Speculation: Sir Sam of House Bennett - contract speculation

ZachaFlockaFlame

Aug 24, 2020
If he even come closes to UFA, he should have half the teams pounding his door July 1 to accept contract offers. He'll probably stay put, the guy has been incredible ever since his trade to Florida. Playoff gawd

It'll be 6.5 x 8

Him and Verhaeghe making less than 15M is f***ing absurd, Matt Tkachuk trade might be the biggest trade in terms of a franchise's health since maybe Gretzky to LA

Reactions: RogerRogerr

featherhawk

Dec 13, 2006
If he even come closes to UFA, he should have half the teams pounding his door July 1 to accept contract offers. He'll probably stay put, the guy has been incredible ever since his trade to Florida. Playoff gawd

Him and Verhaeghe making less than 15M is f***ing absurd, Matt Tkachuk trade might be the biggest trade in terms of a franchise's health since maybe Gretzky to LA
ya FLA fleeced the flames for sure

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania

It definitely has been. Zito was literally born to be a hockey GM.

We can keep both as long as Mackie's cap hit stays negligible, Bennet comes in under $6m AAV, and Ekblad comes in under $7m AAV. If that happens, great. But it'd be poor cap management to give $6m+ and an NMC to our future 3C when we already have already have internal options.

Building a powerhouse team does not equal poor cap management.

• Love
Reactions: Laus723

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
With another big jump in the cap coming and the general lack of availability of top 6 centres in the UFA market, Chandler Stephenson's contract should probably be the floor... especially considering that we're 1 year further along from a cap standpoint.

Now, is there a world where he signs a matching contract to Carter Verhaege, giving up a little on the AAV to get the 8th year? I think that makes a bit of sense especially as his contract is unlikely to age gracefully given the way he plays.

However, if he's lookng to UFA, I can think of at least 1 team, that could have a John Tavares-sized hole in the middle of the lineup this summer, where Sam Bennett fits the style of play that their new head coach wants, just about perfectly.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
I'd argue Bennett is as valuable as Verhaege, different ways but still. I can see Florida going up to 6M x 8 but that's it since they have Lundell ready for 2C duties if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad