Post-Game Talk: Jets 6 - Coilers 0

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
In these early games, the skill guys always seem to be just a fraction of a second off their game and it takes a little while to get back into the groove (e.g. Wheeler usually took about 20 games, IIRC). But I thought the top 2 lines were fighting it a bit. Luckily, the 3rd and 4th lines came out and worked hard and got rewarded.

BTW: that was Hellebuyck's first time posting a shutout in his opening game:

2024-25: 0GA, 1.000 SV%
2023-24: 4GA, .810
2022-23: 1 GA, .976
2021-22: 4 GA, .818
2020-21: 3 GA, .885
2019-20: 5 GA, .839
2018-19: 1 GA, .976
2017-18: 2 GA, .818
2016-17: 4 GA, .852

He's ahead of last season's Vezina winning pace! :sarcasm:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
In these early games, the skill guys always seem to be just a fraction of a second off their game and it takes a little while to get back into the groove (e.g. Wheeler usually took about 20 games, IIRC). But I thought the top 2 lines were fighting it a bit. Luckily, the 3rd and 4th lines came out and worked hard and got rewarded.

BTW: that was Hellebuyck's first time posting a shutout in his opening game:

2024-25: 0GA, 1.000 SV%
2023-24: 4GA, .810
2022-23: 1 GA, .976
2021-22: 4 GA, .818
2020-21: 3 GA, .885
2019-20: 5 GA, .839
2018-19: 1 GA, .976
2017-18: 2 GA, .818
2016-17: 4 GA, .852

He's ahead of last season's Vezina winning pace! :sarcasm:

Yeah, that's what I was thinking as well watching. The skill guys where a bit out of sync. They'll get on track and it's nice to have a bottom 6 that can win us games when the top guys aren't really going.

Reactions: Mortimer Snerd

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Opinions are like assh@*es, everybody has one. It's better to be flying under the radar.

Perfect road game.
Yes. Way better that the Jets go unnoticed and there's no pressure on this group. They fold when the spotlights on. I know lots hate the Jets don't get mentioned and complain about to much Leafs, Habs or whatnot... But let them talk about those teams and the Jets just fly under the radar doing their thing.

Reactions: tarozi

JetsFan815

Replacement Level Poster
Jan 16, 2012
Where the skill guys out of sync or where they trying to make sure McDrai wasn't going to murder them?

I would be happy to shut down the other teams best lines if it means our top lines are not at their best. Especially if the PP continues to click
The Oilers coach doesn't hard match lines (or atleast he wasn't last night). They got plenty of time away from McDrai. Both top-2 lines saw plenty of the Oilers 3rd line.

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018
Oilers are a scary team. Great game by the Jets neutralizing their top guns.
Nah they are so overrated. They have an AHL goalie and terrible D. They only got far last year because Vancouver didn't have Demko and their star player in Game 7. They only win when they get a ton of powerplays. 5 vs 5 they are average team. They are weaker this year than last year but all these so called expert analysts have them as cup favorites. :D

Heldig

Apr 12, 2002
BC
Look at that Oilers D. And we thought we were scraping the barrel.

Pre season they were gushing about their secret find - Ty Emberson. A guy that could not make the Coyotes nor the Sharks.

Plus they have another Coyote cast off in Travis Dermott (and a third ex coyote in Troy Stetcher).

But off course they have legit number 1 D Nurse!

MrvJets

Apr 23, 2018
Even though we won we still were outshot 30-19
The Jets weren't even trying after a 5 goal lead they were protecting the lead. Tell me how many quality chances the Oilers had on Helle? They were shooting the puck at him from all over. Masterclass by the Jets and they weren't even at their best.

Look at that Oilers D. And we thought we were scraping the barrel.

Pre season they were gushing about their secret find - Ty Emberson. A guy that could not make the Coyotes nor the Sharks.

Plus they have another Coyote cast off in Travis Dermott (and a third ex coyote in Troy Stetcher).

But off course they have legit number 1 D Nurse!
They are not going to go as far as last year with Skinner and that terrible D. Their Power play saved them in the playoffs as they can't score 5 vs 5.

Huffer

Jul 16, 2010
Well, that was a nice way to start the season!

Felt like a game where everything was going right, and nothing the Oilers did was really working.

Really great game from Nino/Lowry/Apples. I'm not expecting that kind of offense every game, but they were very good.

Also a nice game from Barron/Kupari/Iafallo. I don't know what the ice time numbers are, but they played pretty good too. Some physical play, good forchecking, and speed as well.

It's nice to get the offense from the bottom 6 when the top 6 doesn't score 5v5.

If I had to nitpick it would be seeing more than a few "stick wave" type checks which really have to get out of their games. But I wouldn't get on the team after that game.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014

Felt like a game where everything was going right, and nothing the Oilers did was really working.

Really great game from Nino/Lowry/Apples. I'm not expecting that kind of offense every game, but they were very good.

Also a nice game from Barron/Kupari/Iafallo. I don't know what the ice time numbers are, but they played pretty good too. Some physical play, good forchecking, and speed as well.

It's nice to get the offense from the bottom 6 when the top 6 doesn't score 5v5.

If I had to nitpick it would be seeing more than a few "stick wave" type checks which really have to get out of their games. But I wouldn't get on the team after that game.

If Kupari can keep up playing like he did last night we will have one of the best 4th lines in the league. Both Barron and Iafallo played well. I particularly liked Barron. He could easily play higher up.

Edit: That is still a big IF. But so far, so good.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Where the skill guys out of sync or where they trying to make sure McDrai wasn't going to murder them?

I would be happy to shut down the other teams best lines if it means our top lines are not at their best. Especially if the PP continues to click

All true, the second line got a lot of Drai and the top line a lot of McJesus and they largely kept them in check defensively.

I expect we see a lot more talent on display against a weaker Hawks team in Friday.

Slimy Sculpin

Dec 29, 2013
Yeah the second line hasn't been able to get much going offensively going back to preseason. As you say it's a rush line that has yet to unlock its rush game. I think the easiest fix would be to swap the sides of Cole and Fly. That way fly would be getting the puck on his forehand facing the opposition end and can then wind it up much easier. I've found he's had his back to the opposition's end too much while receiving the breakout and he's struggled a bit with that. I think Cole is better at maintaining possesion on his offside and has more poise in those situations so that should also help break it out cleaner. Namestnikov also needs to up his breakout game, he's been loose on his passing.

It doesn't help they've played a lot with the third pairing and that pairing is terrible at making a simple breakout pass to date. Honestly both Ville and Stanley might be the third pairing by mid November at this rate.
It was only game 1 (I saw none of the ex games) but I agree that that pairing had issues making that initial pass. Hopefully, they come around.

Reactions: surixon

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
It may be a good idea to interchange Perfetti, or Names with Chibrikov or Lambert to get that 2nd line going. They just weren't clicking. I think we may see this done.

• Haha
Reactions: Huffer

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019

Kupari and Barron had about 12:30 of ice, Iafallo 14:00 (PP2 time?)

That's the benefit of getting up a couple and being able to roll 4 lines

Zhamnov5GoalGame

Former Director of GDT Operations
Jan 14, 2012
Winnipeg, MB, Canada
It may be a good idea to interchange Perfetti, or Names with Chibrikov or Lambert to get that 2nd line going. They just weren't clicking. I think we may see this done.
Really? After one game? No chance of any changes until A) there is an injury or B) there is an extended period of poor play. Teams don't shuffle their lineups that quickly (especially after a 6-0 win).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad