Confirmed Trade: [SJS/EDM] D Cody Ceci, '25 3rd round pick for D Ty Emberson

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Three On Zero

HF Designated Parking Instructor
Sponsor
Oct 9, 2012
If Emberson breaks out and has a good season, won’t Edmonton likely be in a similar situation with him? He’s a pending UFA that could walk for more money?

La Bamba

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 23, 2009
If Emberson breaks out and has a good season, won’t Edmonton likely be in a similar situation with him? He’s a pending UFA that could walk for more money?
They would but that would technically be a ‘good’ problem to have

Oilers have/had so much talent they can’t sign them all. Other than the Nurse contract, they have many guys on bargain deals and still couldn’t re-sign everyone

Reactions: MessierII

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
This was a prophetic post! Bang on the money! 😆
I think all Oiler fans were pretty consistent with their opinion that these were overpayments. Some still wanted to match them, others didn't, and some were torn and went back and forth. I don't think anyone went from "these guys are worth those deals, sign them up", to "these guys are so overpaid now". Not that I have noticed anyway.

Sendhelplease

Dec 21, 2020
He needs to play 50 games to move to a RFA status. I'm guessing he will get them as our coach coached him in the AHL, so there is familiarity there.
I think the more likely factor to hold him back from playing in 50 games is health. He was constantly hurt with the Sharks last year. I certainly hope he can stay healthy for Edmonton, he was a nice bright spot on a terrible Sharks team last year.

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
I made this point on the Sharks thread for the trade, but now that we know they didn't match the OS's, it means that Bowman had a lot more leverage than people were thinking. This also means that perhaps Grier isn't the "absolute muppet how is he a GM I want his job" that people were saying, and instead we see a hockey trade of a better vet RD (Ceci) for a young, possibly up-and-coming prospect (Emberson), with the 3rd balancing out the difference + minor cap dump to give EDM some flexibility later in the season.

There was no "OMG Bowman is over a barrel" leverage here, and people may not realize just how bad SJ's defense is that Ceci is immediately arguably our best defenseman next to Walman.

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024
I made this point on the Sharks thread for the trade, but now that we know they didn't match the OS's, it means that Bowman had a lot more leverage than people were thinking. This also means that perhaps Grier isn't the "absolute muppet how is he a GM I want his job" that people were saying, and instead we see a hockey trade of a better vet RD (Ceci) for a young, possibly up-and-coming prospect (Emberson), with the 3rd balancing out the difference + minor cap dump to give EDM some flexibility later in the season.

There was no "OMG Bowman is over a barrel" leverage here, and people may not realize just how bad SJ's defense is that Ceci is immediately arguably our best defenseman next to Walman.

If you ignore the offer sheets, Bowman/JJ did exactly what everyone had been screaming for Holland to do about the team's cap situation the last three years running: have a #3RD be earning #3RD money. I would have done this trade even if St. Louis never came into the picture.

Ceci is not a #4 on a contender, wasn't last week and wasn't today. Emberson has at the least a slim chance to get there, and both the opportunity cost and cap hit are minimal.

Does it suck to lose two guys who the club had put years of development time into? Sure, but neither were integral pieces and were not the difference between contending and not. Ceci wasn't either as we all just saw. The Oil made the best of an uncomfortable situation and now will be accruing all kinds of cap space for the deadline when they can add an actual defenseman capable of putting them over the top.

KevinRedkey

12/18/23 and beyond!
Jan 22, 2010
This is a great move, but only IF Edmonton makes a deal to bring in another Dman. Otherwise it's savings that go towards nothing. Ceci isn't good, but he's better than whoever their 8D was (now 6D)

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Does it suck to lose two guys who the club had put years of development time into? Sure, but neither were integral pieces and were not the difference between contending and not. Ceci wasn't either as we all just saw. The Oil made the best of an uncomfortable situation and now will be accruing all kinds of cap space for the deadline when they can add an actual defenseman capable of putting them over the top.
I'm not an Oilers fan nor am I following closely, but the whole thing hinges on this, of course. The big question mark is who will actually be available for a rental or a trade with term at the TDL, as the UFA rental class for RD isn't looking particularly strong. If there's no improvement of the D corps and Emberson doesn't jump up into being a serviceable 4D, then Bowman made the cap situation better at the expense of D performance, no matter how disliked Ceci was.

redandyellowcametobe

Jan 4, 2019
If you ignore the offer sheets, Bowman/JJ did exactly what everyone had been screaming for Holland to do about the team's cap situation the last three years running: have a #3RD be earning #3RD money. I would have done this trade even if St. Louis never came into the picture.

Ceci is not a #4 on a contender, wasn't last week and wasn't today. Emberson has at the least a slim chance to get there, and both the opportunity cost and cap hit are minimal.

They won’t accrue anything if they put Kane on LTIR. If they don’t they are likely to be able to afford a 4.75-5 mil AAV player at the deadline.

It’s comical you’re saying you would have traded cost controlled young depth for and 2nd and 3rd if there wasn’t an offer sheet. You need those types to extend Edmontons window. Big raises are coming and it’s gonna be bad for Edmonton depth wise.

Look at the Oilers roster right now. Especially the right side and bottom 6. It’s pretty bad. Two thirds of last years 4th line is now your 3rd line? Ekholm is 34 years old. The oilers are the oldest team in the NHL or right behind the Pens for second oldest.

To me, this roster is worse than last year and has gotten older. With raises, it’s only going to get worse on paper.

TheNumber4

Nov 11, 2011
So the entirety of Tyler Wrights drafting era is now gone. Holland came into the job saying we will NEED cheap depth to develop and contribute.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
They won’t accrue anything if they put Kane on LTIR. If they don’t they are likely to be able to afford a 4.75-5 mil AAV player at the deadline.

It’s comical you’re saying you would have traded cost controlled young depth for and 2nd and 3rd if there wasn’t an offer sheet. You need those types to extend Edmontons window. Big raises are coming and it’s gonna be bad for Edmonton depth wise.

Look at the Oilers roster right now. Especially the right side and bottom 6. It’s pretty bad. Two thirds of last years 4th line is now your 3rd line? Ekholm is 34 years old. The oilers are the oldest team in the NHL or right behind the Pens for second oldest.

To me, this roster is worse than last year and has gotten older. With raises, it’s only going to get worse on paper.
There wouldn't be a discussion if these 2 remained 'cost controlled' after signing 1.25Mx2 deals each. At 7M+ combined Oilers are better off with more established players like Arvidsson+ Skinner.

Age of roster means nothing. Most players including the core are in their prime.

Oilers got worse sure but Ceci and Desharnais are no Draisaitl + Bouchard.
It will be freak out time when they have to walk away from one or both of these next offseason.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
There wouldn't be a discussion if these 2 remained 'cost controlled' after signing 1.25Mx2 deals each. At 7M+ combined Oilers are better off with more established players like Arvidsson+ Skinner.

Age of roster means nothing. Most players including the core are in their prime.

Oilers got worse sure but Ceci and Desharnais are no Draisaitl + Bouchard.
It will be freak out time when they have to walk away from one or both of these next offseason.
Skinner yes, but both of him + Arvidsson seem a bit redundant. Would have been more optimal to have Skinner plus Broberg than Ardvisson imo.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
This is a great move, but only IF Edmonton makes a deal to bring in another Dman. Otherwise it's savings that go towards nothing. Ceci isn't good, but he's better than whoever their 8D was (now 6D)
Bowman will do that when Kane goes on LTIR in early January. 3 months recovery time for the surgery and he's back in time for the playoffs. Mark my words. Edm has their cake and get to eat it too. They should be able to pick up a nice top 4 dman with Kane's $5.125m plus any other cap space the've accrued.

Reactions: InfinityIggy

VeteranPresence

Aug 13, 2024

This is factually incorrect.

I didn't say that, you need to read more carefully- I said I would've traded Ceci and a 3rd for Emberson, even if there was no offer sheet.

Look at the Oilers roster right now. Especially the right side and bottom 6. It’s pretty bad.

The bottom six only lost Holloway. Do you think he was the piece to put them over the top? If so, why didn't he magically do that just a couple of months ago?

The right side is weak, certainly, but an upgrade on Ceci needed to happen regardless. It won't be as good as it possibly can until that player arrives, but neither Broberg or Holloway were going to be the solution there.

Two thirds of last years 4th line is now your 3rd line? Ekholm is 34 years old. The oilers are the oldest team in the NHL or right behind the Pens for second oldest.

I keep seeing this age criticism but I've yet to see anything reinforcing why it's a bad thing.

So Arvidsson and Skinner in for Holloway and Foegele makes the team... worse. I'm really trying to see the logic here and assume it's not pure haterism, but you'll really have to show your work here.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Skinner yes, but both of him + Arvidsson seem a bit redundant. Would have been more optimal to have Skinner plus Broberg than Ardvisson imo.
Broberg isn't a top 4 Dman nor is he worth 4M to Oilers. We would still be looking at upgrading on Ceci filling a top 4 RD hole.
Arvidsson and Skinner will help with Draisaitl extension discussions. Arvidsson was the bone thrown to Drai as his winger.

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton
I think the more likely factor to hold him back from playing in 50 games is health. He was constantly hurt with the Sharks last year. I certainly hope he can stay healthy for Edmonton, he was a nice bright spot on a terrible Sharks team last year.
He had a lower laceration, correct? What was the other injuries?

Reactions: ManofSteel55

McBooya42

Let's do this!
Jun 28, 2010
Edmonton

What are you talking about? Our third is Janmark - Henrique - CBrown. That third line killed it in the playoffs and had incredible chemistry. I look forward to more of that, thank you very much.

GirardSpinorama

Aug 20, 2004
Broberg isn't a top 4 Dman nor is he worth 4M to Oilers. We would still be looking at upgrading on Ceci filling a top 4 RD hole.
Arvidsson and Skinner will help with Draisaitl extension discussions. Arvidsson was the bone thrown to Drai as his winger.
Obviously a 23 year old can't ever improve.. and a 32 year coming off a massive injury will be a-ok. Theres massive uncertainty for both options.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
This trade makes no sense if you were already deciding not to match Broberg. Keep Ceci or trade him after it no longer looks like you are being forced to.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
This trade makes no sense if you were already deciding not to match Broberg. Keep Ceci or trade him after it no longer looks like you are being forced to.
I figure the team was looking to trade Ceci but wanted to do it mid-season like we did with Barrie in the Ekholm trade.

Doing it now meant that we could phone up Armstrong and squeeze two extra assets out of him. If we kept Ceci he would just call our bluff

We have to operate without our vet now but that's not a huge deal

Dan Kelly

Sep 27, 2017
I think there's still a move coming, I get the feeling Bowman would rather try to acquire a good experienced vet with term for the $4 mil/per than give it to a basically unproven Broberg, whether it's this off season or before the trade deadline next spring.

Reactions: KevinRedkey

McFlyingV

Feb 22, 2013
Edmonton, Alberta
I figure the team was looking to trade Ceci but wanted to do it mid-season like we did with Barrie in the Ekholm trade.

Doing it now meant that we could phone up Armstrong and squeeze two extra assets out of him. If we kept Ceci he would just call our bluff

We have to operate without our vet now but that's not a huge deal
It did more than that. It allows us to add a lot more cap at the deadline and carry a 21man roster. Edmonton was not cap compliant with Ceci on the roster even with a 20man roster unless Kane was on LTIR. If Kane was set to return at any point this season we would have had to trade him then to become cap compliant, and we would have accumulated no cap space at all.

Now we can accrue 4.4M cap space at the deadline which can get you an 8.8M cap hit with 50% retention.

Reactions: MessierII

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad