, which is a scary comparable contract of course.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Carolina has been very conservative with 30+ contracts, controversially letting Hamilton and Trochek go in free agency. An isolated one is affordable.
In principle I get the why of it but at the same time it severely limits them like now losing Jake who played at an elite level.
The canes have made the playoffs for what 8 years in a row? Yet they've underachieved at best to downright failing depending on expectations.
Maybe it's not related or maybe if they were a little more flexible, towards older players things would be different.

Is this another example of anylytics saying older player bad? Cuz if that's why they have this approach it's a really dumb reason since anylytics can't measure or predict heart and intangibles like grit.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
For every Vlasic there are plenty of guys who age very well. He's more of an exception than the rule.

For really good players, yes, a large chunk of them do keep their skills long-term. It's a big reason why the average age of the good teams has been ticking up again after going downwards in the mid-to-late 2010s. The reason why the Canes are picky about UFAs, though, is because they love maintaining their cap flexibility above all other things.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
It's 6 straight years, and they've won a playoff series each of those years, with 8 total series wins in those 6 years. Hard to say that's a failure.
When you are considered a cup favourite and bow out in the 2nd round and swept in a series or two, ya I'd say that's a failure but I'm the type that doesn't believe in everyone's a winner and gets a participation ribbon and anything less than 1st is a failure. Especially for a team that's been there six years in a row and was considered a legit team to at least get out of the East

Reactions: Samhockey3

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Not gonna lie.

The Canes were always going to do this, and that's good, their backend would be screwed without him as the anchor.

But I did kind of want to see him playing with Makar.

It's prioritizing long term cap flexibility over everything else
There are other ways to keep flexible with the cap. If and I'm not sure age is the reason or if Jake even wants to stay but if the reason they let him walk is so 5 years from now when they for all we know might suck was just to have flexibility, well that's just dumb.
Besides locking up Jake now with the cap at 88 million means in 3-4 years when the cap is high 90's or more, it's even less of an issue, especially if they manage to win.

Big Daddy Cane

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2010
Western PA
In principle I get the why of it but at the same time it severely limits them like now losing Jake who played at an elite level.
The canes have made the playoffs for what 8 years in a row? Yet they've underachieved at best to downright failing depending on expectations.
Maybe it's not related or maybe if they were a little more flexible, towards older players things would be different.

Is this another example of anylytics saying older player bad? Cuz if that's why they have this approach it's a really dumb reason since anylytics can't measure or predict heart and intangibles like grit.

At this point, I’ll give management the benefit of the doubt.

At one time, I didn’t think they’d be able to replace Faulk. They did (Skjei). I was wrong.

I was concerned about letting Hamilton go. They haven’t missed him on the ice at all and saved meaningful cap space in the process.

The optics of Trocheck are bad, but if you look at how he performed in the playoffs as a Hurricane, there hasn’t been much of a dropoff.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
When you are considered a cup favourite and bow out in the 2nd round and swept in a series or two, ya I'd say that's a failure but I'm the type that doesn't believe in everyone's a winner and gets a participation ribbon and anything less than 1st is a failure. Especially for a team that's been there six years in a row and was considered a legit team to at least get out of the East
Look at the teams that have eliminated them:

Boston (cup finalist)
Boston
Tampa (cup winner)
NYR
Florida (cup finalist)
NYR

It's not like they're losing to bad teams. And they haven't really been considered serious cup contenders until the last few years. They've been eliminated by Shesterkin, Bobrovsky, or Vasilevsky in each of the last 4 years (getting goalie'd hard in two of those series).

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021
He's a huge part of the team. Deserves 8 years but will not end well obviously. They will be lucky to get 3-4 more good years out of him. Tough position.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
He's a huge part of the team. Deserves 8 years but will not end well obviously. They will be lucky to get 3-4 more good years out of him. Tough position.
He just turned 30 and is a tremendous skater. Even if he slowly loses a bit of edge, he should age quite well. The way he uses his positioning and stick work in combination with his mobility - there’s nothing about that that should fall off a cliff at age 33 or 34. I’d bet he’s still a very good player into the final years of an extension, even if it’s a slow step down from ace top pairing guy to more of a second pair and PK usage on the back couple of years.

I really think people are correlating this too much with Vlasic…I suspect of defenders around 29 or 30 who get big money and max years, Slavin will be among the least problematic in years 7 or 8. It’s not a tough position at all for Carolina to do this.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
He just turned 30 and is a tremendous skater. Even if he slowly loses a bit of edge, he should age quite well. The way he uses his positioning and stick work in combination with his mobility - there’s nothing about that that should fall off a cliff at age 33 or 34. I’d bet he’s still a very good player into the final years of an extension, even if it’s a slow step down from ace top pairing guy to more of a second pair and PK usage on the back couple of years.

I really think people are correlating this too much with Vlasic…I suspect of defenders around 29 or 30 who get big money and max years, Slavin will be among the least problematic in years 7 or 8. It’s not a tough position at all for Carolina to do this.
Agreed, I suspect he'll age quite well. His defensive style is stylistically very similar to Lidstrom. Positional, high IQ defender.

TommyDangles

Jun 18, 2021

People say this about every single guy that signs at 29-30. Like every single time. This guy is different he's going to age very well. It just doesn't happen for guys like Slavin. Guys that tend to still have decent careers into their 30s are offensive D man who can still QB a PP. Only 2 guys in the league right now are 35+ and playing 20+ minutes. Letang & Burns. Slavin isn't that type of D man.

Your defensively elite guys that rely on their athleticism always fall off quicker.

Reactions: Conbon

GIN ANTONIC

Aug 19, 2007
Toronto, ON
he would be dumb not to test the market unless the Canes are willing to give him an 8 year deal.
You don’t know Jaccob Slavin I guess. Chasing every last dollar is not what’s important to him at all. Canes will pay him because he’s worth it but it’s likely going to come in less than what he would get on the open market. When Staal retires he’s the Canes next captain. He means everything to the org and community and other than faith and family they mean everything to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad