Confirmed with Link: SKA Officially Terminates Matvei Michkov’s Contract - He’s Coming! upd: signs ELC on 7/1

Deadpool8812

Feb 10, 2018
I enjoy a spirited hockey fight as much as the next guy, but training for this in 2024? The Flyers are not the only ones stuck in the past, it's all over the place in this sport.
I was thinking the same thing. It's great that he can fight, but is that what's going to give him an NHL career? Maybe in the 90s, but not anymore.

Then again, the Flyers love his type

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Starting to feel like Michkov has come over one year early. It's not all bad, the obvious benefit is that he gets a year to play with no expectations, getting used to the league and the ice but the truth of the matter is that he's going to be good enough to play us out of a good pick whilst the team around him isn't good enough to make it a play-off run.

Feels like another wasted year to come, but at least he'll be able to acclimatise at his own speed.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Starting to feel like Michkov has come over one year early. It's not all bad, the obvious benefit is that he gets a year to play with no expectations, getting used to the league and the ice but the truth of the matter is that he's going to be good enough to play us out of a good pick whilst the team around him isn't good enough to make it a play-off run.

Feels like another wasted year to come, but at least he'll be able to acclimatise at his own speed.

Ehhh, Bedard wasnt good enough to play Chicago out of another terrible season. I think you're overestimating what Michkov is capable of in his 1st season..especially with their historically bad Powerplay.

Danko

You have no marbles
Jul 28, 2004
I feel like the ice size thing is overblown, aren't most rinks nhl size now regardless of country

Reactions: Deadpool8812

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Ehhh, Bedard wasnt good enough to play Chicago out of another terrible season. I think you're overestimating what Michkov is capable of in his 1st season..especially with their historically bad Powerplay.

Night and day difference between the teams. Bedard joined a Chicago team hot off the back of a 59 point season who were openly tanking. Michkov is joining an 87 point team who don't seem to know what a tank is or why it's necessary. We didn't even sell off all of our chips at the deadline.

I feel like the ice size thing is overblown, aren't most rinks nhl size now regardless of country

I didn't realise the KHL had switched up, but i bet the ice will feel smaller with the added speed.

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
Night and day difference between the teams. Bedard joined a Chicago team hot off the back of a 59 point season who were openly tanking. Michkov is joining an 87 point team who don't seem to know what a tank is or why it's necessary. We didn't even sell off all of our chips at the deadline.

Yeah, that's part of the challenge with the Flyers approach to this rebuild.

They aren't organically bad enough to be at the bottom of the standings, and having Tortorella probably does squeeze a few extra wins out of a mediocre roster.

Adam Warlock

Apr 15, 2006

I didn't realise the KHL had switched up, but i bet the ice will feel smaller with the added speed.
Question is will Michkov get to play with the better players on the team or be on a line with like Laughton and Hathaway?

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
Who also lost their starting goalie who they heavily rely on. Who's top center is a year old and clearly bothered by his double back surgeries. Who traded away a key defenceman.

They'll likely be worse, but not bad enough to be helpful.

So the same as every other rookie his age, except that he has 80 games in one of the best leagues in the world vs a North American prospect that would have only played CHL/USHL/college.

You could have just said you were wrong without the caveat.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
The rink size talking point just seems exactly just that a talking point that’s not really based in reality. It just sounds good so it’s said. That’s not to say there isn’t some type of adjustment but it’s probably often really overstated. I’d imagine the fact you’re jumping to the NHL potentially, the best hockey league in the world is the actual adjustment. But talent is talent so it usually adapts to its surroundings.

pit

5th Most Improved Poster
Jun 25, 2005
Toronto
Just wait until they try him at 4C with Erik Johnson and Rasmus Ristolainen on his wings.

I was going to say that it was sweet that you thought Frost wouldn't be 4C but then I realized he would likely be in the press box so it all . makes sense. Sorry for doubting you for a moment.

Reactions: mja

Alpha Couturier
Feb 28, 2005
Chester, UK
Who also lost their starting goalie who they heavily rely on. Who's top center is a year old and clearly bothered by his double back surgeries. Who traded away a key defenceman.

They'll likely be worse, but not bad enough to be helpful.

So the same as every other rookie his age, except that he has 80 games in one of the best leagues in the world vs a North American prospect that would have only played CHL/USHL/college.

You could have just said you were wrong without the caveat.
What an oddly aggressive stance you're taking.

Question is will Michkov get to play with the better players on the team or be on a line with like Laughton and Hathaway?

That's a big worry. I'd like to see us go out and get a good young future linemate. Someone he can grow with.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
The rink size talking point just seems exactly just that a talking point that’s not really based in reality. It just sounds good so it’s said. That’s not to say there isn’t some type of adjustment but it’s probably often really overstated. I’d imagine the fact you’re jumping to the NHL potentially, the best hockey league in the world is the actual adjustment. But talent is talent so it usually adapts to its surroundings.

It's been what, 20 years since KHL used mostly Euro size?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad