Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
What are his negatives?
(Caveat I haven’t looked at Buium in detail at all. He just didn’t interest me as a potential Habs pick. Others have looked at him more closely)

It’s not negatives but externalities:
The Habs needs: W and C and RD
The Habs need: Size on the backend (because of Hutson)
Buium is: an LD
Buium is: average height
Buium is: not particularly notable defensively

We have Hutson already, he’s already on the team or right on the verge. Buium’s upside is fantastic (h/t Jaynki) but his overall profile takes a hit due to the above points AND other prospects available around 5OA have very good upside too so it’s kind of a big stretch to consider him at 5 when/if Silayev, Lindstrom, Levshunov, and Demidov could be present.

Or someone off the board: Helenius, Parekh, Catton, etc

It’s almost entirely a product of being 5. If we were 6 or 7 Buium would make more sense to consider.

Reactions: Jaynki and mdk

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
I have a hard time believing that any team would pass on a player simply based on nationality? Attitude, skill set, IQ sure but nationality no. If another Ovi is out there you can’t believe an org is going to pass. Hell we’ve picked a player who had a criminal record & asked us not to pick him? NHL teams are thorough when assessing these kids, the days of blind ignorance (I hope) are gone!
Cheers
That’s the whole point saying “Russian / KHL factor” protects teams from saying Michkov is a cherry picker

Why they would do that? Hockey is a business, politics are not invloved.
Or maybe it's the KHL and the way they operate.
Would you prefer Habs had stated publicly Michkov doesn’t understand how to play the game of hockey, because cherry picking is not how NHL playoff hockey is played

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
(Caveat I haven’t looked at Buium in detail at all. He just didn’t interest me as a potential Habs pick. Others have looked at him more closely)

We have Hutson already, he’s already on the team or right on the verge. Buium’s upside is fantastic (h/t Jaynki) but his overall profile takes a hit due to the above points AND other prospects available around 5OA have very good upside too so it’s kind of a big stretch to consider him at 5 when/if Silayev, Lindstrom, Levshunov, and Demidov could be present.

It’s almost entirely a product of being 5. If we were 6 or 7 Buium would make more sense to consider.
Sorry but no. Buium would be an excellent pick, and he’s still growing. The issue is it would require a trade for a F to make sense.

BaseballCoach

Dec 15, 2006

Buium is miles better than Hutson defensively, played 30 minutes per game in the NCAA tournament.

My takes:

Silayev = Hal Gill but faster

Lindstrom = Josh Anderson qualities, Kreider lite

Levshunov = above Barron but below Reinbacher

Parekh = Chris Wideman

Helenius = Eller

The ones I like most are Demidov and Catton, Pretty sure we get one of those two at 5.

Would love to find a way to add Eiserman.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
Caveat I haven’t looked at Buium in detail at all. He just didn’t interest me as a potential Habs pick.
Says the above, but then immediately makes a definitive (and incorrect) statement about him 😂:
Lmao, you really didn’t learn your lesson at all with the whole Slafkovsky thing, did you? Just back at it again 🤣

Reactions: Shutdown

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
That’s the whole point saying “Russian / KHL factor” protects teams from saying Michkov is a cherry picker

Would you prefer Habs had stated publicly Michkov doesn’t understand how to play the game of hockey, because cherry picking is not how NHL playoff hockey is played
Now I get your point. No organisation will openly say something like this and we don't have to argue about that, that's the abc or public relation. That being said, some folks will argue the cherry picking playing hockey style is very normal. A player will learn (late) nhl play very easy, yeah, yeah, right !

Team_Spirit

95% Elliotte
Jul 3, 2002
Iginla was 6 weeks away from being ineligible for this draft. Being this young and still 6'0 190 already tells me he could be 200+ by the time he hits 19-20.
His potential is intriguing.

The last thing you see when the puck is dumped on your side

1000005082.jpg

Reactions: bopeep and Tyson

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
They played more one goal games than any other team. They are already competing by any objective standard. There's no switch that you can flick that allows your defence to have the mobility to become an offensive threat. Ask the Oilers. Saddled with an overall immobile defence, they were forechecked to death by the Panthers. Their defence's inability to avoid the first forechecker and gain the time and space to either skate or pass the puck out of their defensive zone was one of the leading contributors to the Oilers' defeat.
Well if we weren't one of the worst teams in the league for giving up breakaways and odd man rushes I'd be surprised.
It's the cutting down on those errors that will help our team change the outcome of some of those one goal games.
We are very far from being an offensive juggernaut so cutting down on GA is not an option it's a necessity.
So sure we were trying to be competitive but there were absolutely no expectations in terms of pushing for the playoffs.

At one point our Dmen will have to become accountable for their decision making and our coaching staff will have to enforce it.
Which is all I was really referring to. All our very best games had our Dmen playing solid defence first.

BJCOLLINS

Jul 7, 2003
Pirate Satellite
Maybe some were, but Zadina was the clear cut BPA according to this board. Tkachuk was the preferred choice of only a very few posters on here.

I hear ya, consensus on this board. My point was more about personally, as a fan, who watched him live some 45-60 gms…..he didn’t have what it takes to be top 10. I was wrong he went I think #6 to the wings. Same as Drouin (watched him probably 150-175 gms live), didn’t think with his attitude & lack physicality he would be top 10. I was way off.
Cheers.

Reactions: bcv

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
Maybe some were, but Zadina was the clear cut BPA according to this board. Tkachuk was the preferred choice of only a very few posters on here.

Its wild that Boqvist got 8 votes and Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson got 0. We don't know shit about D.

• Haha
Reactions: BLONG7

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Why they would do that? Hockey is a business, politics are not invloved.
Or maybe it's the KHL and the way they operate.
It's the habs................politics are a daily thing..................french, english, and throw in idiots from both medias and boom.........you have yourself a ton of debate on just that, politics.
Hate to say it, but it's sad and true.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Its wild that Boqvist got 8 votes and Hughes, Bouchard and Dobson got 0. We don't know shit about D.
And don't forget how this happens each and every single year.
We wont mention the Slaf draft............that did not morph well for some!
lol

All jokes aside, the pros who are paid to watch hockey, can get it wrong as much as we can here on a message board.
Looking into the future, of an 18 year olds eyes, to predict how he will react and grow as a human being when you add fame, and fortune, is a tough one.

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
It's the habs................politics are a daily thing..................french, english, and throw in idiots from both medias and boom.........you have yourself a ton of debate on just that, politics.
Hate to say it, but it's sad and true.
Don't pay attention too much on those idiots. They exist elsewhere, the language issue have nothing to do with idioty. Most north americans are among the most ignorant people in the world, nothing to do with europeans. Some europeans are fluent in 5 language and here we complain about 2 languages. Qc province have the lowest crime rate in Canada. The numbers of murders in Manitoba is higher than in Qc and Qc have 3 times more residents. As long as you don't give fuel to their toxic debates. You could be surprised by the number of earthflat people and the number of people who beleive anything that sounds hot on youtube. Sometimes I can see which country is behind some propaganda and misinformation.

Reactions: 1909

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
Says the above, but then immediately makes a definitive (and incorrect) statement about him 😂:

Lmao, you really didn’t learn your lesson at all with the whole Slafkovsky thing, did you? Just back at it again 🤣
I didn’t make any definitive statement and synthesized from scouting reports. He’s not known for his defensive game. He’s a LD. He’s not notably athletic or has a large frame.

These are not my opinions.

We’re speculating about the Habs’ pick not about the players themselves. We’re trying to figure out how it’ll shake out and what the Habs will do.

Hope this helped.

Garbageyuk

Dec 19, 2016
I didn’t make any definitive statement and synthesized from scouting reports. He’s not known for his defensive game. He’s a LD. He’s not notably athletic or has a large frame.

These are not my opinions.
He’s not known to you for his defensive game because you haven’t watched him. You admitted it yourself.

He was absolutely fantastic defensively in the NCAA tournament, especially in the semifinal and championship games, where he played 30+ minutes a game and rendered all of Celebrini, Hutson, Smith, Gauthier, Leonard, and Perreault completely ineffective and neutralized en route to the championship. They were all held off the scoresheet entirely.

His standout defensive game is specifically mentioned in McKenzie’s latest rankings yesterday.

Stop embarrassing yourself.

ReHabs

Sponsor
Jan 18, 2022
His standout defensive game is specifically mentioned in McKenzie’s latest rankings yesterday.

Stop embarrassing yourself.
You refer to this?

No. 6 Buium is a solid 6-footer, and all the American did was win in the last 13 months — the 2023 U-18 World Championship; the 2024 World Junior Championship; and the 2024 NCAA Frozen Four title.

“He controls the game with his skating and offensive ability,” a scout said. “He doesn’t just walk the offensive blueline, he dives right in and creates offence. He’s going to be on your No. 1 power play.”

“I started the year thinking he was a one-dimensional offensive guy,” said another scout, “but as the year progressed, so did his defensive game. He’s a capable defender and he’s only going to get better.”

“This is a mature kid,” added a third scout. “He has a real pro mentality.”

Yeah, that's a ringing endorsement of his defensive game over Dickinson, Silayev, and Levshunov alright. You nailed it.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Don't pay attention too much on those idiots. They exist elsewhere, the language issue have nothing to do with idioty. Most north americans are among the most ignorant people in the world, nothing to do with europeans. Some europeans are fluent in 5 language and here we complain about 2 languages. Qc province have the lowest crime rate in Canada. The numbers of murders in Manitoba is higher than in Qc and Qc have 3 times more residents. As long as you don't give fuel to their toxic debates. You could be surprised by the number of earthflat people and the number of people who beleive anything that sounds hot on youtube. Sometimes I can see which country is behind some propaganda and misinformation.
I come to this site to escape these types of conversations.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad