Confirmed with Link: Signed: Vladislav Namestnikov (2X2)

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
Ehn
Perlini
Abby
Ericsson
Daley
Bowey

Erne
Hirose
Cholo

I don't understand the complaint when you look at the players they replaced. Not to mention the salaries and terms. Stevie has obviously come to the conclusion that the kids aren't ready yet.

I think Ryan is going to light it up for some reason.... all of these players have something to prove, and much like VGK's inaugural season, these guys could wind up playing much better than expected.

Ah. Garbage in, garbage out.

I think Cholo sticks.

In terms of NHL development - this year should have been dedicated to Cholo, Svech and maybe Timashov.
Because the pace of on-the-team development isn't going to slow.

Because in the next 2-3 years, we're going to also have to work in:
LD: Johansson. McIsaac.
RD: Seider. Lindstrom. Maybe Tuomisto.
W: Berggren. Raymond. Smith. Mastrosimone.
C: Veleno. Rasmussen. Pearson

All that assumes guys like Wallinder and Niederbach and Hanas aren't ready.

Not all those guys are gonna make it. Some will stall along the way.

I think Cholo/Svech/Timashov have shown enough at the NHL level that they deserve a good, long assessment.

Can't do that when you're going out and signing bargain basement cast-offs.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018

I think Cholo sticks.

In terms of NHL development - this year should have been dedicated to Cholo, Svech and maybe Timashov.

I think Cholo/Svech/Timashov have shown enough at the NHL level that they deserve a good, long assessment.

If Cholo and Svech and maybe Tima can not beat out the garbage players (your words not mine) then maybe they too are garbage and it would still be garbage in garbage out?!

Also the players you listed competing for spots in the next 2-3 years wont have to worry about these garbage in players, because these garbage players are signed to 1-2 year deals.

It's almost like Yzerman planned it this way, weird.

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Is there a center out there that can complete this Red Wings "Nephew Legacy Admissions" line?

Bertuzzi-?-Namestnikov

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA

I think Cholo sticks.

Cholo is more than likely a complete bust. He's afraid of any physical contact. He has yet to hit anybody in the games I have watched. I've said it from his first season.

You know how this works.... half the kids you listed won't have an NHL career. It's like how people were banking on Kindl, Smith, Sproul, Ouellet. In the end, Jensen is going to have a bigger career than all of them.

Every single signing has been 1 or 2 years, so I'm not even sure why you're worried about roster space 2 - 3 years from now.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
Just here to confirm the usual contrarians would be doing their usual contrarian things as usual.

tenor.gif

url

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland

And it's easier to make those assessments if you put some actual quality around them. We were already looking at a season of dealing off Helm, Glendening, Nemeth, Flip, and Bernier. Bringing in extra picks shouldn't be a concern. Instead of going bargain bin shopping, bring in the best guys you can at positions of need, fill in with the kids you want to give a look to, and then fill in the remaining spots with some bargain bin shopping.

To me this offseason looks like Ilitch really wants to limit his expenditures.

Reactions: Larkin2AA

Ed Ned and Leddy

Brokering the Bally Sports + Corncob TV Merger
Apr 1, 2019
Detroit to DC
I'm definitely confused how Yzerman plans to fit in some of these pieces at forward, but I feel that way every single offseason and it usually isn't the end of the world. I'm not going to stress about it too much this time around.

Reactions: lilidk

Steve Yzerlland

Jul 18, 2018
A Nielsen buyout barely saves any cap over the next two seasons, but it does save some money and opens up a roster spot? If Bert signs a team friendly deal maybe the Red Wings had Bert file for arbitration deliberately?
I know I'm not alone not knowing how all this works but what does Bert filing for arbitration have to do with a potential Nielsen buy out? How are they related?

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
Cant complain. A versatile, youngish middle 6 forward on a cheap deal. He can potentially keep a lot of the ded weight out of the lineup and fill in at center if needed. Also have 11 UFAs after this season so he gives Stevie some peace of mind knowing he'll be here next year as well

Reactions: golffuul

MBH

Players Play
Jul 20, 2019
SE Michigan
redwingsnow.com
If Cholo and Svech and maybe Tima can not beat out the garbage players (your words not mine) then maybe they too are garbage and it would still be garbage in garbage out?!

Also the players you listed competing for spots in the next 2-3 years wont have to worry about these garbage in players, because these garbage players are signed to 1-2 year deals.

It's almost like Yzerman planned it this way, weird.

Like When Svech led the team in scoring in the preseason?
Like when Svech was second to Mantha in shots in the same amount of minutes in the preseason?
Or led the team in high danger scoring chances?
Top 5 in CF%, coming in following Larkin, Mantha and Bertuzzi?
Or how, in limited regular season action, he averaged 13+ shots per 60.
I'm not saying Svech is going to be a star. But I think he can be a big-bodied 15-25 goal winger with playmaking ability and the ability to play the front of the net and the boards.
He's like a bigger, but slower Tomas Tatar.
I'd love to see us develop that.
And if turns into a 25-goal winger and we don't have room for him because Berggren/Raymond are ready - we've got a valuable trade asset.

Reactions: Realgud

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
You seem to really have an issue with this.

It's reasonable for a business owner to be conservative in an uncertain economic condition considering they will have no arena income for the season regardless of how good the team is. Quite frankly, I'm glad he was willing to spend as much as he did. The Penguins and Capitals both iced AHL level teams for multiple seasons. If there was ever a season to flat out tank, this was it. Instead they added a bunch of tradeable assets.

It really wouldn't make sense to add high end talent this season, just to be a mediocre team that barely misses the playoffs. And I certainly don't blame him for not wanting to buy picks by taking huge cap dumps.

In the end they added cheap second tier talent to avoid being a complete dumpster fire again. Steve actually made more moves than I expected, though I expected a better D, and not so many moves on offense.

Reactions: ealong59

FabricDetails

HF still in need of automated text analytics
Mar 30, 2009
Other than Greiss, these signing are very much, "Alright. I guess we'll see where this goes." So I wouldn't say I'm pleased with these signings. I'm just moreso thankful for the terms/AAVs not being so bad.

SimonEdvinssonAtSix

It's possible to commit no mistakes and still lose
Nov 2, 2018
And it's easier to make those assessments if you put some actual quality around them. We were already looking at a season of dealing off Helm, Glendening, Nemeth, Flip, and Bernier. Bringing in extra picks shouldn't be a concern. Instead of going bargain bin shopping, bring in the best guys you can at positions of need, fill in with the kids you want to give a look to, and then fill in the remaining spots with some bargain bin shopping.

What would the price be to draw actual talent to this team?
The UFA route would lead us to Krug and I think he would have wanted even more than he signed for in STL to come here. If we are trading, what assets of value do we have that we can spare? We can't trade our 1st unless it's top 10 protected and that would significantly decrease its value. So what options are we really left with?

We all agree for the most part that building through the draft is what we have to do. We all also mostly agree that our rebuild has at least a few years left. Our roster is a blank slate besides Larkin when it comes to players signed in a few seasons, so Yzerman has a unique opportunity to shape this rebuild any way he wants.

By signing the low risk / medium reward players to short term contracts 2 goals are accomplished.
1.) We become more competitive in the short term while still ensuring a good draft pick.
2.) We add assets to our inventory for the TDL giving us more capital come draft day.

I don't think Yzerman is impressed with our current stable of prospects and I think we as fans value Cholo and company much more than the org does at this point.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
I know I'm not alone not knowing how all this works but what does Bert filing for arbitration have to do with a potential Nielsen buy out? How are they related?

Buyouts Outside of the Regular Period

Clubs whom have 1 or more arbitration filings may be permitted to perform a buyout outside of the regular window. This gives teams another opportunity to become cap compliant following an arbitration case.

wingfan

Jul 1, 2012
Not enough room if you factor in th kids. Trade coming?

My guess is a lot of the kids that are playing in Europe are staying in Europe for the season.

I love this. Love Namestnikov. One of my favorite middle six players in the league.

Bertuzzi-Larkin-Mantha
Fabbri-Namestnikov-Zadina
Gagner-Filppula-Ryan
Smith-Glendening-Helm
Svechnikov

This forward corps is a f*** ton more competitive than the team we iced last year. We literally had one scoring line and 1 power play. Now we've got semi competent scoring depth. Our defense still isn't great but isn't the dumpster fire it was last year with the additions of Merrill, Stecher and Staal. I don't think anyone's going to argue how significant an upgrade Greiss is over Howard. We're still not a playoff team but the roster as it's unfolded with Stevie's moves we've got a team that's going to be in games every single night..

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad