Simon Edvinsson

Dtybur

Jan 14, 2021
So, Red Wingers. Do you still feel that Simon Edvinsson is a potential elite level defenseman, that he was touted in his draft year? He certainly has emense skills, and attributes. Can he put it all together on the ice? I know it's early days, but perhaps he's just a really good number 2 or 3 defenseman in the NHL? I wouldn't be upset about that outcome. Your thoughts, and thanks.

Apr 14, 2009
Canada
Yeah, he has tons of potential. No doubt in my mind he becomes a top pair 22+ minute/game D in the NHL. His offensive ceiling remains to be seen, but he'll log big minutes in the NHL for sure.

Reactions: Dtybur and lilidk

HisNoodliness

Good things come to those who wait
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
Has something happened with him that should change what people think his ceiling is? I haven't heard anything in particular about him. So if you think he was really good, you should still think that.
I think it's a few things working in concert. Firstly, I just think that there's impatience for huge numbers and consistent offensive dominance from any top pick. It's unfair and frankly, Edvinsson is doing really well so it shouldn't be effecting him much, but that always contributes.

Secondly, I think that there's a sort of identity crisis with him and the fans. I was super bullish on Edvinsson in his draft year not because of the Hedman-esque puck rushes, but because of the way his skating and size let him totally lock down a defensive zone. At the time, he was prone to defensive mental mistakes-chasing people out of position and getting caught in no man's land- and thus in the public discourse got labeled as an offensive defenseman. Sometimes he does play with a lot of risk and carries the puck up ice all the time, but as he's developed, he's been playing a more mature game. If you go into watching just a few games expecting him to rush it all the time and he's playing more responsibly, he doesn't jump off the ice with the same pop.

But his defensive game is getting really good to compensate and he really did used to play with too much risk. I think he's still figuring out how to pick his spots for rushes. He either overdoes it, or plays too safe. I'm not worried about this though, but I can see how someone who watched highlights from his draft year and caught 3 games this year might feel like he's not developing how he should. We're trying to develop him into a true two-way, full ice impact D and I think depending on what he's focusing on improving at any particular time, you can get fairly different viewings.

I also think that his offensive skills haven't developed much more pop though. He passes, shoots and stick handles well, but he's not a highlight machine and I don't think that's where he's focusing on improving. He's making steady progress in all of these areas, but besides his skating, his offensive game is a little understated. Someone expecting Dahlin or Q Hughes might find him to be disappointing as a result, but I think that they're missing just how globally dominant he's becoming.

SoupNazi

Gee Wally/SoupNazi 2024
Feb 6, 2010
Has something happened with him that should change what people think his ceiling is? I haven't heard anything in particular about him. So if you think he was really good, you should still think that.
I think it's the fact that he hasn't been called up that has people questioning. I don't think that's justified because we aren't into the "overripe" territory, but I'm assuming that's why people are asking.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
My question would be how they work him into the lineup next year. Who does he pair with? Hronek might make the most sense. But that would require the team to do something they have been totally reluctant to do this year, put Chiarot on third pair and shelter his minutes.

Also, the call up isn't happening until end of year. The point in calling him up now when if they wait a little longer and slide his ELC a year.

KasperTheGrittyGhost

Jan 12, 2008
Michigan
Depends on what you want from him. I see Simon more in the mold of Slavin, Ekholm, Lindholm than some of the more offensive players he was compared to in his draft year.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
My question would be how they work him into the lineup next year. Who does he pair with? Hronek might make the most sense. But that would require the team to do something they have been totally reluctant to do this year, put Chiarot on third pair and shelter his minutes.

Also, the call up isn't happening until end of year. The point in calling him up now when if they wait a little longer and slide his ELC a year.
The theory that's been floated a bit is moving Chiarot to the right side and playing him on a 3rd pairing with Edvinsson.

As for the ELC sometimes it makes sense to burn a year, it could be beneficial for getting that 2nd contract cheaper.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think it's the fact that he hasn't been called up that has people questioning. I don't think that's justified because we aren't into the "overripe" territory, but I'm assuming that's why people are asking.
I'm just as optimistic about him as I have been, personally.

He is .5 PPG on a team that is bottom 5 in the AHL in goals. He has been consistently .5 PPG over the last 2 years in 2 different pro leagues. I think he has continued to show he is a very effective puck mover while working on his defense.

Looking forward to see him play in Detroit whenever that ends up being.

RED WINGS STOMP

Nov 28, 2022
The theory that's been floated a bit is moving Chiarot to the right side and playing him on a 3rd pairing with Edvinsson.

As for the ELC sometimes it makes sense to burn a year, it could be beneficial for getting that 2nd contract cheaper.
Really? After the disaster that was Seider Chiarot, they want to try wrecking another big time youngster by playing him with Chiarot? And with Chiarot on his off hand no less? Plus, I thought one of the reasons they kept Simon down this year was they want him in a top 4 role?

I get the idea behind the ELC burn, but I wouldn't do it.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
I don't think he's quite the prospect that Seider was, but he still looks like a top pairing defenseman in the future and a top prospect throughout the NHL.

I'm hoping he'll play in the top 4 next year with Hronek and Walman will re-sign and Seider will play with Walman on the top pairing. They can't ruin his year by playing him with Chiarot. I'm hoping the Wings are smart enough to learn from that after Chiarot's play this season and he'll likely only get worse.

The other scenario is maybe they re-sign Pysyk after missing the season or sign someone similar and pair said player on the 3rd pairing with Edvinsson and start him off with more sheltered minutes.

lilidk

Mar 4, 2008
I don't think he's quite the prospect that Seider was, but he still looks like a top pairing defenseman in the future and a top prospect throughout the NHL.

I'm hoping he'll play in the top 4 next year with Hronek and Walman will re-sign and Seider will play with Walman on the top pairing. They can't ruin his year by playing him with Chiarot. I'm hoping the Wings are smart enough to learn from that after Chiarot's play this season and he'll likely only get worse.

The other scenario is maybe they re-sign Pysyk after missing the season or sign someone similar and pair said player on the 3rd pairing with Edvinsson and start him off with more sheltered minutes.
I wonder if Yzerman think that Chiarot signing was a mistake and he will trade him for little return?

Reactions: Realgud

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Really? After the disaster that was Seider Chiarot, they want to try wrecking another big time youngster by playing him with Chiarot? And with Chiarot on his off hand no less? Plus, I thought one of the reasons they kept Simon down this year was they want him in a top 4 role?

Think Chiarot could work on his off-side, because it seemed many times guy positioning himself too far right as a left defenceman. :D

For 9 games after the trade deadline Yes, Not like Grand Rapids is going anywhere this year.

Not sure about that... 23 teams will get to AHL playoffs.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
No solution is perfect.

Top pair with Seider? Toughest matchups, and two very young d-men with eachother.
2nd pair with Hronek, who can be a mess defensively at times?

Who knows, it also depends on whether Määttä sticks around or not.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
No solution is perfect.

Top pair with Seider? Toughest matchups, and two very young d-men with eachother.
2nd pair with Hronek, who can be a mess defensively at times?

Who knows, it also depends on whether Määttä sticks around or not.

Sign Luke Schenn in the off-season and pair him with Ed. Trade Hronek for a 1st, then sign Dumba.

Win win win.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Think Chiarot could work on his off-side, because it seemed many times guy positioning himself too far right as a left defenceman. :D
Funny, I said the same about Hronek and Oesterle. They all seem to think they can use their stick to prevent getting beat on the outside, and the top tier players can just skate through a weak poke check.

Chiarot has played on the right side before, and logged big minutes in Montreal.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago

What's with the loaded language? Who did he wreck? Seider and him didn't play well together and now Seider is playing with playing with a more symbiotic partner and doing fine. He wasn't wrecked. Some players just don't have chemistry.

Reactions: Nut Upstrom

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad