Confirmed Signing with Link: [TBL] F Jake Guentzel signs extension with the Lightning (7 years, $9M AAV)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here
Feb 19, 2018
Tampa lost a lot of size out of these transactions. Jeannot, Sergachev and Stamkos for Guentzel and ?. Maybe the new NHL playoffs are going to be different but that team doesn’t scare anyone in a 7 game series.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
I don't understand why this deal is considered an OMGTaxes deal. Domi just signed a huge sweetheart deal in Toronto. Someone finally gave the team a discount. OMGHometown

1.) Domi is a 9 goal 47 pt player who has been on a series of 1 year 3 million contracts. I like the deal. But it’s not like he got paid Less than before. And it was 4 years. Still the longest contract of his life.
Let’s see what the market holds

2.) guentzel as a 7 year ufa signed for 10.2% aav. That’s harder to compare. Still seems light to me. But will have to see what others took on 7 year deals.

3.) if there was no state tax advantage. Played may still take a discount. Sure. But there is. That’s like saying “sure I had the answers to the test, but I know them all anyway so I would have still got perfect”

It’s silly

Reactions: New User Name

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
For some perspective....

Guentzel's career regular season points per game (0.94) puts him just a hair behind Barkov, Eichel and Point, but slightly ahead of Aho, Marchand, Tavares and Backstrom. For career playoff points per game his 0.97 is just behind Malkin and Point, just ahead of Pastrnak, Kane, Aho and Ovechkin.

Pretty much a point per game player across his career, including playoffs. His production peers are all 8-10M+ players, I don't see why 9M is a stretch here at all. He's about to turn 30, so the deal won't cross much into that ugly 35+ territory. I see no problem with this

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I don't understand why this deal is considered an OMGTaxes deal. Domi just signed a huge sweetheart deal in Toronto. Someone finally gave the team a discount. OMGHometown
LOL That doesn't happen often. Other than Domi I can't recall a player giving the Leafs a hometown discount.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The arrogance Canucks fans had when they were just assuming that Guentzel loved JR so much that he'd snub every other team to sign there is hilarious to me.
wtf are you talking about. A good chunk of us knew it wasn’t set in stone. A lot of us were also skeptical that an eastern American would want to come to Canada let alone a place like Vancouver. Glad this is over with though.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Tampa lost a lot of size out of these transactions. Jeannot, Sergachev and Stamkos for Guentzel and ?. Maybe the new NHL playoffs are going to be different but that team doesn’t scare anyone in a 7 game series.
not like stamkos uses his size for anything so i don’t see how that matters. jeannot is a 4th liner so we can just sign another one for cheap if needed.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
1.) Domi is a 9 goal 47 pt player who has been on a series of 1 year 3 million contracts. I like the deal. But it’s not like he got paid Less than before. And it was 4 years. Still the longest contract of his life.
Let’s see what the market holds

2.) guentzel as a 7 year ufa signed for 10.2% aav. That’s harder to compare. Still seems light to me. But will have to see what others took on 7 year deals.

3.) if there was no state tax advantage. Played may still take a discount. Sure. But there is. That’s like saying “sure I had the answers to the test, but I know them all anyway so I would have still got perfect”

It’s silly
Guentzel is almost 30 and got 7 years. I'm not sure how this is some kind of crazy steal. People are talking like we just signed prime Ovechkin for peanuts. We got a top 60ish player in the league on a contract that will age poorly. I'm not sure how our massive tax advantage made this happen.

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
Tampa should get a little jump next year, but I don't think this contract will age well. Guentzel is a really good player, but he may not be as well liked on this 9M contract as he was before.

I think the contract will start to look less than optimal by year 2 or 3.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Guentzel is almost 30 and got 7 years. I'm not sure how this is some kind of crazy steal. People are talking like we just signed prime Ovechkin for peanuts. We got a top 60ish player in the league on a contract that will age poorly. I'm not sure how our massive tax advantage made this happen.

10.2% on a 7 year deal for a 4 goal scorer with .94 ppg. Look at the other comparables.

you may be so used to players taking less that it’s shocking to you. But 10.2% is not a super star player salary at all.

Edit. Here you go.
He took less then Patrick laine.

More 2004

Stamkos Apologist
May 3, 2004
Tampa
Hope Tampa loves him as much as Pittsburgh has. Genuinely one of my favorite players of all time.

Insanely high hockey IQ which allows him to excel with any C he’s with.

Tampa’s gonna be awesome to watch this year.
Can't wait to see him with Pointer and Kuch.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I think it’s a fair deal. I do think it’s not the right guy to fix TB 2nd line though.

Maybe I’ll end up being wrong but Jake would go nuclear with Point-Kucherov IMO, but only be like a 30-40/70 guy without them.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
10.2% on a 7 year deal for a 4 goal scorer with .94 ppg. Look at the other comparables.

you may be so used to players taking less that it’s shocking to you. But 10.2% is not a super star player salary at all.

Edit. Here you go.
He took less then Patrick laine.

Patrick Laine who's on a clearly terrible contract? As another poster pointed out, most of his comparables are making 8-10. The ones making more are just overpaid.

New User Name

Jan 2, 2008
I like the fact that Tampa and Florida are good teams.

I know there's a bit of animosity between the teams but Id love to see the hate between the teams and fan bases heat up to the level in Alberta between the Flames and Oilers.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad