Confirmed Trade: [SJS/BUF] 2024 1st (11OA) for 2024 1st (14OA) and 2024 2nd (42OA)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Sort of surprised the Sharks moved up before they knew who was left at 11, but maybe they are getting ammunition of double jump or they just have a list of guys they expect to be there at 11 but not 14.

Maybe that is the number a team requested to make a trade for? Not sure but I agree it just seems a bit odd.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Looking at it now, I suspect San Jose’s front office feels like they made a smart trade and got a guy they can build around they didn’t expect to make it to them. Nice Job San Jose. This looks clever given how the board fell favorably for them to get a defender.

Neutrinos

Sep 23, 2016
The Sharks have to be thrilled to have come away with Dickinson... he could very well end up the best Dman in this draft

Reactions: Hodge

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA
The Sharks have to be thrilled to have come away with Dickinson... he could very well end up the best Dman in this draft
Yeah, I feel like this ended up as a really win-win trade.

I doubt Buffalo would have taken Dickinson.......had they been at 11, they likely take Helenius. We get an extra 2nd too.

San Jose meanwhile gets an excellent defenseman to add to their pool, one that wouldn't likely have been there at 14.....and only give up a 2nd.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Well, the Sabres board took Helenius at 11 in the team board mock, so that worked out pretty nicely. Really hoping we don’t use both 2nd rounders on prospects, though.

Reactions: Fjordy

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Well, it worked out it seems.
That's an understatement and as much as people are saying Montreal and Minny did very well, and they did, San Jose just adding 2 huge building blocks to their rebuild and "won day 1"

The Sabers did well with getting Konsta Helenius but man they have a logjam of young excellent forwards and not enough room.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
That's an understatement and as much as people are saying Montreal and Minny did very well, and they did, San Jose just adding 2 huge building blocks to their rebuild and "won day 1"

The Sabers did well with getting Konsta Helenius but man they have a logjam of young excellent forwards and not enough room.

Helenius gives us all of 2 natural centers in our prospect pipeline.

Shark Finn

∀dministrator
Jan 5, 2012
Herwood
At 14th I'd liked Helenius, but I love the Dickinson pick. Seems like a good trade for both sides, at least now. And Buffalo has the 2nd rounder to boot.

Last edited:

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Helenius gives us all of 2 natural centers in our prospect pipeline.
I never mentioned centers but by using the word "natural" sure maybe but Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich and Wahlberg are all centers but they probably won't all stay there.

who is the other natural center for you?

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
At 14th I'd liked Helenius, but I love the Dickinson pick. Seems like a good trade for both sides, at least now. And Buffalo has the 2nd rounder to boot.
If sabres didnt make the trade pre draft. This could have gotten interesting. I think the SJ trade up would have cost them to give up their 2nd instead of NJ 2nd that they did
I never mentioned centers but by using the word "natural" sure maybe but Savoie, Ostlund, Kulich and Wahlberg are all centers but they probably won't all stay there.

who is the other natural center for you?
Second half of the season they were using Kulich st C in rochester. Th as td one reason his scoring numbers went down in the 2nd half.

Savoie could be like Reinhart. Mainly a W but could be a C.

Most view Ostlund would be the other C prospect.

With buffalo looking at a bottom 6 center to sign/acquire, they are looking at a 2-3 yr contract for them as a bridge. The exception would be an ELC/U24 player who has played center and fits middle 6 center role.

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
Grier confirmed that he traded up ahead of time because there was a group of players he wanted that he didn’t think would be available at 14. Simple as expected.
He also mentioned being a little surprised Dickinson was available. Tells me he likely had him in the 6-10 range. Can't imagine he had Buium any less than 11 as well, as he was clearly targeting a defenseman.

Reactions: GirardSpinorama

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
This is an excellent deal for both teams--especially given the first round.

SJ getting Dickinson is huge--gives them a potential cornerstone D, something they really needed.

Buf has three cornerstone level D, but sorely needs a natural right-shot. It looks like the extra 2nd could land one of Elick/Brunnicke/Bandinka.

Reactions: Tachycineta

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
If Buffalo was up at 11 they wouldn’t have take those D and would have either just taken Helenis or looked to trade down to someone anyway. Two great D prospects fell. They’ve drafted Dahlin and Power 1OA and just traded for Byram. You think there’s a log jam at center in their pipeline? Try left hand offensive D. Their next two best D in the system are also lefty. Though Samuelsson has zero offense and Johnson isn’t a wizard either.

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis

How much does Celebrini count as part of day 1 considering once they won the lottery, everyone knew they were taking him?

aircobra

May 4, 2013
Still dont like this trade. I am fine with Dickinson but the options at 14 were also excellent and this trade didnt warrant losing such a high pick

No, they were not excellent, especially when the Sharks needed a D. Solberg and Jiricek are a drop-off from Dickinson and Buium.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad