WJC: Simple Poll - Who Will Win The World Juniors?

Who Will Win The World Juniors

• Total voters

Gold Standard

Sep 7, 2018
Canada is the favorite. but USA or Sweden got a legit shot at it as well. I'm hoping for a Canada v USA GMG.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013
Surprised the US isn't the clear 2nd favorite here. They have a pretty dang well-rounded team. Lack some depth on defense perhaps but outside of that they're stacked. Spencer Knight in goal, Sanderson and York on defense that should be able to anchor a pairing each. Up front you have insane talent that have historically dominated their peers with Turcotte, Zegras, Caufield, Boldy and then you add in Beniers, Brink, Brisson and Kaliyev for good measure. I think they have a very strong team.

For me it's probably 1. Canada 2. USA 3. Russia.

Finland and Sweden have some high-end players on their teams but not sure they have the depth for this tournament, but of course anything can happen, especially in a year like this. And as usual it's more about coming together as a team and a collective rather than to have the best individual players.

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
I would say if there’s one goalie that can beat Canada it’s Askarov, the American defence are weak in my opinion and knight was pedestrian last year against Canada whilst Askarov singlehandedly carried this Russian age group past Canada at hlinka
Let's mention that knight was just okay last wjc but completely omit the fact that Askarov was terrible.

Last edited:
Reactions: BernieParent

Zebra

Feb 12, 2017
I vote Canada for Gold.

I recognize there could be goalie issues etc with Canada
but ultimately I think it will come down to health and injuries.

If Canada stays Covid clean we are Golden.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I would say if there’s one goalie that can beat Canada it’s Askarov, the American defence are weak in my opinion and knight was pedestrian last year against Canada whilst Askarov singlehandedly carried this Russian age group past Canada at hlinka

Just so everyone knows, you are suggesting that because you watched a game at a much lower level where a player had success and saw a game not as good from a player at a much higher level that the game from the much lower level tells you that the player you saw in that game will have more success than the guy you saw play at a much higher level when they play at the same level. This is completely disregarding that the player you saw play at a much lower level played even worse at that higher level than the guy you didn’t like how he played. Following this logic is amusing.

Eternal Leaf

Jul 4, 2011
Toronto
Canada.

On paper, this is unquestionably the strongest, deepest team in the tournament.

Upsets can indeed happen but that's like predicting injuries/health to decide who will win.

NoMessi

Jan 2, 2009
Russia looks strong.

Sweden a missing centers due to covid, which is why they wont be a contender.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
WEW HEW!!!

This is my second "poll" with LOTS of votes. I need to come up with another one. Polls are fun to make.
Here are my thoughts on the poll concept. The one you just did was a great example of the problems with doing these. It was all too predictable that Canada was going to run away with it. What we need to do is drill down a bit further to mine more insight by tweaking the question. For example;
“Kirby Dach seems to be the overwhelming favourite to win the scoring title. So if we EXCLUDE Dach, who will be the next highest scorer?”
This should give us a lot more options and varied opinions. Just my two cents.

ORRFForever

Oct 29, 2018
Here are my thoughts on the poll concept. The one you just did was a great example of the problems with doing these. It was all too predictable that Canada was going to run away with it. What we need to do is drill down a bit further to mine more insight by tweaking the question. For example;
“Kirby Dach seems to be the overwhelming favourite to win the scoring title. So if we EXCLUDE Dach, who will be the next highest scorer?”
This should give us a lot more options and varied opinions. Just my two cents.
I didn't mean the results. I was just happy to make a poll that people participated in. I made one in the Entertainment forum and no one voted. You watch your thread and hope someone votes. Silly, I know, but it kinda stings when no one does.

Last edited:

ChicagoBullsFan

Jun 6, 2015
Finland
Russia.
Larionov has done good job to get his players ready and step up right time.
That hockey what Russia's U20 team played in Finland's EHT tournament was absolutely beautiful.

Statsy

Dec 21, 2009
Vancouver
I didn't mean the results. I was just happy to make a poll that people participated in. I made one in the Entertainment forum and no one voted. You watch your thread and hope someone votes. Silly, I know, but it kinda hurts when no one does.
Umm, okay. In that case try:

“Do you like hockey?”

Yes
No

:sarcasm:

Reactions: ORRFForever

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jesus is this supposed to be an easy tournament for canada or are there a lot of Canadians voting? I know canada is looking good but I haven't been paying attention to other countries.
I think it comes from Canada having 22 1st rounders on their roster and as of now, have no covid issue going on.

But we all know that in single elimination tourney's, anything can happen. One game where a goalie stands on his head can change everything.

Marky9er

Jan 30, 2008
Austria because Stiegl is very good beer. (Ok, I'll change my vote back to Canada.)

So good.

WhiskeyYerTheDevils

yer leadin me astray
Sponsor
Apr 27, 2005
I'm a bit surprised US is 3rd in this poll. I have it as a toss up between them and Canada. They've got tons of returning forwards who are all high draft picks, which includes arguably the best playmaker and and best goal scorer in the tournament. On top of that, they probably have the best goaltending in the tournament, with last year's starter (who is either the best or 2nd best in tournament) and backup returning as well.

I think goaltending + tournament experience helps offset Canada's depth advantage and defense.

Russia could be dangerous with Askarov and some decent offensive talent, but I'd have them behind both North American clubs.

Reactions: Statsy

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad