Value of: Silovs offer sheet

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
The Canucks consider him found money for next year. And are aggressively spending to the cap. For teams needing goaltending, is Silovs a offer sheet opportunity ? He could be a good 1B backup with long term starter potential.

1.6 or 1.8 million ?

Or does the honor system kick in and he doesn't get offer sheeted because that's mean and might come back to bite you ? That is the narrative around offer sheets these days.

NotASheep

Feb 23, 2019
The Canucks consider him found money for next year. And are aggressively spending to the cap. For teams needing goaltending, is Silovs a offer sheet opportunity ? He could be a good 1B backup with long term starter potential.

1.6 or 1.8 million ?

Or does the honor system kick in and he doesn't get offer sheeted because that's mean and might come back to bite you ? That is the narrative around offer sheets these days.

those numbers would be matched in a heart beat and would not be worth the time and effort to make up the offer sheet. Now, if you go 7 years at 5 mill a year, that may cause the canucks to not match

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Lmao

Offer sheets so rarely happen, but even if a team was super aggressive with one, why would they target Arturs Silovs of all players to offersheet?

Is it his .898 save% in the NHL or his constant seasons of .908-ish in the AHL that makes teams want to offersheet him?

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Has a goalie ever neen offersheeted?
Those numbers would be matched without hesitation. Cmon
Thats why I am asking. I don't know. Where do you draw the line ? Is 2.5 million easily matchable too ? How could it be ? Van is up against it. So it would be a good move for a team to take a flyer and add goalie depth and upside

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Lmao

Offer sheets so rarely happen, but even if a team was super aggressive with one, why would they target Arturs Silovs of all players to offersheet?

Is it his .898 save% in the NHL or his constant seasons of .908-ish in the AHL that makes teams want to offersheet him?
I should have added, Frank Serivelli brought it up, 10:55 in

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
those numbers would be matched in a heart beat and would not be worth the time and effort to make up the offer sheet. Now, if you go 7 years at 5 mill a year, that may cause the canucks to not match
7 years 5 mill is a mini Depietro deal and is insane.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
The other thing not being accounted for here, is that the player actually has to sign the offer sheet. Silovs is a pretty clear Ian Clark project and i think he's smart enough to realize that a few extra bucks up front, is worth a lot less than a very long, successful career if Clark can help turn him into a bonafide starting NHL netminder.

Reactions: Sergei Shirokov

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
Has a goalie ever neen offersheeted?
Those numbers would be matched without hesitation. Cmon
I'm forgetting the situation exactly, but after the 2010 cup for the Hawks the Sharks offer sheeted one of Hjalmarsson or Niemi, and ended up with Niemi.

EDIT: Looks like Chicago matched on Hjalmarsson and then didn't offer a contract to Niemi, who the Sharks then signed. I guess that doesn't apply to this thread then except in the sense that we used an offer sheet to semi-poach Nemo.

Sergei Shirokov

Jul 27, 2012
British Columbia
I heard Frank bring it up but it seems kind of crazy, he's not even established himself as a reliable NHL backup yet.

A team would have to go to a 2nd round pick level for the Canucks to consider not matching I'd think, in which case they could just offer that & potentially get him on favorable terms.

For what he is (an AHL starter/1B) he played great in the playoffs, was very poised & made some big saves, but ultimately he finished below 900 sv%, I don't think he's a saving grace just yet, I question whether playoff level teams would commit as much money/assets to him as it would take to pry him away from VAN right now.

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
According to Wikipedia, a goalie has to have played 28 NHL games to be eligible for an offer sheet. Arturs Silovs has played 19 games.

You are reading that wrong. Those are conditions that would make a player a UFA not an RFA.
  1. Have played at least 80 NHL games if a forward or defenseman, or 28 NHL games if a goalie (applies only for players who have 3 years of NHL service).
That is referring to the Group VI UFA rule. If a player has been in the NHL for three seasons and not played the requisite number of games they are granted UFA status. Such as what happened to Dakota Joshua when he left STL and joined VAN.

Silovs could be offer sheeted.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
You are reading that wrong. Those are conditions that would make a player a UFA not an RFA.
  1. Have played at least 80 NHL games if a forward or defenseman, or 28 NHL games if a goalie (applies only for players who have 3 years of NHL service).
That is referring to the Group VI UFA rule. If a player has been in the NHL for three seasons and not played the requisite number of games they are granted UFA status. Such as what happened to Dakota Joshua when he left STL and joined VAN.

Pretty sure I'm reading it right. Similar wording, but different key words. Ex. "Played at least..." Vs "played less than";

Arturs Silovs does not meet certain conditions in either case b/c of his age in one & games played in the other. I think he has to play in one more season as well, since he's only played in two.

Last edited:

StickShift

In a pickle 🥒
Feb 29, 2004
New York
Pretty sure I'm reading it right. Similar wording, but different key words. Ex. "Played at least..." Vs "played less than";

Arturs Silovs does not meet certain conditions in either case b/c of his age in one & games played in the other. I think he has to play in one more season as well, since he's only played in two.
Nope. You are still incorrect. Look at the very last sentence after point #5 on your page:

Currently to be tendered an offer sheet, a player must:
  1. Have at least one NHL contract expire.
  2. Have played at least 80 NHL games if a forward or defenseman, or 28 NHL games if a goalie (applies only for players who have 3 years of NHL service).
  3. Be younger than 27 on July 1 of that year.
  4. Be without a contract for the upcoming season.
  5. Be tendered a qualifying offer by the current team by June 25 or the Monday after that year's NHL Entry Draft (whichever is later)
If any of those conditions has not been met, the player becomes an "unrestricted free agent" and cannot receive an offer sheet.

gianni

Apr 8, 2014
Nope. You are still incorrect. Look at the very last sentence after point #5 on your page:

Currently to be tendered an offer sheet, a player must:
  1. Have at least one NHL contract expire.
  2. Have played at least 80 NHL games if a forward or defenseman, or 28 NHL games if a goalie (applies only for players who have 3 years of NHL service).
  3. Be younger than 27 on July 1 of that year.
  4. Be without a contract for the upcoming season.
  5. Be tendered a qualifying offer by the current team by June 25 or the Monday after that year's NHL Entry Draft (whichever is later)
If any of those conditions has not been met, the player becomes an "unrestricted free agent" and cannot receive an offer sheet.

To get an offer sheet, all 5 things must occur:
-He hasn't played 28 games.

He will not become a UFA as long as the Canucks qualify him.

Also, that Puckpedia link is irrelevant to Arturs Silovs. Those are rules for a RFA to become a UFA, which he doesn't meet the age, or seasons played conditions.

Last edited:

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA

group 6 you must be 25+ and not mert the NHL G count.

IIRC With G it had to be I think 50%+ of game time to count as a game played. Sitting on bench doesnt count, going in for 20 minutes at end of game doesnt count

His full 4 yr ELC is ending do he can get offer sherted provided a QO is made ( otherwise a UFA)

If he only played a short season like a few games post NCAA that he signed an ELC from then he cant get OS like Power would have been this summer if not signed last summer. With the caveat of not playing in playoffs that first yr.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad