Speculation: Sir Sam of House Bennett - contract speculation

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
If you were him you would be a millionaire athlete with a completely different out look and perspective regarding life. So in this regard is your opinion or commentary even relevant considering how you framed your original statement ?
In that regard is any statement on this forum relevant to anything at all? No, it sure as shit ain't, so I'm not sure what you're even doing here

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
In that regard is any statement on this forum relevant to anything at all? No, it sure as shit ain't, so I'm not sure what you're even doing here
No I specifically cited how you framed your statement and premise. If you were Bennett, I simply stated you aren't and have zero clue what he feels or wants yet offered up what you would do. 95% of the commentary on hf is not framed that way.

Score08

Apr 6, 2017
Yep. He's an old school guy who can play the game any way you want. Excellent in all three zones. Great puck carrier and distributor while being one of the hardest hitting players in the game AND being one of the best pound for pound fighters around. That's an extremely rare combination. He's also excellent at getting pucks go the net and creating space for his teammates.

There's a reason both Huberdeau and Tkachuk had their career years playing on Bennett's wing - his ability to transport the puck through the neutral zone and create havoc in the offensive zone is exactly what heavy footed scoring wingers need.

There really aren't very many top 6 centers like him in the league.

View attachment 913865

Over the last 3 years, there have been 5 players who have paced for an average of 50+ points, 175+ hits, and 225+ shots, and only one of them was a center:

PlayerPositionGPPoints/82 game paceShots/82 game paceHits/82 game pace
Alex OvechkinL22982322182
Andrei SvechnikovR20172244192
Brady TkachukL24276336273
Evander KaneL16157264259
Sam BennettC20353244179

That's 4 of the top power wingers in the league, and then Sam Bennett.

Same story at 5v5, only 3 guys average 9+ shots and hits/60 while putting up 1.80+ p/60:

PlayerPositionGPPoints/60Shots/60Hits/60
Brady TkachukL2422.3311.413.2
Sam BennettC2031.909.89.1
Evander KaneL1611.8810.512.2

This also highlights how much of a unicorn Brady Tkachuk is among wingers - there's a reason his contract far exceeded what his raw point totals would have suggested. Signed an $8.2M AAV despite pacing for 53 points in his contract year.

Sam Bennett is similarly a unicorn among centers, and has averaged a 33 goal 61 point pace during the team's last two very successful playoff runs (with a higher 5v5 p/60 than Barkov). His playoffs hits/60 nearly doubled from 9.1 in the regular season to 17.1 in those 2 runs, which again shows his value in the playoffs.

Lindholm is probably the best, most recent comparison - they'll be the same age at the time of signing, and they are both versatile, well rounded all situations centers who are good but not elite offensively, but they've proven they're capable of centering a top team's #1 scoring line. Lindholm paced for 16 goal 48 points in his contract year, pretty far below the 27g 56p pace Bennett has averaged as a Panther.

Other recent examples that make sense are Hertl, Couturier, Kadri, Horvat, and Cirelli.
PlayerAAVInflation adjusted (assume 3.0% annual)
Horvat$8.5M$9.02M
Hertl$8.14M$8.89M
Lindholm$7.75M$7.98M
Couturier$7.75M$8.47M
Kadri$7M$7.65M
Cirelli$6.25M$6.63M
Average$7.57M$8.11M

When you factor in his physicality and the way he elevates his game during the playoffs, I think Bennett's agent should be asking for $8M+ on a long term deal. If Panthers can get him for anything less $7.5M I think that's a discount vs what the market would offer, especially considering what we just saw Lindholm sign for.
All perfect reasons why he would make an excellent Bruin. Would love to see that first day of camp between him marchy .

Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
No I specifically cited how you framed your statement and premise. If you were Bennett, I simply stated you aren't and have zero clue what he feels or wants yet offered up what you would do. 95% of the commentary on hf is not framed that way.
I'm sure I'll regret engaging with this nonsense but here we go..

No, you're right as you so obviously pointed out I am not a millionaire NHL player. However being a man in my mid 20's it's not hard to imagine the mindset. I wouldn't wanna leave a winning team in South Florida where I have beautiful weather, a government that leaves me alone, and relative anonymity. I certainly wouldn't want to move north where it's cold, the media are like cockroaches constantly crawling up my ass, and the government.. well I'll leave that part alone. And then there's the next factor.. the makeup of the team.

Bennett is exactly the type of player who plays a winning brand of hockey. He's physical, doesn't take shifts/nights off, he plays hockey the hard way. So again I may not be an NHL player, but I've had teammates who care more about padding their stats than winning games. It's incredibly frustrating to work your ass off just to see a teammate duck a hit, cheat defensively, and just in general put in very inconsistent efforts.

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Dread Clawz

LAWSonic Boom
Nov 25, 2006
Pennsylvania
I'd be very surprised if Zito brings back Bennett. First, that would preclude re-signing/replacing Ekblad, which is untenable. Second, the Lundell contract clearly telegraphs intent to promote him to 2C. The logical thing would be to then shift Luostarinen back to 3C. And even if that doesn't work, Rodrigues and even Reinhart are also mix-and-match options to fill the Top 9 Centers internally.

There are half a dozen more sensible options than allocating $5m-$6m to pencil Bennett at 3C for the rest of this era--assuming Sam would even accept that contract and reduced role.

You realize the cap is going up to 92M right? We can fit in Benny and Ekblad very easily..

TheBigLetowski

Jul 31, 2016
I wouldn't be surprised if Canes make a pitch (if he leaves). They need a nasty playoff player, and more importantly a 2C.

Phion Keneuf

Bang Bang
Jul 4, 2010
JT out Bennett in would make the Leafs a lot better next year. Doubt it happens, I’d hold onto him if I was FLA

seabass45

Jan 12, 2007
His unique resume also makes it impossible to think of a contract comparison. What is the going rate for a Top 6 center (who has never broken 50 points), who plays playoff style hockey (but not in the d-zone), and has winning pedigree (as long as he's healthy)?
Kevin Hayes got 50 mil and he broke 50 points once before hitting UFA (his contract year, lol). Bennett will be in high demand.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
I'd be very surprised if Zito brings back Bennett. First, that would preclude re-signing/replacing Ekblad, which is untenable. Second, the Lundell contract clearly telegraphs intent to promote him to 2C. The logical thing would be to then shift Luostarinen back to 3C. And even if that doesn't work, Rodrigues and even Reinhart are also mix-and-match options to fill the Top 9 Centers internally.

There are half a dozen more sensible options than allocating $5m-$6m to pencil Bennett at 3C for the rest of this era--assuming Sam would even accept that contract and reduced role.
I don’t think this is at all true. Zito’s first two acquisitions were Hornqvist and Gudas, Bennett brings the exact energy, grit, and nastiness that Zito wants on this team. We owe Tkachuk being here to him as Benny would tell him how much he loved being here. Since Chucky’s been here, he and Bennett have had incredible chemistry and both have produced well together both during the season and post-season.

What’s untenable about letting Ek walk? His legs are a concern and he’s slow, he could definitley be allowed to walk. He has a ring now, he’s not an elite/#1 D, imo he needs to come in for a lot less or can walk.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiskeyYerTheDevils

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Highest I’d go in a salary cap world of 92 million next year is 7.5 million a year. Of course, especially in years when the caps rises, you’ll always get some butt f*** idiot GM to f*** the market on free agent frenzy day or even before that so who knows.

It’s his last big dick contract most likely and already has a cup. I’m sure his agent knows that. He’s not taking an AAV to what he has similar now.

Last edited:

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
You realize the cap is going up to 92M right? We can fit in Benny and Ekblad very easily..
We can keep both as long as Mackie's cap hit stays negligible, Bennet comes in under $6m AAV, and Ekblad comes in under $7m AAV. If that happens, great. But it'd be poor cap management to give $6m+ and an NMC to our future 3C when we already have already have internal options.
I don’t think this is at all true. Zito’s first two acquisitions were Hornqvist and Gudas, Bennett brings the exact energy, grit, and nastiness that Zito wants on this team. We owe Tkachuk being here to him as Benny would tell him how much he loved being here. Since Chucky’s been here, he and Bennett have had incredible chemistry and both have produced well together both during the season and post-season.

What’s untenable about letting Ek walk? His legs are a concern and he’s slow, he could definitley be allowed to walk. He has a ring now, he’s not an elite/#1 D, imo he needs to come in for a lot less or can walk.
And Zito thanked both for their service, LTIRetired Hornqvist midseason, and allowed Gudas to walk as a UFA.
Re: Ekblad, which top pair RD are we replacing him with for less than $7m? If there is a plan, then sure. But otherwise, Ekblad is neither a problem nor expendable as our 2D and Forsling's partner.

• Haha
Reactions: Laus723

kerrabria

May 3, 2018
Yep. He's an old school guy who can play the game any way you want. Excellent in all three zones. Great puck carrier and distributor while being one of the hardest hitting players in the game AND being one of the best pound for pound fighters around. That's an extremely rare combination. He's also excellent at getting pucks go the net and creating space for his teammates.

There's a reason both Huberdeau and Tkachuk had their career years playing on Bennett's wing - his ability to transport the puck through the neutral zone and create havoc in the offensive zone is exactly what heavy footed scoring wingers need.

There really aren't very many top 6 centers like him in the league.

View attachment 913865

Over the last 3 years, there have been 5 players who have paced for an average of 50+ points, 175+ hits, and 225+ shots, and only one of them was a center:

PlayerPositionGPPoints/82 game paceShots/82 game paceHits/82 game pace
Alex OvechkinL22982322182
Andrei SvechnikovR20172244192
Brady TkachukL24276336273
Evander KaneL16157264259
Sam BennettC20353244179

That's 4 of the top power wingers in the league, and then Sam Bennett.

Same story at 5v5, only 3 guys average 9+ shots and hits/60 while putting up 1.80+ p/60:

PlayerPositionGPPoints/60Shots/60Hits/60
Brady TkachukL2422.3311.413.2
Sam BennettC2031.909.89.1
Evander KaneL1611.8810.512.2

This also highlights how much of a unicorn Brady Tkachuk is among wingers - there's a reason his contract far exceeded what his raw point totals would have suggested. Signed an $8.2M AAV despite pacing for 53 points in his contract year.

Sam Bennett is similarly a unicorn among centers, and has averaged a 33 goal 61 point pace during the team's last two very successful playoff runs (with a higher 5v5 p/60 than Barkov). His playoffs hits/60 nearly doubled from 9.1 in the regular season to 17.1 in those 2 runs, which again shows his value in the playoffs.

Lindholm is probably the best, most recent comparison - they'll be the same age at the time of signing, and they are both versatile, well rounded all situations centers who are good but not elite offensively, but they've proven they're capable of centering a top team's #1 scoring line. Lindholm paced for 16 goal 48 points in his contract year, pretty far below the 27g 56p pace Bennett has averaged as a Panther.

Other recent examples that make sense are Hertl, Couturier, Kadri, Horvat, and Cirelli.
PlayerAAVInflation adjusted (assume 3.0% annual)
Horvat$8.5M$9.02M
Hertl$8.14M$8.89M
Lindholm$7.75M$7.98M
Couturier$7.75M$8.47M
Kadri$7M$7.65M
Cirelli$6.25M$6.63M
Average$7.57M$8.11M

When you factor in his physicality and the way he elevates his game during the playoffs, I think Bennett's agent should be asking for $8M+ on a long term deal. If Panthers can get him for anything less $7.5M I think that's a discount vs what the market would offer, especially considering what we just saw Lindholm sign for.
I love your posts and hate that my first afternoon on HF in two years includes disagreeing with you, but I have to.
A cherry-picked number of shots, hits, and points/game is an incredibly arbitrary way to demonstrate the value of a player. And more importantly, Bennett does not belong in a conversation with Lindholm, Cirelli, Couturier, or really any of those contract comps. These are perennial Selke nominees and guys whose production blows Bennet out of the water. If Bennett was anything special defensively, he wouldn't get some of the most O-Zone heavy deployment and least PK time among FLA forwards.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
The more I think about it the more I think he signs a team friendly-ish deal. 8 years something in the high 6's maybe low 7's.

But he could easily get $8m on the open market

Would be an insane amount for a 50P/82GP forward, but Lindholm just signed for almost 8M coming off of a 44P/75GP season, so who knows.

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
We can keep both as long as Mackie's cap hit stays negligible, Bennet comes in under $6m AAV, and Ekblad comes in under $7m AAV. If that happens, great. But it'd be poor cap management to give $6m+ and an NMC to our future 3C when we already have already have internal options.

And Zito thanked both for their service, LTIRetired Hornqvist midseason, and allowed Gudas to walk as a UFA.
Re: Ekblad, which top pair RD are we replacing him with for less than $7m? If there is a plan, then sure. But otherwise, Ekblad is neither a problem nor expendable as our 2D and Forsling's partner.
Uhhhh, Horny was older and…injured. He’d have been re-signed if he still had years, what’s the point here? And Horny’s still here. Gudas priced himself out, which sure Bennett could do, but if Gudas wanted to come back for less…he’d be here as well. Letting him move on allowed for Mikkola, Kuli, OEL, and additional depth up front.

All that said, the two of them were brought in for a reason, to bring toughness and show the guys how a team needs to play. Bennett embodies that. He’s great on the forecheck, hits everything, is good defensively (hilarious you bring up zone starts when Barkov, Lundell, and Stenlund last year are on the team. All elite defensively), gets in front of the net…all of which wears down the opposition. You’re undermining his importance to the team.

Ek isn’t a problem? He loses pucks, gets beat, and doesn’t have the speed to get back if he pinches. He currently does a great job at cutting off angles and denying entry into the zone but he has to be ahead of the play to do so. We’d be in trouble if Forsling did t have the wheels he does. I don’t hate Ek by any means, I’m just realistic. So far as a replacement, I’ll trust Zito. Keep Ek, let him go, he’ll make the right decision. Untenability (lmao) has nothing to do with it, but it’s funny your defense of Ek and lack of with Bennett.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad