Since joining the Canucks in 2019, JT Miller is 10th in league scoring

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Disen
Exaggerating the standings... you mean saying exactly how they were... we finished 9th in the west.
That's clearly being disingenuous, and leaving out details in order to paint it in the worst light possible. They were tied in points with 8th place. There was only 2 points separating 9th and 6th, with an unequal amount of games played, the Canucks having games in hand. Making conclusions on how the remaining games would have played out, is guesswork. You actually don't know, yet you're pretending you do.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Disen

That's clearly being disingenuous, and leaving out details in order to paint it in the worst light possible. They were tied in points with 8th place. There was only 2 points separating 9th and 6th, with an unequal amount of games played, the Canucks having games in hand. Making conclusions on how the remaining games would have played out, is guesswork. You actually don't know, yet you're pretending you do.

They were tied for 6th in points percentage. Saying they were 9th when there’s an unequal number of games is ridiculous.

They were 9th and dropping like a rock with our starting goalie out and other injuries mounting…

But go ahead and live in a bubble.

• Haha
Reactions: Hoglander

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
They were 9th and dropping like a rock with our starting goalie out and other injuries mounting…

But go ahead and live in a bubble.

Speaking of bubbles, the Canucks were seeded 7th in the bubble playoffs due to points percentage (Nashville had more RWs). Which makes saying they were 9th and that’s it painfully idiotic. Maybe they don’t make it in a full year, but there’s ebbs and flows in a season. A down stretch before covid doesn’t mean they definitely wouldn’t make it. The last game they played before the stoppage had pretty much everyone important in the lineup except Markstrom so I’m not sure what injuries were mounting. And considering what Demko did in the playoffs and the following season I’m not sure losing Markstrom was much of a blow.

Last edited:
Reactions: Hoglander

Stive Morgan

Fatso forgot to shake my hand
Jul 25, 2011
British Columbia
I don't think many people hate the team. The fans on the other hand
I'm a Montreal fan in Vancouver and Vancouver has one of the best/worst fanbases in the world, just like us lol

I've been attacked/threatened in public several times because dumbass Canuck fans thought my Canadiens jersey was a Calgary Flames jersey

1) Attacking someone over sports fandom is trashy af

2) At least know the jersey of your rival you drunk idiot

Reactions: TheOrangeDesk

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
If I remember correctly, Tampa was in cap hell and people thought the Canucks could have gotten him cheaper because of it.
It's possible, but there were other teams in on Miller. It's not like Miller had an NMC and was picking Vancouver. They still had to outbid other teams, and you can't do that without... outbidding them. We have no idea what other teams were offering.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Speaking of bubbles, the Canucks were seeded 7th in the bubble playoffs due to points percentage (Nashville had more RWs). Which makes saying they were 9th and that’s it painfully idiotic. Maybe they don’t make it in a full year, but there’s ebbs and flows in a season. A down stretch before covid doesn’t mean they definitely wouldn’t make it. The last game they played before the stoppage had pretty much everyone important in the lineup except Markstrom so I’m not sure what injuries were mounting. And considering what Demko did in the playoffs and the following season I’m not sure losing Markstrom was much of a blow.

Don’t consider bubble demko… consider what he was doing… which was losing and not playing well. Losing Marky was a huge blow, and it showed in season and at the time…

Play that season out and we miss 7 out of 10 times. We were a tired team with mounting injuries… Marky wasn’t the only one.

Nogatco Rd

Did you just call me Coltrane?
Apr 3, 2021
Vancouver's 1st got traded to Tampa Bay for JT Miller, who is one VAN's top forwards.

Tampa Bay traded that 1st to NJ for Blake Coleman, who was an important player for TB and helped win two Stanley Cups.

NJ used that pick to draft Shakir Mukhamadullin, who was then a key piece the Timo Meier trade.

Mukhamadullin has 16 points in 21 games for AHL Barracuda and seems to have all the tools to be a future top pairing defenseman. In a rebuilding SJ franchise desperate for talent.
Crazy to think how that pick has traveled through four different franchises and every single one of those four franchises has found a way to benefit from this one asset.
IIRC this is the same plot as the Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants

CanucksSayEh

Apr 6, 2012
Guarantee there were people saying Vancouver overpaid in the trade.
Someone could make a lot of money betting against HF Canucks consensus. A year ago, most wanted Miller traded, voted EP to be the next captain, and predicted a 4th place finish in the division at best.

People are dumb.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Don’t consider bubble demko… consider what he was doing… which was losing and not playing well. Losing Marky was a huge blow, and it showed in season and at the time…

Play that season out and we miss 7 out of 10 times. We were a tired team with mounting injuries… Marky wasn’t the only one.

Some guys like Hughes and Boeser were banged up but the lineup was pretty much fully together the last game against the Isles. Tanev was injured that game, but I don’t think their injuries were “mounting”.

Demko was 3-4 with a .906 SV% after Markstrom went down. He wasn’t saving the team like Markstrom was and had a couple bad goals, but he wasn’t playing poorly and his best game was the last one before the stoppage. Bubble Demko wasn’t that far in the future to think that he couldn’t have risen to the occasion as he got into a groove as the starter.

Realistically the team’s core since that season has been wildly inconsistent so I’m not sure what would have happened and I don’t feel confident they would have made it, but we’ll never know.

Regardless, even if they missed they likely wouldn’t have picked higher than 9th/10th, and then were 9th the following year. Miller for either of those picks doesn’t look as good but isn’t exactly terrible either, especially if it’s deferred and prevents the OEL deal. The 2020 draft has some nice pieces in that range, but none of them would make the team better today, and even if Miller hadn’t improved as much as he did, he’d still fit in that range of impact. I think it’s reasonable to believe that the team wasn’t in position to make the Miller deal at the time, but the potential for it to have been a terrible deal was still fairly low.

Last edited:

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
JT is a super popular player in Van, his style of game stands out immediately even to casual fans.

He has now learned to control his emotions for a full 60 minutes and become a good leader. Officially one of the league’s big dawgs.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
Some guys like Hughes and Boeser were banged up but the lineup was pretty much fully together the last game against the Isles. Tanev was injured that game, but I don’t think their injuries were “mounting”.

Demko was 3-4 with a .906 SV% after Markstrom went down. He wasn’t saving the team like Markstrom was and had a couple bad goals, but he wasn’t playing poorly and his best game was the last one before the stoppage. Bubble Demko wasn’t that far in the future to think that he couldn’t have risen to the occasion as he got into a groove as the starter.

Realistically the team’s core since that season has been wildly inconsistent so I’m not sure what would have happened and I don’t feel confident they would have made it, but we’ll never know.

Regardless, even if they missed they likely wouldn’t have picked higher than 9th/10th, and then were 9th the following year. Miller for either of those picks doesn’t look as good but isn’t exactly terrible either, especially if it’s deferred and prevents the OEL deal. The 2020 draft has some nice pieces in that range, but none of them would make the team better today, and even if Miller hadn’t improved as much as he did, he’d still fit in that range of impact. I think it’s reasonable to believe that the team wasn’t in position to make the Miller deal at the time, but the potential for it to have been a terrible deal was still fairly low.

You are right that we will never know, but we had Demko in net, and no matter how you want to put it, at this point he was a lot different then Marky, and our top shut down dman injured... that is big. Plus we had been trending down for a while and were 5-5 in our last 10 with 2 of those wins being in OT and SO against teams that were not exactly at the top of the standings.

There isn't a lot there to think they were going to keep a playoff spot especially when you realize they were 4th in the Div... and yes 9th in the Div. Pt % is great, but you still have to win the games, and it seems we were not in a spot to win a lot of those games down the stretch...

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Guarantee there were people saying Vancouver overpaid in the trade.
I'm guilty of that and honestly before last season's unexpected breakout I really wondered in the direction of this club.

Hopefully it's not like past flashes then dips back into mediocrity for this team.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
I'm guilty of that and honestly before last season's unexpected breakout I really wondered in the direction of this club.

Hopefully it's not like past flashes then dips back into mediocrity for this team.

I think they'll be contenders for the foreseeable future - aside from Miller the entire core is under 30. Between Pettersson, Hughes and Demko they have elite players at three very important positions.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
His lack of respect around a fanbases is kind of crazy. Honestly, the guy literally does everything, he should be talked about on a regular basis about being one of the best players in the league, probably best power forward in the league right now.

Not to mention he backs it up in the playoffs, he’s incredible

UpHere

Feelin' it
Jun 16, 2009
His lack of respect around a fanbases is kind of crazy. Honestly, the guy literally does everything, he should be talked about on a regular basis about being one of the best players in the league, probably best power forward in the league right now.

Not to mention he backs it up in the playoffs, he’s incredible
he's a damn fine hockey player, every team should want this guy, plus a few more of him (I loathe the canucks) the Oilers are a great reclamation team of obvious problem children- we could prolly trade you a defenceman for him straight up

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022

I look back to the team under Benning and see a team that has a lot of good players but played a system that made no sense for them along with a terrible bottom six and a thin Dcorp.

I look at this team and see a lot of really good players with a lot of depth, no real glaring holes playing a system they have 100% bought into.

The coaching staff is elite along with a management that brought in players the staff wanted.

We still have 4 imo prospects that will become part of the core in the next two seasons in Raty, EP, Lekkerimakki and Willander, along with a ton of cap flexibility thanks to Allvin not handing out ridiculous contracts based on 13 playoff games.

As shell-shocked of a fanbase that we've become, I think last season was only the beginning.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00