Confirmed Trade: [SJS/NSH] Yaroslavl Askarov, Nolan Burke, 2025 COL 3rd round pick for David Edstrom, Magnus Chrona, 2025 SJS/VGK 1st round pick (top 10 conditional)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

AtlantaWhaler

Thrash/Preds/Sabres
Jul 3, 2009
By all reports he was essentially blocked in Nashville. He spent want to report to the AHL for Nashville but he’s fine with it for San Jose, why is that? Because he sees a bath to a starting position in San Jose without roadblocks.

Either Grier is really good talker or Trotz told him he wasn’t getting a chance at the NHL this season
Askarov definitely needs a bath.

The reports I've seen had him in competition with Wedgewood for the backup role.

Wedgewood will join the Predators in direct competition with top goalie prospect Yaroslav Askarov, fighting for the backup spot behind the recently extended Juuse Saros.

Major difference now is that he's not competing with Saros down the road for the starter spot in San Jose.

Last edited:

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
By all reports he was essentially blocked in Nashville. He spent want to report to the AHL for Nashville but he’s fine with it for San Jose, why is that? Because he sees a bath to a starting position in San Jose without roadblocks.

Either Grier is really good talker or Trotz told him he wasn’t getting a chance at the NHL this season
We know what Trotz told him, its a matter of public record. He told him to come to camp and win the back up job if he wanted to be in the NHL, otherwise he was going to Milwaukee to play every day and working on rounding out his game.

Trotz is already on record saying he still needed more development to smooth out his rough edges, which was exactly the reason he brought Mitch Korn in.

The minute he said he wouldn't report his days were numbered. Trotz expects every player to compete for a job, he was never going to hand Askarov an NHL position just because Askarov thought he deserved one.

Nico Hischier

Nov 22, 2017
Isn’t magnus chrona the guy that got a 50 save shutout and in the post game interview he says nothing matters we are all gonna die

Reactions: Soundgarden

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
Askarov got his move. If he insists on being in the NHL right away, he is going to have a very rough year.

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
We know what Trotz told him, its a matter of public record. He told him to come to camp and win the back up job if he wanted to be in the NHL, otherwise he was going to Milwaukee to play every day and working on rounding out his game.

Trotz is already on record saying he still needed more development to smooth out his rough edges, which was exactly the reason he brought Mitch Korn in.

The minute he said he wouldn't report his days were numbered. Trotz expects every player to compete for a job, he was never going to hand Askarov an NHL position just because Askarov thought he deserved one.
And allegedly Grier said the same and he’s happy with that situation? If it looks like a roadblock and smells like a roadblock, it’s a roadblock.

Askarov is a top goalie prospect, it’s good to see him get a laid out plan to a NHL chance that isn’t blocked by a top 10 goalies. Balls in Askarov’s court to live up to potential now

Reactions: 67 others

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
@Porter Stoutheart let's see how close we got.
End of the day, it was better for the Preds than I expected.

Bystedt/Edstrom+Chrona for Askarov+Tomasino was the baseline, I was fine with Edstrom instead of Bystedt, liked Bystedt just a tad better, but they are close enough it doesn't matter.

And I'm really glad we got an extra 1st and only gave up a 3rd and a contract slot dump in Burke instead of Tomasino. So all in all, it was the right idea, but Trotz did a little better than I had hoped for.
:handclap:

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
End of the day, it was better for the Preds than I expected.

Bystedt/Edstrom+Chrona for Askarov+Tomasino was the baseline, I was fine with Edstrom instead of Bystedt, liked Bystedt just a tad better, but they are close enough it doesn't matter.

And I'm really glad we got an extra 1st and only gave up a 3rd and a contract slot dump in Burke instead of Tomasino. So all in all, it was the right idea, but Trotz did a little better than I had hoped for.
:handclap:

Yea giving up that 1st, I'd want Fabbro in the deal which could also give some cap relief to the Preds.

The problem was replacing him and that potential relief coming from the Johansen contract termination.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
If this trade has taught me anything is you cannot trust Vegas. When you get drafted by them you're not gonna end up playing for them long. If Brisson is not on his way out it's because of his dad. But Trevor Connolly better watch out because he may end up getting traded to a team with a superstar that's rebuilding.

But all that being said, I think Askarov might just be the final piece to the Sharks puzzle. Nashville mishandled this bad.

But I think Nashville is going to flip that 1st at the deadline for some star help as I do believe they're playoff bound.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
If this trade has taught me anything is you cannot trust Vegas. When you get drafted by them you're not gonna end up playing for them long. If Brisson is not on his way out it's because of his dad. But Trevor Connolly better watch out because he may end up getting traded to a team with a superstar that's rebuilding.

But all that being said, I think Askarov might just be the final piece to the Sharks puzzle. Nashville mishandled this bad.
I appreciate the positivity, but I fully expect half of Celebrini, Smith, Musty, Dickinson, Askarov, and whoever you consider our 6th prospect (Mukh, Chernyshov, etc) to bust. We've got a great pool and this move balances it out, but there's a hell of a long way to go still.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And allegedly Grier said the same and he’s happy with that situation? If it looks like a roadblock and smells like a roadblock, it’s a roadblock.

Askarov is a top goalie prospect, it’s good to see him get a laid out plan to a NHL chance that isn’t blocked by a top 10 goalies. Balls in Askarov’s court to live up to potential now
Of course he's happy with it, Grier just agreed to hand him 4 million dollars even if he stinks it up :laugh:

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
San Jose made out great in that trade. Gave up nothing of real value. A dime-a-dozen middle six center prospect, an okay goaltender prospect that maybe plays a few games (or might not even be that good), and a 1st.

A bunch of quantity. Not much quality. They get back a player that could potentially end up one of the best goaltenders in the league.

Their rebuild is starting to come along nicely the last six months. They need more on the backend. One more draft where they need to get a defenseman in the top 5, but I think they are closer to competitiveness than the Hawks, for instance.

Nashville was in such a terrible negotiating position once they extended Saros. They should've traded Askarov before extending Saros, if they were going to keep Saros. Once the extension happens, they have no leverage. He's going to get his trade. I'm not really sure how these pieces help them so much. Not as if they don't have B+ prospects, firsts, and some prospect depth. I guess the value isn't that bad, but what I wouldn't like about it is that it's quantity. Unless the 1st turns into a steal, Nashville is getting the best player in the trade by a long margin. Then again, I would've traded Saros and actually rebuilded. I don't think they are real contenders to win more than a round, but they seem to be all-in.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
A bit of risky business for Grier today, giving up the equivalent of 2 1sts.

Yaroslav Askarov only has a little over 7 periods of NHL hockey under his belt and excepts to be on an NHL roster this season, this deal seems much more riskier for the Sharks and could easily go south if Askarov shits the bed.

Good deal for Nashville, Barry Trotz grabs a good center prospect, while also getting some draft capital that could turn into a decent 1st round pick and a 3rd string goalie to replace Askarov’s spot in Milwaukee.

Reactions: Devonator

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
How f***ing lazy are some of these insiders? They are all on their summer vacation, and Elliotte is absolutely stealing their lunch. Has Dreger or LeBrun broken a story in the last 6 weeks? TSN must be thrilled that every story of the summer is going to be broken by their biggest competitor.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
And a clear defined development path to a NHL starter
Don't fool yourself, this is the same agent that had Afanasyev. The only reason they cared about a clear path of development was because of the money. Afanasyev bailed to Russia because San Jose told him the same thing we did, and he wanted a guaranteed one way contract.

If he had stayed in Nashville he was probably looking at a two way contract after his ELC was done. That's why him being in the NHL was so important to him. Now that he is getting paid either way he is more than happy to sit back in the AHL.

Reactions: Viqsi

67 others

Jul 30, 2010
Moose country
A bit of risky business for Grier today, giving up the equivalent of 2 1sts.

Yaroslav Askarov only has a little over 7 periods of NHL hockey under his belt and excepts to be on an NHL roster this season, this deal seems much more riskier for the Sharks and could easily go south if Askarov shits the bed.

Good deal for Nashville, Barry Trotz grabs a good center prospect, while also getting some draft capital that could turn into a decent 1st round pick and a 3rd string goalie to replace Askarov’s spot in Milwaukee.
Essentially, he dumped 6 years of Hertl's contract after his 4th knee surgery to acquire Askarov, Given it was the exact pieces they got for Hertl.

Reactions: vortexy

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
I like this for San Jose which is weird to type out because a lot of Grier's moves are head scratchers.

Trotz has been very active, he can't win them all (and I'm not saying he didn't win this trade), but he's also quite green at this whole thing too.

All in all, I just happy to see activity at this point in the offseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad