Since joining the Canucks in 2019, JT Miller is 10th in league scoring

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I think he's just super emotional and that leads to outbursts.

Some people view it as toxic because it's intense - others view it as passionate and it fires them up. I think JT needed to find a room of people who would check him when he overstepped but let him be the passionate guy he is.

He found it.
The difference is that if the team is winning it's a good thing but when the Canucks were crap it's a bad thing when in reality Miller hasn't chamged.

It's funny how winning cures all, it's a cliché but sports is all about clichés.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Funny thing is he'd probably be 1st if he didn't get bored of Hockey and make his brother TJ Miller play some of his games (all 0 point games are by his brother)
Am I the only person who thought of this:

TJ Hooker.jpg

Reactions: Stive Morgan

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
11th now. Washed.
Jokes aside and pardon my grad pun but what a strange crazy journey it has been. Despite his worst season here him still being almost a ppg player, there were still nucks fans that blamed him for everything that was going wrong here. Sure every dozen or so games he let his emotions get the best of him but I loved the fact that he was pissed off especially since the vanilla captain at the time was a leaderless cliche I still get a feeling of dread when I think back on just how bad things got before Tochett, or if they had kept Horvat over JT.

I still get a laugh at the outrage over giving up a 1st for him and that dude with the username jtmillerfora1stlol.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

eviohh26

Dec 19, 2017
Victoria BC Canada
Jokes aside and pardon my grad pun but what a strange crazy journey it has been. Despite his worst season here him still being almost a ppg player, there were still nucks fans that blamed him for everything that was going wrong here. Sure every dozen or so games he let his emotions get the best of him but I loved the fact that he was pissed off especially since the vanilla captain at the time was a leaderless cliche I still get a feeling of dread when I think back on just how bad things got before Tochett, or if they had kept Horvat over JT.

I still get a laugh at the outrage over giving up a 1st for him and that dude with the username jtmillerfora1stlol.
He may get pissy here and there but he doesn't take cheap shots at other players like someone we all know.

He has never cup checked. slew foot, or threw an elbow at the opposing teams captains face once.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC

In hindsight of course JT Miller has been worth every penny of that trade. It was an absolute homerun.

However I still believe the philosophy behind that trade was stupid at the time. Firstly, JT Miller had upside but no one predicted his explosion of development over the next few years. Secondly, the Canucks were a lottery team two seasons prior, then around 24th place the offseason we moved the 1st for Miller. It had one year protection or something but the chances we bottomed out the next 2 years was making a crazy gamble. This wasn't trading a typical 'late 1st' type deal - this 1st could have been a lottery ball.

None of this is to say I don't love JT Miller. I'm glad history and Benning's idiocy payed off if only 1 time but I hate it when people criticize others that didn't like the trade at the time. There was good reason it was a dumb move.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
I've started to warm up to the Canucks and Miller has been a big part of that. He's really a "walk the walk" kind of player and he's a massive part of Vancouver being so good. This is especially considering that Pettersson's play isn't as aggressive and direct as Miller. JTM is consistent and carries a great burden in Vancouver very well I'd say

I think having him and Hughes leading this team has done wonders especially with how each guy leads by example in various manner

I think Miller's in for another big season. I think he's more than settled in as one of leagues top centers

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
In hindsight of course JT Miller has been worth every penny of that trade. It was an absolute homerun.

However I still believe the philosophy behind that trade was stupid at the time. Firstly, JT Miller had upside but no one predicted his explosion of development over the next few years. Secondly, the Canucks were a lottery team two seasons prior, then around 24th place the offseason we moved the 1st for Miller. It had one year protection or something but the chances we bottomed out the next 2 years was making a crazy gamble. This wasn't trading a typical 'late 1st' type deal - this 1st could have been a lottery ball.

None of this is to say I don't love JT Miller. I'm glad history and Benning's idiocy payed off if only 1 time but I hate it when people criticize others that didn't like the trade at the time. There was good reason it was a dumb move.
It's understandable to think the trade was stupid at the time, especially since a good portion of Canuck fans wanted to tank at that point, but the club was trying to exit the rebuild stage, and improve. It was a calculated bet, and it was a conditional 1st which afforded them a 2nd year in case things didn't work out as fast as planned. It's weird that you still think it was stupid, when it has been proven to be a mammoth homerun for the club.

The 20th pick overall, Marek Mazenec, and a 3rd, is a ridiculously lopsided win for Vancouver. It's time to just give Benning credit for this very uncharacteristic, absolutely fantastic move.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
It's understandable to think the trade was stupid at the time, especially since a good portion of Canuck fans wanted to tank at that point, but the club was trying to exit the rebuild stage, and improve. It was a calculated bet, and it was a conditional 1st which afforded them a 2nd year in case things didn't work out as fast as planned. It's weird that you still think it was stupid, when it has been proven to be a mammoth homerun for the club.

The 20th pick overall, Marek Mazenec, and a 3rd, is a ridiculously lopsided win for Vancouver. It's time to just give Benning credit for this very uncharacteristic, absolutely fantastic move.

Benning got lucky.
I give him as much credit as the guy that bets it all on 23 at roulette and hits the number.

There's too much evidence to support he had no idea what he was doing. That's not to say the Miller trade didn't end up a homerun but put a gun to my head I stand by the fact that AT THE TIME it was a lousy gamble that worked out wonderfully. Whatever credit you think I owe Benning is a joke.

Reactions: Bjornar Moxnes

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Benning got lucky.
I give him as much credit as the guy that bets it all on 23 at roulette and hits the number.

There's too much evidence to support he had no idea what he was doing. That's not to say the Miller trade didn't end up a homerun but put a gun to my head I stand by the fact that AT THE TIME it was a lousy gamble that worked out wonderfully. Whatever credit you think I owe Benning is a joke.
Your taking a massive win, and trying to turn it into a no-win scenario. The joke, is that your hate for Benning has clouded your judgment to the point where you actually believe that there was zero thought behind the trade for Miller, and that it was a total fluke. That is some over the top nonsense.

Look, Benning was overall lousy at his job - no question, but he did get a few things right. If you can't admit that, then I don't know what else to say. Good luck with your Benning PTSD, I guess

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Your taking a massive win, and trying to turn it into a no-win scenario. The joke, is that your hate for Benning has clouded your judgment to the point where you actually believe that there was zero thought behind the trade for Miller, and that it was a total fluke. That is some over the top nonsense.

Look, Benning was overall lousy at his job - no question, but he did get a few things right. If you can't admit that, then I don't know what else to say. Good luck with your Benning PTSD, I guess

I don't agree with the philosophy and timing of the JT Miller trade. You're incapable of having any discussion outside of 'Benning do good here you must admit'. Like I said, I relate it to a guy betting his last $5 dollars on a roulette number and miraculously hitting his 38-1 odds. It was lucky and it was a poor gamble that worked out. That's my take, time to get over it.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
it is funny how nuck fans love him one day, want to trade him the next and then want to put him on Mount Rushmore a few days later
majority of the fanbase got blue balled by Benning refusing to do an actual proper rebuild so when Benning got fired, people thought we are going to finally do one and JT at his age, performance and contract (5.xM X 2) made a prime candidate to kickstart that rebuild.

Most people didn't believe Allvin and Rutherford could turn the team around without a rebuild and we know how that went.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Hoglander

Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
I don't agree with the philosophy and timing of the JT Miller trade. You're incapable of having any discussion outside of 'Benning do good here you must admit'. Like I said, I relate it to a guy betting his last $5 dollars on a roulette number and miraculously hitting his 38-1 odds. It was lucky and it was a poor gamble that worked out. That's my take, time to get over it.
The first was conditional, so clearly there was thought put into the deal. Although, maybe you need me to explain how a conditional pick works.

Your imaginary roulette scenario, and the made up odds accompanying it, is cringe. Your odds are silly, and "last 5 dollars" represents what, exactly? Their last 1st round pick ever? Lol.

Your analogy could technically be applied to every trade ever made. If good trades are just lucky, then are bad trades simply unlucky? No skill or thought process involved? Or (I already know the answer to this) does this only apply to Benning? It's like I said, you've created a no-win scenario, based on your hate of the guy.

Your take is awful, and heavily influenced by your hate of the guy. Time to get over your Benning PTSD.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
The first was conditional, so clearly there was thought put into the deal. Although, maybe you need me to explain how a conditional pick works.

Your imaginary roulette scenario, and the made up odds accompanying it, is cringe. Your odds are silly, and "last 5 dollars" represents what, exactly? Their last 1st round pick ever? Lol.

Your analogy could technically be applied to every trade ever made. If good trades are just lucky, then are bad trades simply unlucky? No skill or thought process involved? Or (I already know the answer to this) does this only apply to Benning? It's like I said, you've created a no-win scenario, based on your hate of the guy.

Your take is awful, and heavily influenced by your hate of the guy. Time to get over your Benning PTSD.

The condescension is weird mate. Yes please talk down to me from your high horse about how conditional picks work.

Teams that haven't made the playoffs in 5 years or whatever it was don't trade their 1st rounders. If you can understand why that is you should be able to wrap your head around why that trade at the time was a strange gamble. Canucks were a dogfart team that traded their 1st rd pick.

Not going to entertain the conversation anymore we seem to be going in circles.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Hated the trade at the time, hated him for years after, thought he was a douche.

The trade of course turned out to be a (very) rare Benning W. Still not my favorite player but I like him a lot now. Glad to have him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad