• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.

Genghis Keon

Apr 1, 2002
Visit site
Fans get new (to us) incomplete (to us) information and speculation runs rampant.

You would hope teams' medical teams with actual medical reports would be better able and better placed to determine risk than fans (with medical backgrounds or not) relying on a two word diagnosis.

That's not to say fans can't end up being right, just that we obviously have less expertise and information. If fans using WebMD and incomplete information can routinely out diagnose teams' medical staffs with more information, why even rely on medical teams?
That said, maybe teams are very concerned and are being tight lipped because they want some other team to draft Lindstrom early and push other players down.

For myself, if he's available and the Habs actually pick him at 5, I can only trust that the medical staff gave management a thorough briefing on Lindstrom's medical risks (whatever they determined those risks to be), and management weighed those risks against their scouting team's opinion and found Lindstrom to be the right pick. I think we can disagree with the scouts because we can watch Lindstrom play and see the stats and all that, but, with the info we have, I don't think we can legitimately/accurately speculate on Lindstrom's medical prognosis.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Find it strange that this herniated disc thing comes out and everyone's panicking, but at the combine it was reported his injuries weren't a concern for anyone (GMs) going forward, and he was moving up the draft board as a result.

Something doesn't compute. This information was surely available at the time so..... what gives?

Perhaps the message board doctors are overreacting and are more worried than they should be?
When it comes to injuries, fans are stupid. No need to sugar coat it.

I would love to see Lindy picked at #5 but sadly I think he's going earlier. Given the makeup of his game, it's not surprising. We'll get a good one at that spot no matter what and away we go.

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Fans get new (to us) incomplete (to us) information and speculation runs rampant.

You would hope teams' medical teams with actual medical reports would be better able and better placed to determine risk than fans (with medical backgrounds or not) relying on a two word diagnosis.

That's not to say fans can't end up being right, just that we obviously have less expertise and information. If fans using WebMD and incomplete information can routinely out diagnose teams' medical staffs with more information, why even rely on medical teams?
Huh? I thought everyone was an MD here...

giphy.gif

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
As long as one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, or Sennecke are there, I'm happy with who the Canadiens take

I trust that the medical experts will properly evaluate Lindstrom and demidov and come to the correct conclusions

Last edited:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
As long as one of Demidov, Lindstrom, Iginla, or Sennecke are there, I'm happy with who the Canadiens take

I trust that the medical experts will probably evaluate Lindstrom and demidov and come to the correct conclusions
As much as I like some of the D prospects the Habs really need some top 6 young forwards in the pipeline.

HuGo Burner Acc

Mar 30, 2016
As much as I like some of the D prospects the Habs really need some top 6 young forwards in the pipeline.

Ya the Habs are in a position to potentially trade one of their top young D (not that I would). If at 5-10, BPA is irrelevant because they're all the same tier, you go for position and if that's the case, you pick the player with the highest upside while still having a top 6 floor

Last edited:
Reactions: NewDef and Tyson

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
hmm i dont know if i would think of this situation as starting up a media club (although.. who wouldnt want to play with their best friends?).

I see it more as media trying to find reasons why a player would want to come to Mtl. A lot of fans talk about Mtl having taxes, being a stressful city to play in and a cold one as being reasons for players not to come, so an article about a talented player having a reason to come in will sell like hot cakes. An example that comes to mind is Stamkos, back when Subban was still with the Habs; apparently thsoe two were buds.

It'd just be funny to me if one was traded to get the other :D
In the past 2 finland players came to mtl probably to please Saku (???), go figure, we traded Scott Thornton for Juha Lind. An huge nothing in return of ST. Then 4 years later Ribeiro was traded for Ninimaa, ... or his name was ... Anonyma, go figure again. I have those two in memory.

We can acquire players despite some negative stuff about the city or the north location. At least we're about the safest place in nhl locations and we have a strong fanbase, it's an hockey city in case they don't know. A hockey player in love with his game or a 100% minded hockey player can find his niche here. If we want to compare cities to live, yes there are better places. Southern usa locations are nice. But other locations are dump cities and borderline dangerous to live.

And we have good restaurants and a night life.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I saw some lists, a ranking based on talent or mix of skills. Can we make a list based with the most 'hard nose player', ranking on dirty areas, who's the boss in those areas, in quebecois le joueur qui a le plus de chien. I think Linstrom and few defenseman comes first, followed by Iginla, etc.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Alright, I'm ping-ponging but I did peek at Catton...and I kinda like him over Iginla...Well, if we weren't so starved in pure offensive skill I may like Iginla but since we are...Catton...With the assumption that he can get bigger and stronger as well as faster. If management deems he's always going to be as small as he is (especially considering he isn't "that" short) then go Iginla. As for Lindstrom, I don't know...big boy, will do well but, I'm so starved for pure offensive ability...
Catton is already an awesome skater. He will never be a bruiser, but ppl talk like it’s another small guy like caufield, ridiculous.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Catton is already an awesome skater. He will never be a bruiser, but ppl talk like it’s another small guy like caufield, ridiculous.
The league has gone so much in the way of size, especially in the playoffs. Look at Florida and Vegas.

I grew up when the playoff stars were Gretzky, Gilmour, Mats Naslund, Pavel Bure, Yzerman, Larionov, Hull, Kirk Muller, Mike Bossy. Even Wendell Clarke was 5'11.

It's a different league now and different types of players are more valuable. Unfortunately.

Last edited:
Reactions: NewDef

Zilo44

Jul 4, 2012
The league has gone so much in the way of size, especially in the playoffs. Look at Florida and Vegas.

I grew up when the playoff stars were Gretzky, Gilmour, Mats Naslund, Pavel Bure, Yzerman, Larionov, Hull, Kirk Muller, Mike Bossy. Even Wendell Clarke was 5'11.

It's a different league now and different types of players are more valuable. Unfortunately.
I don’t know about that. It’s more of a cycle.

Anaheim won the cup with a big team. People copied that.

Then you had Detroit and Pittsburgh with skills. People copy that.

Then Boston wins one playing heavy.

You then have the Chicago dynasty which was not that physically intimidating followed by the old school Kings.

Then two speedy Pittsburgh teams.

St. louis was heavy.

Tampa was skilled.

Vegas was heavy.

I think you can win with both styles.

Last edited:

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

The smaller guys who make it now, have to be ultra skilled and make sure they are the smartest guys on the ice, to make sure they don't get crushed.
Perfect world, you have a few bruisers who can skate and score to compliment the Suxuki's and Caufield's etc...a few Dmen who are big enough and a few Dmen who are skilled. No doubt about it, the correct formula is a tough nut to crack..........................and a coach like Paul Maurice would do wonders too!!

The game still operates on skill and skating, but in the playoffs, the officials seem to change the rules and put the whistles away. Larger bodies are needed, to survive the 2 month tournament.

SlafySZN

May 21, 2022
I saw some lists, a ranking based on talent or mix of skills. Can we make a list based with the most 'hard nose player', ranking on dirty areas, who's the boss in those areas, in quebecois le joueur qui a le plus de chien. I think Linstrom and few defenseman comes first, followed by Iginla, etc.
If we only talk about a ‘’hard nose player’’ yes Lindstrom is in this category but not taking rankings into account guys like Brandsegg-Nygard or Surin are exactly that.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans

I don’t believe, and I stress believe, Catton becomes any of these players.

If you are slight in size, your skill level needs to be elite or more then likely you’ll just become another player who has little effect in the playoff trenches.

ZUKI

I hate the haters...
Oct 23, 2003
montreal
The dinners mean the habs have questions. It’s not that they want or don’t want the player, it’s that they want to know more. They talked to Wright and went Slaf.

I’m sure there are other players they spoke to that rhey took.
i think that it's also a way to play in the head of other teams scouting crowd

Reactions: dcyhabs

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
i think that it's also a way to play in the head of other teams scouting crowd
I saw a short video on ytube : a scout for the preds, he and they interviewed about 45 players in 5 days, like speed dating 15 minutes each.

Lol, he guessed players had the advice to have a strong and good shakehands when they met the scouts, lol, some of them almost destroyed scouts hands cuz they're built strong.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
If we only talk about a ‘’hard nose player’’ yes Lindstrom is in this category but not taking rankings into account guys like Brandsegg-Nygard or Surin are exactly that.
Ranking those type of players from the actual list of 1 to 45. Let's say round one and a bit or round two. Brandsegg-Nygard or Surin looks reachable. It's good to planify to draft future Gainey, Carbonneau, Yvon Lambert, Risebrought and McPhee, 3rd and 4th liners are somehow important. We have already Tuch and lil bro Xhekaj in the system. Look at Bennet this year in PO.

Reactions: Tyson

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
Caufield is thick, Catton is not. I actually prefer Caufield’s “profile” for the playoffs.

Nah, Catton enters the middle of the ice at will and will create all sorts of chances in the tough areas. He's not a perimeter player.

I've seen the comparison between both players many times on this board and Catton is further along than Caufield from an offensive game standpoint, the main difference being Caufield's shot being out of this world when he's 100%. You will never see Catton just hanging right along the boards, just waiting for the right pass in order to get his shot off. Catton will skate the puck into danger and then either pass or shoot.

Catton is a complete player offensively speaking.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Ranking those type of players from the actual list of 1 to 45. Let's say round one and a bit or round two. Brandsegg-Nygard or Surin looks reachable. It's good to planify to draft future Gainey, Carbonneau, Yvon Lambert, Risebrought and McPhee, 3rd and 4th liners are somehow important. We have already Tuch and lil bro Xhekaj in the system. Look at Bennet this year in PO.
True contenders can roll 4 lines for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad