Speculation: Signing Knies

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
Tk
Tkachuk is one of the most overrated players in the game just because he fights and hits.

Stutzle is still not worth his contract although I think he will be.

I agree with everything else... was just illustrating it isn't a surefire way to get value contracts, it backfires as well.

Most of the guys you listed outside of Hughes have at best, been worth their contract, not sure anyone has exceeded it yet.
Tkachuk has been right around ppg the last 2 seasons.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'd be all in favor of locking him in for 6-8 years at 5-6ish mil. he's been my favorite prospect since Matthews was drafted by far

Ultimately takes both sides to agree, and we have zero idea which the Leafs have even tried or if the agent would be receptive though .
He’s a really solid player. I don’t see the benefit to him of signing now, unless they blow him away with an offer.

Locks a guy in during a period of rising cap

Reactions: Nineteen67

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I'd be all in favor of locking him in for 6-8 years at 5-6ish mil. he's been my favorite prospect since Matthews was drafted by far

Ultimately takes both sides to agree, and we have zero idea which the Leafs have even tried or if the agent would be receptive though .

He’s a good one, for sure. I hope he’s interested in a long term deal.

Reactions: Menzinger

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Tk

Tkachuk has been right around ppg the last 2 seasons.

His best year was with Giroux and Stutzle, this year he took a step back playing with lesser players.

I just don't think he is a line-driving player, I think he needs other players on his line to do well...

He has the same PPG as Tavares over the last three years by the way.

Screenshot 2024-08-08 at 7.05.20 PM.png

That's where he lands in PPG last year... I just think he is overrated, that's all.

I still think he is a really good player, he just gets hyped up to be better than he is because of how he plays.

Reactions: bax

PROUD PAPA

Sep 20, 2021
Interesting thing to say.

What makes you say this? Genuinely asking.

It would be nice to have more genuinely likeable guys on this team. Feels like Cowan will be another one.

Cheers.
As with all of them, their play is the main factor that determines how i feel about them. Though he does benefit from a good attitude and eagerness to learn either from the coaching staff or interacting with other players. That isn't uncommon for young players but i notice with Knies he's conversing with those advising him rather than just listening and giving a nod once they've said their piece. He's making sure he understands.
His play, both effort and style wise is what puts him on top of the Leafs heap for me though. He never takes a game off, plays the physical type of game that pisses opponents off, gets into the tough area and holds his own, stands up for his teammates and doesn't take a ton of stupid or retaliatory penalties. I see some people suggesting his ceiling is in the 60 points range but I can absolutely see PPG potential. Plus I think he's one of the guys that will thrive under Berube.
He still has a lot to learn of course but his enthusiasm towards learning should help him reach his potential in a timely manner.

Reactions: LeafSteel

Tie Domi Esquire

Go Real Sports Apparel Go!
Oct 18, 2010
Unless he gets a nice deal to get him directly to UFA, Knies should wait until the last moment to sign. No need to sign with this team for anything less than top dollar.

Funk21

Mar 6, 2013
Toronto
We didn’t know ahead of time with Woll.
Who would you say Treliving ‘lost two or three times already’ with?
Dubas not Tre, but as an organization we screwed the pooch IMO with Nylander, AM and Marner. Marner took us to task and we caved poorly. That deal was terrible from the hop.

acrobaticgoalie

Jun 18, 2014
His best year was with Giroux and Stutzle, this year he took a step back playing with lesser players.

I just don't think he is a line-driving player, I think he needs other players on his line to do well...

He has the same PPG as Tavares over the last three years by the way.

View attachment 899886

That's where he lands in PPG last year... I just think he is overrated, that's all.

I still think he is a really good player, he just gets hyped up to be better than he is because of how he plays.
He doesn't need to be a line driver necessarily though. He's an old school type player that puts up 70-80 pts that is physical, tough to play against and tands up for team mates. The entire league would love to have a player like him riding shotgun.

He is a Gary Roberts Type of player and if he was playing on a line with Matthews and Marner, he is probably putting up 90+ pts.

Reactions: bax and ACC1224

Gilmour1996

Oct 16, 2022
Top dollar as per the example Matthews, Marner, Tavares and Nylander have set. Individual goals >>>team goals.

Last edited:
Reactions: ToneDog

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Dubas not Tre, but as an organization we screwed the pooch IMO with Nylander, AM and Marner. Marner took us to task and we caved poorly. That deal was terrible from the hop.
Dubas is gone.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Cannot sign him with Mitchy and JT being paid. If they put his name on a contract for next season by October I think that means a decision on one of those 2 has been made.

Avilaj07

Feb 6, 2016
Offer him 6yrs x 4.75 million. Overpay for the first 2 years and hopefully it's a steal the last 4 years.

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
That's the advantage for the team. What's the advantage for Knies? Why would he sign now instead of wait?
Guaranteed money. 25-30 million dollars, generational wealth, regardless of something unforeseen, injury, etc. Lock it in.

Or gamble on something better next year, that's the choice right? I don't think it's as easy as just saying I'll wait and get better money later. I'd have to think long and hard, I think, about that decision.

Reactions: Pinkcat

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

It worked out well last time we thought the cap was rising, let's do it again!

• Haha
Reactions: OddyOh

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
That's the advantage for the team. What's the advantage for Knies? Why would he sign now instead of wait?

The team gets cost certainty and likely keeps that salary aav lower than what it will be once the guy has arbitration rights, especially as his development continues.

I think pushing short term contracts on RFAs runs the risk of souring the relationship long term, and I'm a big believer in Knies so I think there's minimal risk

From Kniee' pov, it locks him in to 30-50 million guaranteed money before he hits 22. He and his extended family are set for life at the stroke of a pen

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
The team From Kniee' pov, it locks him in to 30-50 million guaranteed money before he hits 22. He and his extended family are set for life at the stroke of a pen

I guess it makes sense if they offer that much money… but then it doesn’t really make sense for the team.

After 1 season of 15 goals and 35 points, we’re going to “keep his cap low” at around 6 million? How many point would he have to score to be worth more than that? 25+ goals and 60 points? Thats almost double last year.

For this team, as constructed now, it makes a lot more sense to keep his cost down as much as possible for the duration of Matthews’ contract. After that, it’s time for an organization all reevaluation anyway.

Reactions: egd27

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Guaranteed money. 25-30 million dollars, generational wealth, regardless of something unforeseen, injury, etc. Lock it in.

This seems to be ignored.

A reasonable amount before he can hit a homerun as UFA.

If he's been slightly underpaid, he can easily make up for it as UFA.
If he hasn't earned it it's already in the bank.

1723342637781.png

WillyC

Sep 7, 2018
he’s likely going to play on Matthews wing… waiting until after this season probably gets him an extra 1-2 million on a 5-6 year deal.

Leafs have probably already tried to low ball him on a bridge deal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad