Prospect Info: SJ HFBoards 2024-25 Prospect Pyramid: Tier III

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who belongs in Tier III of the 2024-25 HFSJ Prospect Pyramid (Choose ALL that apply)

• William Eklund

Votes: 59 96.7%
  • Thomas Bordeleau

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Henry Thrun

Votes: 4 6.6%
  • Ty Dellandrea

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Quentin Musty

Votes: 56 91.8%
  • Shakir Mukhamadullin

Votes: 53 86.9%
  • Igor Chernyshov

Votes: 38 62.3%
  • Filip Bystedt

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Kasper Halttunen

Votes: 15 24.6%
  • Daniil Gushchin

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Collin Graf

Votes: 3 4.9%
  • Luca Cagnoni

Votes: 8 13.1%
  • Eric Pohlkamp

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Leo Sahlin Wallenius

Votes: 11 18.0%
  • Ethan Cardwell

• Jack Thompson

• Jake Furlong

• Cam Lund

• Mattias Havelid

• Yegor Rimashevsky

Votes: 2 3.3%
  • Tristen Robins

• Carson Wetsch

• Colton Roberts

• Nate Misskey

• Christian Kirsch

• Write-In candidate (Please post with who you are nominating as your write-in(s) or it won't count.)

• Nobody belongs in this tier (DO NOT VOTE FOR ANYTHING ELSE IF YOU CHOOSE THIS)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
We're on to the 3rd tier of players in our prospect pyramid. Normally when people use the term "core" they mean the best players the team has. But for me what often ends up being the core difference maker for competitive teams is their depth. The quality of talent they have in those middle-of-the-roster positions that come as the second wave behind the marquee names. With that in mind this tier of prospects is dedicated to the guys who will fill those vital mid-roster roles, along with any high end boom/bust lottery tickets they may have

The Pyramid

The Tier II poll closed a few minutes ago and saw 3 players elected to the second tier. Will Smith and Yaro Askarov cruised to induction while Sam Dickinson waited until the closing minutes and squeaked over the line by just a single vote (thanks @Juxtaposer! :P)

Tier (Click for its thread)Players in tier (with % of poll votes received)
TIER I (Franchise Cornerstones)Macklin Celebrini (100%)
TIER II (Elite Talent)Will Smith (91%), Yaroslav Askarov (87%), Sam Dickinson (67%)
TIER III (Core Building Blocks & Lottery Tickets)*This poll. Results pending*

If you still need an explanation of what's going on, check out the tier I link above for a more complete description. The gist of your task is to vote for every player you believe belongs in this tier (or perhaps who you believe belonged in a higher tier but didn't make it in the vote). The criteria will be discussed below.

You can vote for as many players as you want, or you can vote for the "nobody" option (and if you do, please don't vote for anyone else).

Starting in this tier I've also included a write-in candidate option. If you choose this make sure to list who you're voting for (it can be as many write-ins as you want) so that I can properly count how many write-in votes someone receives if the numbers will turn out to be relevant to the final results. It's unlikely but you never know.

All organizational players who are under 25 by the time the season starts are eligible, no NHL GP threshold necessary. So that means that "regular" NHLers like Eklund, Thrun, Bordeleau, and Dellandrea make the list for consideration even though they have played potentially entire seasons in the league.

At the end of the 4-day voting period any players who earn 66% of votes or more will be added to this tier and we will move on to the next tier.

NEW PLAYERS THIS POLL: With Smith, Askarov, and Dickinson graduating I have added several names to take us up to 25 options plus the write-in and 'nobody' ones. New on this ballot are:
  1. RW Carson Wetsch
  2. RW Tristen Robins
  3. RD Colton Roberts
  4. RD Nate Misskey
  5. G Christian Kirsch
Your eligible write-in players are (alphabetically and by position):

LW Egor Afanasyev,

C Nolan Burke, C Theo Jacobsson, C David Klee, C Yegor Spiridonov, C Brandon Svoboda,

RW Brandon Coe, RW Joey Muldowney, RW Mitchell Russell, RW Timofei Spitserov,

LD Artem Guryev, LD Yegveni Kashnikov, LD Valtteri Pulli,

RD Eli Barnett, RD Michael Fisher, RD Axel Landen, RD Gannon Laroque,

G Georgi Romanov, G Yaroslav Korostelyov

The Tiers

Tier III takes us out of the impact range and instead settles into the guys who make up the backbone of the roster. Your middle 6 forwards, middle pairing D, or platoon or high end backup goalies. These are guys who could play in the top half of their position's depth chart and be decent at it, but are probably better just a notch below that where they become superior depth options. They're also the first tier where major awards are likely to be off the table outside of the player having an insane career year. Maybe they squeak into an all-star game once or twice in their career in a strong year but they're more likely to be someone who's a fan favorite with the Sharks faithful than he is a league-wide name.

TierForwardsDefensemenGoaltenders
Tier I - Franchise CornerstonesSurefire first line players. Perennial all-stars and frequent major award contendersAbsolute Elite #1 D-man. Regular Norris contender and all-starTop-Shelf Vezina-caliber starter and workhorse starting goaltender. Is capable of regularly stealing games.
Tier II - Elite Talent Strong top 6 F (good 1st liner or great 2nd liner). Occasional all-star or infrequent award contender1st pairing D-man, but not a guaranteed #1. Sometimes all-star and may get occasional major award consideration.Good regular starting goalie. May occasionally be able to steal a game. May get Vezina consideration in his best seasons.
Tier III - Core building blocks & lottery ticketsMiddle 6 F (good 2nd liner or great 3rd liner). Also high ceiling lottery tickets.2nd pairing D-man (#3/#4) or high variance boom/bust prospectPlatoon goalie or excellent backup or extremely risky prospect with high upside.

• Love
Reactions: Juxtaposer

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Also, I'm going to ask this time that people please not whinge about the criteria or what they think the tiers should be. Both of the last two threads seemed to spend as much time coming to a broad indecision about how things should be organized instead of actually discussing the merits of given prospects. That's sorta disheartening. At one point I honestly did consider just packing it in and stopping if people were so dissatisfied with what this is.

If you think you have a better idea for how this should be organized then you're free to do your own version of it.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Glad to know my opinion is the most important after all. :sarcasm:

I think Eklund, Musty, and Mukhamadullin are the locks for this tier, but there could be lots of variance beyond that. I took Chernyshov since I value his prototype of player a lot and I think his floor is high.

• Haha
Reactions: matt trick

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Eks robbed
He missed by like 8 or 9 votes, so it was close-ish considering there were almost 70 votes but it's not like he tripped at the finish line or anything.

I too think it's low because I think his ceiling is as a strong 2nd line winger, but this was never going to be anyone's perfect pyramid. I think the hope is that by the end everyone goes "yeah that's pretty fair" and maybe has borderline issues with a half-dozen guys or less but no glaring, significant, "you can't be serious" level problems. That probably means it's pretty fair.

Last edited:

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I don't think eklund actually gets to the elite level of top 6 forwards, but i do believe he will be one of those top 6 forwards that does stay good for a good portion of a teams contending years (hopefully the sharks lol)

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
I'm probably voting generously here but there's that group that has a pretty likely outcomeof being in the top half of this tier as great 2nd liners or 2nd pairing guys like Eklund, Mukhamadullin, Musty, Chernyshov. I also like Bystedt's chances for becoming a really good 3rd liner.

But theres the 2nd half of this criteria for high variance prospects and I feel that this could make this a bigger group like for the guys up front, Halttunen, Graf, Bordeleau, and Gushchin have good 3rd line potential, and have scoring touch to their game that can push them into having 2nd line potential. I also feel that Rimashevsky has sneaky home run lotto potential.

Then on defense, LSW has the skillset to be a steady 2nd pairing guy and Pohlkamp has a little extra pop and pace in his game that could translate into boom potential. And you could even argue for Furlong's defensive play translating over with how he showed out at the international level.

Reactions: Gecklund

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
It will be interesting next season to see if there is movement between tiers. I really like this project and thank you for putting on. Don’t let the whining about the criteria discourage you.

Reactions: timorous me

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is where it gets tough. By the definition, I'd say that guys like Gushchin and Halttunen belong here. But, Is probably take a guy like Graf over either player, and he doesn't have the ceiling to be in this tier.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
Eklund, Musty, Mukh are the locks here, and I didn't go with anyone else (thought about Chernyshov, but I think he and Bystedt are in the next tier)

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Eklund, Musty, Mukh are the locks here, and I didn't go with anyone else (thought about Chernyshov, but I think he and Bystedt are in the next tier)
This tier feels a little out of whack to me now because I really feel like Eklund doesn't belong in it. 16 goals and 29 assists and a generally strong compete level as a 21-year-old on that dumpster fire of a team last year, while playing quite frequently with talent well below his level? You guys who left him out of Tier II are TOUGH.

It's just so hard for me to put him in the same tier as someone like Chernyshov (very exciting but hasn't even played yet in North America) or Halttunen (big-time scoring upside that certainly could put him in this category as a high-ceiling lottery ticket).

I do enjoy this as an exercise, though, one that will be fun to follow in the coming years. But this is where any ranking of players who both have and haven't played in the NHL gets kind of weird--the young guys who have faced the rigors of the NHL as rookies will often lose some shine and become underrated. But Eklund has proven that he's so much more of a sure-thing as a good top-six guy than anyone else left that it feels like he now needs his own category.

Reactions: DG93

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Halttunen I don't agree with. Others rather easily yes. This season will be huge for Halttunen, that is for sure. I hope he makes it! What's your reasoning for including Halttunen here?

I also voted for Halttunen. I’m putting him here because of the shot, his size, and what he was able to do in his first year on small ice. If he adds some two way play and ends up a 20/20 guy that’s a really nice middle 6 piece. If his shot really carries to the NHL and he’s sniffing 30-35 goals a season then he easily warrants this rating.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
EDIT:

I really like this prospect pyramid thread, very well done! I'm trying to keep the expectations lower because I'm usually the one overhyping Sharks prospects. That's the reason I had only Smith, Dickinson and Askarov at Tier II.

For Tier III:
Eklund, Musty, Mukhamadullin and Chernyshov.
I feel like Eklund could easily improve to the Tier II and Musty is a dark horse candidate for Tier II later on.
Mukhamadullin and Chernyshov are just in the right place. Halttunen is in the fringe, in couple of years I believe we'll know better.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
I included Cherny and Bystedt- I think they both will be quality top 9 guys. Halt and LSW I considered. Hopefully we get two core guys out of those four, while Musty and Muk hit. If he have 7 core, 4 top of the line-up, and a 5th to be added with our upcoming first that's excellent work.

Could see Eklund moving up a tier, but need to see either a major jump in production (20+ points) or becoming an excellent two-way forward. It's possibly he does both. If younger Zetts would also be in this tier.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Halttunen I don't agree with. Others rather easily yes. This season will be huge for Halttunen, that is for sure. I hope he makes it! What's your reasoning for including Halttunen here?
I just believe the only thing that is truly lacking at an NHL level is his defensive play. And that could or could not hinder his ability to make a impact at the NHL level. But believe he should be a 20-30 goal forward.

Reactions: Shark Finn

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Eklund, Musty, Mukh, Chernyshov. I'm going purely on the definitions here, which I think are perfectly fine.
  • Eklund and Musty in particular could become 1st liners and actually be in the 2nd tier. But the 2nd tier definition is pretty aggressive... I don't think Eklund has absolutely solidified himself as a worst-case "great 2nd liner." He could still end up just a solid 2nd liner. So, borderline.
  • Mukh is projecting to a middle pair and that's great.
  • Chernyshov has a wide range of outcomes. He could end up in tier 2 or tier 4... Eklund likely to end up in tier 3 as a floor, and Musty could end up in tier 2 or bust out. I think the median projection for Chernyshov is here in this tier 3 -- optimistic, but not at all guaranteed.
The rest I think are realistically in tier 3 at their ceilings or close to their ceilings.

This tier feels a little out of whack to me now because I really feel like Eklund doesn't belong in it. 16 goals and 29 assists and a generally strong compete level as a 21-year-old on that dumpster fire of a team last year, while playing quite frequently with talent well below his level? You guys who left him out of Tier II are TOUGH.
Fair enough! I do think Ek and Musty were borderline tier 2 but I'd rather be conservative than overly optimistic.

Reactions: NiWa

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Reminder that there is only 1 day left on this poll and once again there is a player whose fate could swing either way. So if you haven't voted yet it could make a difference (this is not a call to vote for said player, just that we're at a point where every vote could be impactful no matter how it's cast)

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
Surprised at the lack of love Thrun is getting. Surely many think he has 2nd-pairing potential?

Also...Cagnoni, Gushchin, and Halttunen absolutely belong on this list; they are boom-bust players. The first two especially are either going to be impact players or not be in the league at all.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Surprised at the lack of love Thrun is getting. Surely many think he has 2nd-pairing potential?

Also...Cagnoni, Gushchin, and Halttunen absolutely belong on this list; they are boom-bust players. The first two especially are either going to be impact players or not be in the league at all.
Frankly I think Thrun tops out as a #5 on a good team, kind of like a better Ferraro. He doesn't really have any apparent plus skills.

I'm also having a really hard time with the definitions of the prospect tiers and I no longer know who fits where myself, so I think I'm going to withdraw.

• Wow

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Apparently, you are a party pooper if you bring this up.
How you choose to express your opinion is up to you and you should take responsibility for it. You chose to attack the criteria as opposed to taking a constructive approach for improving what we hope will be a fun exercise each offseason.

Reactions: one2gamble

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
I, for one, think these are great. I love seeing where people are voting in prospects, and it’s been interesting to see who just misses the cut at each round. For sure this will be cool to see how things shift season after season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad