Value of: Sidney Crosby to NYR

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

tgo0

Aug 28, 2007
Winnipeg
do you think Pittsburgh needs to rebuild or will they win the cup with current lineup before Crosby retires

Yeah, they might need to rebuild or retool before they contend for anything, they might not get back to contending, they might suck for a few years too and Sid might be ok being a part of that.

He has his cups and literally every other accolade possible, maybe the chance at 1 cup or a couple mediocre playoff runs aren’t as appealing to him as playing for one team.

I’m a neutral fan but there’s ZERO chance any Penguins ownership group or GM moves Sid if he doesn’t want to go, even then he likely picks his destination.

Reactions: Night Shift

Night Shift

Nov 3, 2014
Florida
Not only would this trade never occur in a million years, but if it did... do you really think the Pens wouldn't demand Lafreniere +++++ be included?

I agree. It would need to be one of their A+ prospects and +... None of this C and D garbage with a late 1st rounder.

Nevermind that though, they would never trade him within the division.

Big Empty

He's a big horse
Jan 27, 2020
Montréal
We know Crosby was a Canadians fan as a kid and his father got drafted by MTL, so I'm sure he's kicked around the thought. It would be for that reason. Kind of like when Lindros went to Toronto (Lindros had terrible taste as a kid).
It would be really cool. Growing up watching Sid, he's always been one of my favourite players. So many legendary moments. To see him come to hometown team would be special.

Also that Lindros comment is funny

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just for a package I'd offer from the leafs (though doubt it is enough/Crosby being on the market/wanting to come to T.O with insane expectations which would hurt his legacy perhaps)

Rodion Amirov
Nick Robertson
2022 1st rounder
2023 1st rounder
Topi Niemela/Matthew Knies
1 of Rasmus Sandin/Timothy Lilijgren
Alex Kerfoot (for cap purposes)
Justin Holl (cap and he could bring another 2nd back)

Basically the leafs top 3 of 4 prospects in the organization at the moment, along with 1 of our young NHl defenseman who are looking good in their early NHL tenures at the moment, along with a pair of 1sts and then two NHL players who have varying range of values

Don't have a Krebs-level asset though I do think this value is better than what Eichel got by a fair bit, Eichel wasn't healthy, and even when he is he wasn't/hasn't known to be better than Healthy Crosby.

Crosby would be an insane add to basically any team.

Why do you think a collection of spare parts would let you land Sidney Crosby?

Would you trade Matthews for that kind of package?

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
.......Crosby, Malkin and ownership would probably all agree a la Ray Bourque

Agree, and likely the return would be a small step up from that trade due to Crosby controlling the situation.
1st round + a couple prospects/picks (level of which determined by term remaining and $$$ going to the acquiring team)

I don't think you'll see a blue chip return like many are proposing in this thread.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Agree, and likely the return would be a small step up from that trade due to Crosby controlling the situation.
1st round + a couple prospects/picks (level of which determined by term remaining and $$$ going to the acquiring team)

I don't think you'll see a blue chip return like many are proposing in this thread.

This is the return that Jarome Iginla as a rental brings back. Crosby with term is a completely different animal.

The S5

Jul 27, 2017
Here's hoping the era of the Rangers signing aging superstars is over.
Yes, Sid is great and still has value. No, I wouldn't give up anywhere near as some here might want in return.

Reactions: bernmeister

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
This is the return that Jarome Iginla as a rental brings back. Crosby with term is a completely different animal.

Which is why I mentioned term and salary.
I find it unlikely Crosby would demand/request a trade earlier than the deadline or offseason before his final season, similar to Bourque.

It is a lot easier for a fanbase to support that request than if he were to do it with 3 years left, and I think Crosby cares about his Pittsburgh legacy enough to ride out the next couple years

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Why do you think a collection of spare parts would let you land Sidney Crosby?

Would you trade Matthews for that kind of package?
Those aren't spare parts, those are the leafs best Non Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JT, and Rielly Assets

I doubt you'd want either JT or Rielly in a return for Crosby leaving Matthews, Marner and Nylander

Matthews is our franchise 1C and is entering his prime. He isn't available.

I'd put either of Marner or Nylander on the table and add some of those prospect/picks but not all.

Marner/Nylander + 2022 1st +1 of Amirov/Robertson/Sandin/Lilijgren is what I'd offer if you want an established and capable elite to franchise (nylander to marner) talent coming back instead of heavy quality futures.

I don't expect Crosby to be dealt or to come to Toronto, but Id pay either package around an elite young winger ++ or 5 or 6 future pieces for him if he were on the market

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
We'll just have to agree to disagree here...

Kravtsov doesn't look like he'll be part of the Rangers going forward, so his inclusion seems reasonable

And the Rangers are set at RD with Fox, Trouba, and Lundkvist, so I can't imagine they'd balk at Schneider being involved in the deal

Their cap will be tight, and players like Chytil and Kaako may not be retained because of it, but Lafreniere and Miller aren't due for extensions until 2024, at which point New York's dead cap from buyouts will be off the books...

no prob w/you or anyone else agreeing or disagreeing

but let's get the facts -- dif from opinion -- straight

next yr Fox extension is 9.6
remove Strome 4.5 and Geo 2.whatev, + do not resign McKegg, + recover what elc or rfa min you were paying Fox + one or two scrubs on Hartford roster = Fox 9.5

we will get creative and juggle on Blais, LaF + Kakko
who we can ease breaking in the following year
we are stuck until Trouba is off the books

and we are not keeping a go closer to 30 when we have a guy closer to 20 on his elc ready as his replacement.

Trouba is 111% here all of this year.
his nmc is up two more seasons hence
we may be able to bribe him to go onc season early.

THAT is how Rangers will roll, with depth and cap flexibility.
We are not adding vets for youth.

As to Krav, I don't see a parallel of what happened w/Pulju in EDM
but
I do see that once he can be brought back and his value upped, that is what will happen, unless someone wants to pay most of that now

he's not gonna be sold cheap

IF we were gonna go in that direction, then it would make more sense to see if a younger ElPet of VAN can be had.
But again, once we gave that nmc to both Trouba + Zib, we sealed our fates them.

HFBS

Noted Troublemaker
Jan 18, 2015
patrick-oh-stop.gif

Ignite111

Feb 9, 2017
A 34 year old who has only played 3 games this season because of injury, and has 1 point and is -6 in those 3 games...

Yeah, that's a good return for Crosby

Kakko and Laf have a combined 8 points. Think that would be fare

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
It'll definitely be better than Keneth Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a 1st. But NYR aren't in a position to give up all their young prospects/players and take on another 8+ cap hit for the next few years after signing Fox and Zibanejad, while having Trouba, Shesterkin and Kreider take up another 20 million.

Reactions: bernmeister

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
To New York: Crosby

To Pittsburgh: Strome, Kravtsov, Othmann, Schneider, 2022 1st, STL's 2022 2nd

Rangers get Crosby without sacrificing any of their elite young talent currently on their roster

Pittsburgh add a nice haul of young assets, plus a veteran top 6 forward on an expiring contract who can be flipped to a contender looking to dump salary...

For example...

To Florida: Strome

To Pittsburgh: Hornqvist, 2023 1st

So, Pittsburgh comes away with...

NYR's 2022 1st, FLA's 2023 1st, STL's 2022 2nd, Schneider, Kravtsov, Othmann

That's 2 1sts, a 2nd, and 3 prospects for Crosby

All things considered, that's a pretty good return...

There is no f***ing way that you get Sidney Crosby from a team without sacrificing any of your young elite talent. Pittsburgh takes this call, hangs up, unplugs the phone, drives to New York, and shoves their phone up the ass of the Rangers' GM.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
see my post number 43 below. If i was c lose to the end of my career as a superstar player I think I would like another kick at the cup rather than languish on a team that is going nowhere fast. Crosby, Malkin and ownership would probably all agree a la Ray Bourque

Ray Bourque had never won a Cup and he was a rental in his last year.
Sidney Crosby has won 3 Cups and this team "languishing nowhere fast" is still making the playoffs and still has Crosby and Malkin who, although aged, can still take over a 7 game series. Crosby has no f***ing Earthly reason to be out there chasing Cups. His legacy is set. Only way a trade happens is if he and Nate work together and he wants to play with his buddy to end his career.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
Those aren't spare parts, those are the leafs best Non Matthews, Marner, Nylander, JT, and Rielly Assets

I doubt you'd want either JT or Rielly in a return for Crosby leaving Matthews, Marner and Nylander

Matthews is our franchise 1C and is entering his prime. He isn't available.

I'd put either of Marner or Nylander on the table and add some of those prospect/picks but not all.

Marner/Nylander + 2022 1st +1 of Amirov/Robertson/Sandin/Lilijgren is what I'd offer if you want an established and capable elite to franchise (nylander to marner) talent coming back instead of heavy quality futures.

I don't expect Crosby to be dealt or to come to Toronto, but Id pay either package around an elite young winger ++ or 5 or 6 future pieces for him if he were on the market

In a trade for Sidney Crosby, they're spare parts. Without a request from him, this is whistling by the door

bernmeister

Jun 11, 2010
Da Big Apple
It'll definitely be better than Keneth Agostino, Ben Hanowski and a 1st. But NYR aren't in a position to give up all their young prospects/players and take on another 8+ cap hit for the next few years after signing Fox and Zibanejad, while having Trouba, Shesterkin and Kreider take up another 20 million.

Would argue that unless the return is youth also, NY can almost afford to give up none of its bluest blue chips.
Other than Jones, there appears to be no surplus.

There is no f***ing way that you get Sidney Crosby from a team without sacrificing any of your young elite talent. Pittsburgh takes this call, hangs up, unplugs the phone, drives to New York, and shoves their phone up the ass of the Rangers' GM.
1. tell us how you reallly feel
2. we are more than happy to keep all our blue chip youth, so no in the real world the call is never made.

anyone disputing that knows what they can stick where

rogking65

May 13, 2016
Ray Bourque had never won a Cup and he was a rental in his last year.
Sidney Crosby has won 3 Cups and this team "languishing nowhere fast" is still making the playoffs and still has Crosby and Malkin who, although aged, can still take over a 7 game series. Crosby has no f***ing Earthly reason to be out there chasing Cups. His legacy is set. Only way a trade happens is if he and Nate work together and he wants to play with his buddy to end his career.
how do you know that crosby would not want the thrill of playing with a contender and having a real shot at another cup or 2

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Jul 6, 2012
how do you know that crosby would not want the thrill of playing with a contender and having a real shot at another cup or 2

When your argument for a move to be made is... "How do you know he doesn't want out when he's never given any inkling as to that being the case?"

If Sidney Crosby wants to chase a Cup, he'll tell that to management and they'll see about getting a trade created. Until that happens, any discussion is 100% dead in the water because Sidney Crosby is FAR more useful to your hockey team than whatever dime-store assets someone will want to give you for him.

When it's a superstar of Crosby's caliber... he tells you when he wants to be traded. You don't chuck a 15-20 year legacy out the window against one of the best players in your team's history to maybe get an ounce of a headstart on a rebuild. You just don't.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad