Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming!

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
Once again, no one was criticizing ANYTHING about Michkov coming over until Mr. Positivity came in with likely ulterior motives, based off of prior history, with his post.
For reference, I just read through this entire thread again, and no one even referenced my post with negativity until you decided to make a page long meme. But yeah, "Mr positivity".

mja

Everything was beautiful, and nothing hurt
Jan 7, 2005
Lucy the Elephant's Belly
Nobody’s trying to change anyone’s opinion on any of those things. That wasn’t a “hard sell”. That’s one dude telling you his opinion, and then dozens of frequent posters entering with hostility to tell him he’s wrong for believing it.

The hostility was not from the person expressing moderate satisfaction with Briere. It was entirely from the hoarde that (as usual) piled on to say “no, it all sucks and you’re silly for thinking anything otherwise”.

I don’t know. Maybe people can’t see it when they’re part of the crowd, but this is obviously what happened. It feels like trying to explain water to a fish. It’s just the level of righteous indignation that I find genuinely fascinating. People are legitimately *upset* to see fans who are not quite as despondent as them. And it’s not even fans who are overly happy! Just moderate expressions of cautious satisfaction set this off!
Interesting bit about the fish. You do realize that you're also a fish, in a different pool of water, also unable to understand water. Sometimes the crowd is right. Sometimes it's not. But it's not because it's a crowd and it's surly that it's wrong. Sometimes a large number of dissatisfied like-minded people are dead on balls accurate. Sometimes the isolated moderates preaching patience are dead wrong.

As for the hostility, this isn't just some mild-mannered poster here to express a little optimism and then getting killed for it. His routine is well known. Meanwhile, I'm honestly trying to work on the hostile part a bit. I can't tell you how many replies I start to type up but then soften dramatically or just delete outright and move on. But keep in mind that hostility been nurtured over the last decade plus of the usual suspects constantly trying to piss on our legs and tell us it's raining as we've watched in horror the team we've loved since childhood slide into a black hole. Honestly, I was pretty chill until deadhead and GB tried to sell me on Hakstol well past the point of it being obvious that he was a literal hack. And then Chuck blowing the 2019 off-season and a bunch of folks trying to tell me I was being overly negative didn't help. And then when I was right about everything, the same people either forgetting about their strident support of the organization or doubling and tripling down.

And of course you are trying to change opinions, in the sense that you would like this place to be a little less doom and gloom. That's rather obvious, given the amount of words you've typed speaking to this. I don't even blame anyone for that. It's a forum. That's kind of the point and I even get the desire to have this place be less negative. God knows I'd love to be less negative about this stupid f***ing team.

I can genuinely say, hand on heart, that it was meant as a, " Briere is getting some positive shit done", just a list of stuff that I'm actually happy we (as in the organisation) have achieved, it wasn't meant to incite another round of bashing. The fact that it was taken as that is pretty shitty.

I don't think many people actually expected to see Michov for another 2 years. We got him and Fedotov now. I'm excited, f*** me I guess.

It's getting pretty tiresome that anything that isn't negative is met with this "Mr positivity" or "authentic" trope. If that doesn't work, then it's "stop policing the forums". It's getting to the point where it's pointless posting. I'll only get another infraction.

Edit: on cue....

I'm trying to keep this polite, but to me that list was trying a bit too hard and felt out of place in this thread. I mean, AI could have handled the Hart situation, but to the extent that Danny should get some cred for navigating the Michkov situation successfully, kudos to him, absolutely.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
For reference, I just read through this entire thread again, and no one even referenced my post with negativity until you decided to make a page long meme. But yeah, "Mr positivity".
I didn't reference your post at all with my "page long meme."

My "page long meme" was in reference to another persecuted positive person (PPP) that decided to claim that they were shocked that you haven't been banned yet for expressing your thoughts.

People don't get banned for expressing opinions. It's fabricated victim mentality.

freakydallas13

Jan 30, 2007
Victoria, BC
Now who's arguing in bad faith. No one has said its an "Uber victory". It was just a good move. Something we haven't seen around these parts in a long time.

I don't understand why everything has to be a major win or major loss here.
I'm pointing out your threshold for "pros" Briere has done includes the equivalent of trading a couple seconds for a late first. I said this is a good thing, we all agree on that.

But that is like, the bare minimum you should expect from a competent GM? Moving up or down in the draft is something every single GM (including bad ones like Hextall) does? I dunno, just seems to me that the floor to tick some boxes off as a "win" for Briere is incredibly low when things like this are included.

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
I can genuinely say, hand on heart, that it was meant as a, " Briere is getting some positive shit done", just a list of stuff that I'm actually happy we (as in the organisation) have achieved, it wasn't meant to incite another round of bashing. The fact that it was taken as that is pretty shitty.

I don't think many people actually expected to see Michov for another 2 years. We got him and Fedotov now. I'm excited, f*** me I guess.

It's getting pretty tiresome that anything that isn't negative is met with this "Mr positivity" or "authentic" trope. If that doesn't work, then it's "stop policing the forums". It's getting to the point where it's pointless posting. I'll only get another infraction.

Edit: on cue....
But it wasn't just Michkov and Ivan and you know that. You listed way more than just that and that's the part that got criticized. It almost feels intentional like you crave the "negativity" cause you would assume by now you would know how most posters would respond to "Briere did great by signing Poehling and Hathaway".

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
OK! Time for me to be positive by being honest.

I have done my absolute utmost to not think at all about how this came to be. What happened behind the scenes. I'm just going to buy the reasoning that this is just out of the charity of everyone's charitable soul. Because if it isn't, and the Flyers arranged some form of payment, then they better pray to their god Clarke that their highly public boon doesn't fall under DOJ scrutiny. Because it would mean arranging some kind payment to an organization that falls afoul of a wide circle of sanctions.

But hey, I'm sure the people who still struggle with the NHL CBA won't have any trouble navigating that front. And Michkov is very cool.

giphy.gif

PDX Flyer

Lost in the Woods
Nov 13, 2019
OK! Time for me to be positive by being honest.

I have done my absolute utmost to not think at all about how this came to be. What happened behind the scenes. I'm just going to buy the reasoning that this is just out of the charity of everyone's charitable soul. Because if it isn't, and the Flyers arranged some form of payment, then they better pray to their god Clarke that their highly public boon doesn't fall under DOJ scrutiny. Because it would mean arranging some kind payment to an organization that falls afoul of a wide circle of sanctions.

But hey, I'm sure the people who still struggle with the NHL CBA won't have any trouble navigating that front. And Michkov is very cool.

giphy.gif

We all know the MM money came from the banana stand

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I'm pointing out your threshold for "pros" Briere has done includes the equivalent of trading a couple seconds for a late first. I said this is a good thing, we all agree on that.

But that is like, the bare minimum you should expect from a competent GM? Moving up or down in the draft is something every single GM (including bad ones like Hextall) does? I dunno, just seems to me that the floor to tick some boxes off as a "win" for Briere is incredibly low when things like this are included.
That's precisely my point.

We haven't had a competent GM in my lifetime of watching this team. It's nice that our GM is making competent moves for the first time in decades.

It's a win in my book if it isn't completely f***ing stupid. That's what supporting this team has done to me.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Last point I’ll make is that the cultish doomerism is evident to basically anyone who observes this place, Flyers fan or not. It feels empowering to be part of an insular crowd, all fueled by each other’s righteous indignation, but that behavior is really weird! And people can see it! It’s why there are lurkers here who don’t post. This place is extraordinarily hostile to people who don’t subscribe to the groupthinking doomerism.

You all can continue believing in the righteousness of your hostility — “we’re just doom and gloom because we’re right!” — and that’s fine, but it’s very cultish, and people see it for what it is.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Last point I’ll make is that the cultish doomerism is evident to basically anyone who observes this place, Flyers fan or not. It feels empowering to be part of an insular crowd, all fueled by each other’s righteous indignation, but that behavior is really weird! And people can see it! It’s why there are lurkers here who don’t post. This place is extraordinarily hostile to people who don’t subscribe to the groupthinking doomerism.

You all can continue believing in the righteousness of your hostility — “we’re just doom and gloom because we’re right!” — and that’s fine, but it’s very cultish, and people see it for what it is.

Meanwhile, you whine about fans of a bad team noticing the team is still doing the things that make them bad, and you act like that makes you superior and then you try to talk down on people who usually end up being in the right. Peak hypocrisy. I cannot imagine how you can be so full of yourself to lecture anyone else about false righteousness. Total lack of self awareness.

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Meanwhile, you whine about fans of a bad team noticing the team is still doing the things that make them bad, and you act like that makes you superior and then you try to talk down on people who usually end up being in the right. Peak hypocrisy. I cannot imagine how you can be so full of yourself to lecture anyone else about false righteousness. Total lack of self awareness.
Hilarious because no one says the team isn’t bad! No one says the team is wonderfully managed!

Just read this thread. The hostility is exclusively coming from one side. The sarcasm and dismissiveness is only coming from one side. The piling on is only coming from one side. The talking down to people is coming from one side!

But here, I *will* talk down to you, and, specifically you: I think you’re a simple mind who genuinely can not comprehend what people are saying to you, and you feel empowered being part of the group of people with The Right Opinions. Whether that’s because you’re unequipped to comprehend simple things, I don’t know, but at least try to be responsive to the complaints people have!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Hilarious because no one says the team isn’t bad! No one says the team is wonderfully managed!

Just read this thread. The hostility is exclusively coming from one side. The sarcasm and dismissiveness is only coming from one side. The piling on is only coming from one side. The talking down to people is coming from one side!

But here, I *will* talk down to you, and, specifically you: I think you’re a simple mind who genuinely can not comprehend what people are saying to you, and you feel empowered being part of the group of people with The Right Opinions. Whether that’s because you’re unequipped to comprehend simple things, I don’t know, but at least try to be responsive to the complaints people have!

Stix routinely insists management is good ackshually and then becomes highly abrasive when anyone disagrees. That fits your need for contrarianism so you enjoy it.

And my god, the level of projection you're casting onto me. Incredible. All while stumbling around in a situation you're new to and ignorant of, running on pure assumption. It's your own autobiography. Made even funnier by the Musk avatar, the current king of the personality type described.

Reactions: Ironmanrulez

Random Forest

May 12, 2010
Stix routinely nsists management is good ackshually and then becomes highly abrasive when anyone disagrees.

And my god, the level of projection you're casting onto me. Incredible. All while stumbling around in a situation you're new to and ignorant of, running on pure assumption. It's your own autobiography. Made even funnier by the Musk avatar.
Buddy, you’ve been like this for years. No assumptions necessary. The way you lord around an Internet forum pompously dismissing Wrong Opinions is plain for anyone outside of your bubble to see.

• Haha
Reactions: trostol

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Buddy, you’ve been like this for years. No assumptions necessary. The way you lord around an Internet forum pompously dismissing Wrong Opinions is plain for anyone outside of your bubble to see.

I also have an inbox full of conversations with users with suggestions and complaints where I am doing the thing you insist I cannot.

Why, it's almost like the problem is you and your whole approach.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008

I’m strongly in favor of leaving room for disagreement in dopey hockey matters, but what tends to happen in these situations is that a lurker gets bothered enough to post something and then the tone is confrontational. And the most confrontational responses to that get traction. It spirals from there. Not anyone’s fault, just how the internet works. When I personally respond is usually when the wording is along the line of “this board” having an opinion because that’s the laziest opinion you can possibly have. I hate lazy.

I’m not completely doom and gloom on the Flyers the way I was two years ago. I also don’t have much faith in them. For me, passing the Michkov bar was a marker. It should be fine to acknowledge that and still want more to be confident. While the topic may be the Flyers, most of my posts are about how to build an NHL franchise because that’s what interests me. Maybe it’s just that I make liberal use of the ignore list, but most of the responses disagreeing with me are perfectly pleasant outside of corner cases like Provorov’s career. That one got weird. :laugh:

FlyerNutter

In the forest, a man learns what it means to live
Jun 22, 2018
Winnipeg
You have to kind of know the crowd.

I’ve posted some things that obvs were not going to be taken well by the majority - not naive of the fallout likely to come. Be it little political beliefs, getting on players that are likeable to a portion of the fanbase, or on posters who are generally liked.

Speak your mind, and own the push back. Have the gall to do so, and laugh off the nonsense. HF to me is a place that generally when it comes to the team I agree with most of the viewpoints. Enjoy seeing the different ones, even if I think sometimes they are BS.

End of the day it’s just a message board with a bunch of losers who could probably have more of a life than spending some of it here. Hell it’s low key therapy for me probably for this turd ass team that I used to love.

Enjoy it for what it is, and get outside as much as you can.

Kum bah yah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad