Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming!

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
So just to clarify, Briere so far has

Pros
1. Handled the Hart situation
2. Handled the Cutter situation reasonably well all else considering
3. Managed to bring Fedotov out of Russia when it looked dead
4. Managed to bring Michov over 2 years early and against all odds.
5. Pulled off a great Provorov trade
6. Acquired another first rounder for Walker.
7. Signed and re-upped Phoeling for nothing.
8. Signed Tippet to a reasonable extension
9. Acquired Rizzo for nothing
10. Signed Hathaway
11. Acquired a few picks through retention.

Cons
1. Traded a 4th for Johnson
2. Hasn't traded Laughton yet

I'm starting to really like our sneaky little bastard. Can't wait till he trades Farabee for Reaves and makes me hate him.

You forgot that by not rebuilding he's already wasted half of Michkov 's career. Pretty big con! Very negative to leave that out.

Last edited:

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I haven't been through the entire thread yet, but you're really sticking them out there with a post like this. I'm surprised you haven't been banned. Everything the Flyers do is awful, first graders could do a better job than anyone in the org, Briere is in over his head, and there are no redeeming qualities about the org and they should just fold.

EDIT - I was pretty spot on.
As opposed to you cheering on a list of accomplishments, 20% of which consist of signing 4th line players in free agency?

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
Something for that clown, McCagg, to ruminate on:

With the Habs passing on Michkov, possibly due to the perceived three-year waiting period, they might be licking their chops at snagging Demidov at 5OA. However, with what has just transpired with Michkov, any chance of Demidov dropping due to similar concerns might be completely mitigated. What a treat it would be if the Habs missed out if Demidov goes 4OA a year after they corrected course with their draft strategy of last year.

BiggE

SELL THE DAMN TEAM
Jan 4, 2019
Somewhere, FL

With the Habs passing on Michkov, possibly due to the perceived three-year waiting period, they might be licking their chops at snagging Demidov at 5OA. However, with what has just transpired with Michkov, any chance of Demidov dropping due to similar concerns might be completely mitigated. What a treat it would be if the Habs missed out if Demidov goes 4OA a year after they corrected course with their draft strategy of last year.
I still think Chicago takes Demidov at #2

Reactions: dragonoffrost

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
8v2f23.jpg

scumpup

Nov 29, 2021
Don't forget, he "handled the Hart situation". I guess Danny moonlights with the Ontario prosecutors office.
detective scum here, what do you mean Danny "handled" the situation hm? Further investigation is required... suspecting Torts is involved too.

StoneColdAnimal

Nov 16, 2010
play him with Brink

Brink has some of the best "on ice" vision and passing on the Flyers :nod:
I’d play him with Tyson Foerster. He’s a beast in the d-zone and along the boards. He can do a lot of the dirty work, and has a good enough IQ to play with MM. He also can finish.

Not sold on Brink yet. Really needs to improve his initial quickness/burst.

Reactions: IronMarshal

Don Nachbaur 26

Jun 23, 2008
Mount Joy, PA
As opposed to you cheering on a list of accomplishments, 20% of which consist of signing 4th line players in free agency?
I just don't think the org is as incompetent as a lot of people on here believe. They've made plenty of mistakes and Torts coaching this team is one of them, but when examining the big picture and how things fit together, I see it.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
I just don't think the org is as incompetent as a lot of people on here believe. They've made plenty of mistakes and Torts coaching this team is one of them, but when examining the big picture and how things fit together, I see it.
I mean what is it that you see? I see one prime prospect, a bunch of decent but non-elite pieces, and a plan to find the surrounding stars that consists of "we'll figure it out". Like other than drafting Michkov and trading Provorov, what has he done?

Reactions: Rebels57

ViD

#CBJNeedHugs
Sponsor
Apr 21, 2007
Blue Jackets Area

If Demidov goes 4OA I’d be extremely pleased

BritainStix

F**k Cutter Gauthier
Oct 20, 2016
I mean what is it that you see? I see one prime prospect, a bunch of decent but non-elite pieces, and a plan to find the surrounding stars that consists of "we'll figure it out". Like other than drafting Michkov and trading Provorov, what has he done?
He's literally managed to sign a player that very few people thought would ever play in the NHL. Two of them infact, and they will be here this season.

He acquired another first for Walker, a player he targetted in that Provorov trade. Even though we totally aren't rebuilding, and he's definitely going all in during a playoff run, at least that's what we all keep getting told.

The "fourth liners" we sign, are actually capable 3rd liners now, and not players like Nicky fists. Which marks a considerable change from literally every other GM we've had. We have the youngest team in the NHL right now, that missed the playoffs by a single game.

He's been acquiring picks through asset management. I literally don't understand how people can't see that we have made significant changes to the way we operate, even if those changes aren't radical enough for the minority on this board.

We are entering the most important draft in recent flyers history. This is a big moment for Briere. He could come out the other end of this draft with some significant pieces that are going to be the cornerstone of the franchise, or he could bomb it. Either way, I have significantly more faith in him than I did Fletcher or Holmgren, maybe even Hextall.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
He's literally managed to sign a player that very few people thought would ever play in the NHL. Two of them infact, and they will be here this season.

He acquired another first for Walker, a player he targetted in that Provorov trade. Even though we totally aren't rebuilding, and he's definitely going all in during a playoff run, at least that's what we all keep getting told.

The "fourth liners" we sign, are actually capable 3rd liners now, and not players like Nicky fists. Which marks a considerable change from literally every other GM we've had. We have the youngest team in the NHL right now, that missed the playoffs by a single game.

He's been acquiring picks through asset management. I literally don't understand how people can't see that we have made significant changes to the way we operate, even if those changes aren't radical enough for the minority on this board.

We are entering the most important draft in recent flyers history. This is a big moment for Briere. He could come out the other end of this draft with some significant pieces that are going to be the cornerstone of the franchise, or he could bomb it. Either way, I have significantly more faith in him than I did Fletcher or Holmgren, maybe even Hextall.
Michkov was going to come to the NHL. So you are half right on him. Fedetov he got here but then proceeded to overpay him based on a very small sample size. Again not another great move.

LegionOfGloom

Jun 9, 2021
Stopped reading after this. The only people seriously saying Michkov might never play in the NHL were Montreal fans trying to comfort themselves. How much credit do you really think anyone gets for taking the best player available at their allotted draft slot and not turning them off to the point where they refuse to sign with you (after doing just that with last year's No. 5 overall)?

Kermit the Prog

Threadkiller
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2010
Greenville, DE
I keep wondering if Gauthier would have been so hell-bent on not playing for the O&B if he would have known Michkov was guaranteed to be in uniform for the 2024-25 season.

Mind you, this is whitewashing any contractual or philosophical obstacles to the point they would be more negotiable from his camp, BUT, had Michkov had a contractual guarantee last summer to be released from SKA at the end of the 2023-24 season, does anyone think maybe Gauthier says, "Hmmm...I know my parents gave me an idiotic name, but it might be pretty cool to play with Michkov. Maybe I can make this work"?

You all know I despise hypotheticals, mock drafts (in all sports), and fan-proposed trade scenarios, so this is more of a rhetoric exercise than anything else.

Reactions: BernieParent

Jettany

Feb 21, 2018
I keep wondering if Gauthier would have been so hell-bent on not playing for the O&B if he would have known Michkov was guaranteed to be in uniform for the 2024-25 season.

Mind you, this is whitewashing any contractual or philosophical obstacles to the point they would be more negotiable from his camp, BUT, had Michkov had a contractual guarantee last summer to be released from SKA at the end of the 2023-24 season, does anyone think maybe Gauthier says, "Hmmm...I know my parents gave me an idiotic name, but it might be pretty cool to play with Michkov. Maybe I can make this work"?

You all know I despise hypotheticals, mock drafts (in all sports), and fan-proposed trade scenarios, so this is more of a rhetoric exercise than anything else.
And if Zegras is actually traded. Especially to Philly.

Reactions: Kermit the Prog

orangey

perpetual mediocrity
Aug 9, 2008
Internet

Seems his mind was very made up on the matter and it had to do with the org, coaching and most of all being butt hurt about money so I don't see it as moving the needle much for him. In his eyes he is already a superstar so potential teammates is probably pretty far down the list after all the me stuff. At least that is the vibe I get.

Would have been funny if they called his bluff and made him wait all 4 years to get paid since he was a total ass and the return is shall we say underwhelming so far. Maybe not entirely best from the org POV but more satisfying.

thedjpd

Sponsor
Dec 12, 2002
San Jose, CA
Seems his mind was very made up on the matter and it had to do with the org, coaching and most of all being butt hurt about money so I don't see it as moving the needle much for him. In his eyes he is already a superstar so potential teammates is probably pretty far down the list after all the me stuff. At least that is the vibe I get.

Would have been funny if they called his bluff and made him wait all 4 years to get paid since he was a total ass and the return is shall we say underwhelming so far. Maybe not entirely best from the org POV but more satisfying.

It’s a funny thing.

Looking at his attitude, almost wonder if he wanted to go because here he 100% knows he wouldn’t be “the man” as the NHL has already hyped Michkov as a potential generational type, so maybe he felt he had a better shot elsewhere. Wouldn’t surprise me.

Second, I don’t think Drysdale is underwhelming - his draft profile is pretty elite, but it isn’t without risk. I do think the Flyers waiting and getting a lesser return would be preferred by some on this board out of spite, even though almost everybody here gets so antsy about maximizing value.

Would have been nice to have Cutter and Michkov joining though - would have made things a lot simpler for this draft, they’d definitely have to trade some forwards, etc.

Now it’s just complicated and I hope DB makes some shrewd moves.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad