Simon Edvinsson

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
More and more starting to show the promise.

Just need to find good cost effective partners for him and Mo.

With how he's trending, I think ASP is likely to be in the top 4, hopefully within 2 years max. Need 1 more left shot D and I feel really good about the blue line going forward.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
With how he's trending, I think ASP is likely to be in the top 4, hopefully within 2 years max. Need 1 more left shot D and I feel really good about the blue line going forward.
It will be really interesting to see if the Red Wings go the full home grown route with the top 4. Wallinder certainly has a shot to be that LD.

But that would totally be out of character for the org to put all that youth on the back end.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023
It will be really interesting to see if the Red Wings go the full home grown route with the top 4. Wallinder certainly has a shot to be that LD.

But that would totally be out of character for the org to put all that youth on the back end.

Yeah he seems to be the best candidate internally, but IMO he needs to really step up this year in GR. Not that I have a specific name in mind, but the Wings are going to have a ton of cap space the next 2 years...maybe the answer is a top LD, even if it's an overpay?

Reactions: RED WINGS STOMP

JohanFranzenstein

Dec 6, 2013
I've been impressed with Simon so far this year. Some mistakes, but that's to be expected. He's looked incredibly poised at times, and is the only other defenseman we have besides Mo that can slow the game down a little bit.
...maybe the answer is a top LD, even if it's an overpay?
Fingers crossed Steve throws some money at Shea Theodore. Having Shea on the top pair with Mo next year, hopefully Ed takes a big step, can anchor his own pairing, and we can roll a 1A/1B type top two pairings, instead of the 3A/3B/3C we've iced for almost a decade.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Yeah he seems to be the best candidate internally, but IMO he needs to really step up this year in GR. Not that I have a specific name in mind, but the Wings are going to have a ton of cap space the next 2 years...maybe the answer is a top LD, even if it's an overpay?

This is definitely his year to shine. Ed looks like a top4 staple going forward. Albert has looked alright in his limited showings. ASP continues to impress in Sweden. Might be worth giving the kids the opportunity and throwing some of that free money at a forward.

DatsDeking

Jun 25, 2013
When he’s on he’s on. What I like most about him is he doesn’t need to be flashy to make the right play. The takeaway is awesome, but the little push pass to Seider off the faceoff is such a good example of keeping it simple and calm. It isn’t a highlight reel play (despite that it literally is here lol) but it killed valuable time by getting Mo the puck who then knew exactly what to do with it—take it around the back, skate up, and dump it out. It clicks and gets the job done. Love it.

I was hopeful for Ed but consider me officially on the hype train. He’s gonna have his brain farts like game 1 but if he shows more of this than that, he’ll develop realgud.

Fingers crossed Steve throws some money at Shea Theodore. Having Shea on the top pair with Mo next year, hopefully Ed takes a big step, can anchor his own pairing, and we can roll a 1A/1B type top two pairings, instead of the 3A/3B/3C we've iced for almost a decade.
I would absolutely love this. I really wanted Matt Roy this offseason to stabilize the D Corp but Theodore is a much better move IMO. Hopefully he can be had but we’ll see if he hits the market and what his demand is.

Our Lady Peace

Aug 12, 2014
BC
He has always been the prototypical huge 'raw' defenseman that if you rushed to help your NHL team, you would get maybe a Ristolainen out of. A player that struggles to play effective minutes at all situations in the top 4

Since Ed has been cooking in the stove for long enough and played enough NHL games in previous seasons, he's finding his game faster and being relied on just like last game in a PK situation holding a 1-0 lead. Now it's looking like we're getting a potential Ekholm-type player or maybe even more than that. Will be huge for us long term and has been worth the extra little wait in this short term

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
Weird, I thought he didn’t look good 1st and 2nd period. Missed coverage at the net and whiffed passes. He did have a strong 3rd though.

I thought he looked a little uneven in the first but don't remember much bad in the second. Even on that PK he screwed up on a clear but then made up for it with the rest of his play on kill. Overall very happy with Ed.

He's playing big minutes and looking very good overall doing it.

Reactions: JohanFranzenstein

ShanahanMan

Jan 31, 2009
Tokyo, Japan
I thought he looked a little uneven in the first but don't remember much bad in the second. Even on that PK he screwed up on a clear but then made up for it with the rest of his play on kill. Overall very happy with Ed.

He's playing big minutes and looking very good overall doing it.
I don’t know. I feel like if he was drafted anywhere over 20, I’d be happy where he’s at. But at 6OA, and maybe my expectations are too high, but I do wish I saw more.

jaster

I am become woke, destroyer of ignorance.
Jun 8, 2007
I don’t know. I feel like if he was drafted anywhere over 20, I’d be happy where he’s at. But at 6OA, and maybe my expectations are too high, but I do wish I saw more.
Of everyone on this forum, your expectations are definitely not too high, that's crazy talk, c'mon, get outta here.

AlwaysSunnyInDetroit

Oct 1, 2021
I would absolutely love this. I really wanted Matt Roy this offseason to stabilize the D Corp but Theodore is a much better move IMO. Hopefully he can be had but we’ll see if he hits the market and what his demand is.
my only concern with theodore is his health. he's missed over 60 games the past 2 seasons

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2004
For me at 6th overall I figure a guy should be an NHL player but not a guarantee to be top end. Other Dmen drafted at 6th overall are Hampus Lindholm, OEL, Jamie Drysdale, obviously Mo.

Ed is only 21 years old with 31 NHL games under his belt. I think there's still room for him to improve.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"
For me at 6th overall I figure a guy should be an NHL player but not a guarantee to be top end. Other Dmen drafted at 6th overall are Hampus Lindholm, OEL, Jamie Drysdale, obviously Mo.

Ed is only 21 years old with 31 NHL games under his belt. I think there's still room for him to improve.
Dude, he hit his plateau at game 25, he needs a sled for his downhill run at this point.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad