Silayev, Lindstrom, Catton, Iginla, Parekh, Eiserman

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Habs pick

• Silayev

• Lindstrom

• Catton

• Iginla

• Parekh

• Eiserman

• other (who?)

Results are only viewable after voting.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deebs

Life is an illusion
Feb 5, 2014
In that range of pick you HAVE to go for the BPA, notwithstanding position.

And IMHO, if Demidov/Lindstrom are gone at 5, Buium would have to be the one.

As he's a player that's one grade or two ahead of the Iginla/Sennecke of this world.

At the end of the day, yes Habs have tons of LHD, but none are in Buium category.

P.S.: this is my opinion based on my full games viewings of +/- the top 15 of this year's draft. I don't pretend detaining the absolute truth...
In regards to this scenario, I have a quick question. If Demidov, Lindstrom and Celebrini went in the top 4, who's the other player that got snagged? I need to make sure I know who's all available before I make my pick at 5

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
Yeah but who trusts that moustached soy boy's scouting? I wouldn't buy something from him off of facebook marketplace, nevermind take his scouting advice.
No one other than soy boys on this forum have Sennecke in the top 5.

It’s pre-draft copium. He’s a 10-15 talent. Full stop.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
In regards to this scenario, I have a quick question. If Demidov, Lindstrom and Celebrini went in the top 4, who's the other player that got snagged? I need to make sure I know who's all available before I make my pick at 5
It’ll for sure be a D, one of Levshunov, Buium or Silayev, I would think.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014

Most people have Levshunov picked by Chicago. I don't get what people see in him but yeah.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

Look, I'm no Nostradamus but according to the information that I actually have (I'm just a fan who likes to gather as much information about the draft that he can) and the opinion that I forged based on it, it would be Levshunov.

In my mind Anaheim and Chicago are after the two same players: Levshunov and Demidov. So both are gonna be gone at 4.

And there's a good chance Columbus will draft Lindstrom.

But you know, surprises at the draft are more the rule than the exception.

So this is kind of an educated guess, nothing more.

Reactions: Deebs

Paddy17

Apr 10, 2021
The way I see it, without being privy to insider knowledge or medical records, is that Iginla is the safest bet to draft a top 6 player. Not the most talented, strongest or biggest. Just a good player with a great shot, intensity, professional mentality and work ethic. You can question his ceiling, but he's also one of the youngest in the draft and the next 6 months could see a massive leap in development, just like Sennecke in the second half of the season (although his was understable with adjustments to his growth spurt).

Demidov has the highest ceiling, and he has to be the pick at 5 if available

Lindstrom and Sennecke have high ceilings, but they come with higher risks as well. I agree with a poster saying that Sennecke always does the same deke, although that's just highlight packages... I admit to not seeing full games of his.

So it boils down to what the consensus will be at the Habs final draft meeting. Will they take the safe approach, or swing for the fences? If Demidov is gone, the safe pick would be Iginla. The obvious choice is Lindstrom if he's there at 5. If not, will they go for Sennecke if they feel development will make the question marks go away?

Aside from Demidov, my head tells me Lindstrom, but my gut still tells me Iginla. For me, he has that "it" factor.

That being said, I would be happy if we draft any of them.

Skip Bayless

The Skip Bayless Show
Aug 28, 2014
GIVE ME SENNECKE OR GIVE ME DEATH.
giphy.gif

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Sponsor
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
The way I see it, without being privy to insider knowledge or medical records, is that Iginla is the safest bet to draft a top 6 player. Not the most talented, strongest or biggest. Just a good player with a great shot, intensity, professional mentality and work ethic. You can question his ceiling, but he's also one of the youngest in the draft and the next 6 months could see a massive leap in development, just like Sennecke in the second half of the season (although his was understable with adjustments to his growth spurt).

Lindstrom and Sennecke have high ceilings, but they come with higher risks as well. I agree with a poster saying that Sennecke always does the same deke, although that's just highlight packages... I admit to not seeing full games of his.

So it boils down to what the consensus will be at the Habs final draft meeting. Will they take the safe approach, or swing for the fences? If Demidov is gone, the safe pick with Iginla. The obvious choice is Lindstrom if he's there at 5. If not, will they go for Sennecke if they feel development will make the question marks go away?

Aside from Demidov, my head tells me Lindstrom, but my gut still tells me Iginla. For me, he has that "it" factor.

My 4 horses are Demidov, Iginla, Buium and Dickinson.

I feel outside of Celebrini they are the best players available in the top 10 group.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I'm still on the Iggy/Buium train.
The fact that the Iggy chatter has died somewhat means exactly nothing.

They both check the most boxes for me and the ones they don't check are fixable.
Buium's IQ playmaking and execution are as underrated his skating is by some.
Iggy will score goals plain and simple he'll be a great board player and a determined competitor.
A guy you can trust to keep plays alive in the Ozone while being strong along the boards and responsible in the Dzone.

Both these guys are Team Players and Winners and have most if not all of the attributes our management seems to prefer.
There may be players with a higher skill quotient but they aren't as well rounded. We are building a team not trying to win a popularity contest.
None of the players available at 5 will be superstars there are perhaps 2 in this draft and they'll likely be gone.

The Last Red

Jan 2, 2022
So it boils down to what the consensus will be at the Habs final draft meeting.
HuGo (primarily Go) can do whatever they want to, there doesn't need to be any consensus. Bob Gainey drafted Price against the advice of Timmins and Andre Savard. It’s good to be the king.

Last edited:
Reactions: salbutera

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013

So it boils down to what the consensus will be at the Habs final draft meeting. Will they take the safe approach, or swing for the fences? If Demidov is gone, the safe pick would be Iginla. The obvious choice is Lindstrom if he's there at 5. If not, will they go for Sennecke if they feel development will make the question marks go away?

"If" it goes down to drafting a top 6 forward or nothing, let's say with Demidov/Lindstrom already gone at Habs pick, me too it would be Iginla.

Personally, I don't embark into Sennecke's train wagon.

I've watched a few games more of him, because I was wondering if I missed something before, and there was such a buzz around him, but never I was impressed.

Yes he makes spectacular plays, but where is his consistency?

I mean, in terms of effort deployed, in terms of concentration to details, in terms of playing 200' hockey, it's very, very inconsistent. He's very raw and immature.

And I haven't seen him transport the puck with fluidity. He's good passed the opposing blue line but when it comes to skate with the puck to bring it there, he seems to slow down too much with it.

And even his highlight plays, that amaze so much people and make them think that this player have such a high ceiling, aren't that much translatable to the NHL, IMHO.

Pure junior stuff.

Dipsy doodling between opposing defenders skates is cute, but as far as I'm concerned, he's too tall and lanky, and far from being fast enough, for those kind of plays to succeed in the NHL for him.

Plus if he tries to do that regularly in the NHL, he's gonna pay the price big time. Good luck with his head health.

He's no Patrick Kane...

It reminds me of the Mathias Norlinder case, where Sweden biggest pom pom girl, Brexel, was selling him like he was the second coming of Lidstrom/Hedman all wrapped in the same player ..

The guy was dipsy doodling around in the Allsvenskan and everybody was in awe because of it.

But anybody that analysed it one bit knew that he wasn't fast enough nor strong enough to duplicate it in higher levels, notwithstanding in the NHL...

For me, Iginla plays a kind of game that translate a lot more to the NHL.

Add his natural athleticism, strength, bloodline and basic skills (shot, skating, etc..) and you have more or less a 30ish goals 20ish passes mini power forward (let's say as a medium range expectations).

He's the typical guy that you love to have comes the playoffs.

He's a natural for playoff hockey = straight to the point and powerful. Not flashy but efficient.

Sennecke, for me, is a project that have too much uncertainties to put a 5th overall on him.

It's all about projections with him. Very high risk high reward kind of pick in the top 5.

IMHO, probability of him reaching up what some see in him is not high enough to pick him that early.

But the jury is out for him, he's a very polarizing prospect, some love him and others don't.

P.S.: everything that I said is my opinion only, sure I could be very very wrong. And it won't be the first time nor the last...

And I can live with that😁

Last edited:

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I'm still on the Iggy/Buium train.
The fact that the Iggy chatter has died somewhat means exactly nothing.

They both check the most boxes for me and the ones they don't check are fixable.
Buium's IQ playmaking and execution are as underrated his skating is by some.
Iggy will score goals plain and simple he'll be a great board player and a determined competitor.
A guy you can trust to keep plays alive in the Ozone while being strong along the boards and responsible in the Dzone.

Both these guys are Team Players and Winners and have most if not all of the attributes our management seems to prefer.
There may be players with a higher skill quotient but they aren't as well rounded. We are building a team not trying to win a popularity contest.
None of the players available at 5 will be superstars there are perhaps 2 in this draft and they'll likely be gone.

I concur.

Good NA boys, and no weird injury history like Lindstrom.

I want Buium as my first choice, tbh.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
No one other than soy boys on this forum have Sennecke in the top 5.

It’s pre-draft copium. He’s a 10-15 talent. Full stop

I agree, but I wonder in 5 years if they look back and he's the steal. Always fun to see how it plays out.

I concur.

Good NA boys, and no weird injury history like Lindstrom.

I want Buium as my first choice, tbh.

Why not trade Winnipeg's pick, and maatheson for another high 1st? Plausible?

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I agree, but I wonder in 5 years if they look back and he's the steal. Always fun to see how it plays out.

Why not trade Winnipeg's pick, and maatheson for another high 1st? Plausible?
That would actually fly in the face of everything we heard at the post season press conference.
Hughes isn't made that way people need to take him at his word when it has to do with intent and vision.

Reactions: jaffy27 and Habs

Jul 6, 2016
I would be very happy with any of them: Lindstrom, Demidov, Iginla

I would feel ok with any of: Dickinson, Catton, Senecke, Leshunov, Eiserman

I would not be too happy with: Buium, Parekh, Helenius, Silayev

At #26: Boisvert, Basha, Beaudoin, Luchanko are fine picks

Unless they decide to trade that #26.

Reactions: GrandmaCookie

V13

Fire Sell Tank
Sep 21, 2005
M1 Habsram
There is a part of me that almost want to draft Dickinson for the sole reason that i'd be able to get myself a custom Iron Maiden Habs jersey. Base template would be the same except instead of the Habs logo in front it would be Eddy and with Dickinson name on back.

I know i know I'm going too far with this lol

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad