Sidney Crosby can break the record for the most consecutive seasons OVER a PPG (2023 update: 18 consecutive PPG seasons)

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
Thought this was interesting.

83649159-C9B3-49BF-A351-7BA60E929C73.jpeg

Gretzky had 48 in 48 during the lockout season, so technically a PPG, but not over. And it was obviously a shortened season. And Crosby had a few short seasons due to injury throughout his career. So I suppose there’s no guarantee he would have been over a PPG in each of those seasons. But it’s probable.

Still pretty neat.

Last edited:

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
That' s a wild stat. He likely would have eclipsed a PPG even if he played the full 82 games.

The best attribute Crosby has is the fact he can come back and produce even after the concussions/injuries. Thankfully he ended up winning multiples of the major awards because for a while there I thought his career would have been "woulda, coulda, shoulda".

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
Not to sound like a hater, but I have a hard time praising a "# of seasons with X" record when that record includes seasons with games played of:

22 games out of 82
41 games out of 82
53 games out of 82
41 games out of 70

To be fair, I feel the same way about Marleau's shameless "hang em up already" seasons to get to Howe's games played record. Yeah it'll technically be a record but its a hollow one IMO

george14

Mar 9, 2014
Detroit, MI
Not to sound like a hater, but I have a hard time praising a "# of seasons with X" record when that record includes seasons with games played of:

22 games out of 82
41 games out of 82
53 games out of 82
41 games out of 70

To be fair, I feel the same way about Marleau's shameless "hang em up already" seasons to get to Howe's games played record. Yeah it'll technically be a record but its a hollow one IMO

I feel you, but he would need to finish with the following stats to NOT achieve over a PPG:

- 45 points in 60 games
- 16 points in 41 games
- 10 points in 29 games
- 23 points in 29 games

It's damn near a 100% chance he does it the first 3 seasons you listed, with last year being the only one that is a "maybe". Crosby was so far above the PPG average in those other 3 seasons he would need to have been producing at a 3rd/4th line level to not achieve it. Especially the middle two seasons, he easily would have gotten it.

Last edited:

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Gretzky had 48 in 48 during the lockout season, so technically a PPG, but not over

I feel that the little too much cherry picking going on you remove the word over and now Gretzky 19 season record feel like the more actual one.

Gretzky 48 points in 48 games was sandwiched by a 130 and 102 pts season with bad puck luck during that shortened sample size (7.7% shooting percentage was by far and by a giant amount is career worst at that point and would stay is worst until is last season).

A bit like if there would be a shift between season of 50 goal or more in a row and saying that Bossy scored more than 50 nine times to make it more impressive than someone that scored 50 or mores 13 times in a row.

The mental bar feel more like being a ppg player than being at least 1 points above one to me.

Otherwise nice trivia if he would to do it, imagine Ovechkin career perception without is few(3) under PPG down year occurring for a mental exercise.

Has for the shortened season, for those that occured in is 1.42+ ppg phase of is career, that not much of an issue outside the if the added torn/body fatigue of those played game would been bigger than the torn caused by those injury, would he have been able to sustain is prime that long.

The only season with some * in itself, would it have happened if seem to be 2019-2020, has it is really easy to score under 35 pts in those extra 41 games missed in general but especially at this point of is career.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Good for him. And I think we can just call it for what it is, that it is a nice record to have. Even if he has some seasons that are shortened/injury riddled. I guess Lemieux's seasons count as consecutive even with the retirement sandwiched in there?

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
I feel Sid's CS awards were legacy wins (at least his first one) but now that he is getting a bit closer to the end do we have a bit clearer image to where he ranks all time?

I've heard rumblings of 5th all time, is that a distant 5th?

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
I feel Sid's CS awards were legacy wins (at least his first one) but now that he is getting a bit closer to the end do we have a bit clearer image to where he ranks all time?

I've heard rumblings of 5th all time, is that a distant 5th?

Well, (distant) fifth is arguable.
'Think we pretty much nailed it in the Top-100 (12th)

(At least at the time the vote was made)

Last edited:

scott clam

Sep 12, 2018

22 games out of 82
41 games out of 82
53 games out of 82
41 games out of 70

The record book should have an asterix(*) for this one, recognizing only seasons of 50 games or more, barring shortened seasons.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
The record book should have an asterix(*) for this one, recognizing only seasons of 50 games or more, barring shortened seasons.

I am really not sure the record book should have it, but considering the first 29 season or so of the nhl had only 50 games or less that seem a bit harsh for the player in those eras (I guess they could fit in the shortened season criteria), I would go with no putting it in the record book ways I think, in part for that reason, scoring, season length, moved so much over time.

Consecutive PPG or better season in which for player that played more than half the games of the season or some formula in that regard maybe.

CpatainCanuck

Sep 18, 2008
Few players even play for 15 seasons, let alone at an elite level. Even taking into account his injuries, it's odd that he only has 2 Art Ross Trophies despite being a top-5 forward in the league for his entire career.

Reactions: wetcoast

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Well, (distant) fifth is arguable.
'Think we pretty much nailed it in the Top-100 (12th)

This was before his most recent Hart nomination, which gave him the most Top 3 Art Ross placings/Hart nominations outside of Howe, Mario, and Wayne, and his 2018 playoff run.

His career per game impact is, IMO, clearly 5th best. If he literally plays 5% more career games at select times in his career (2010/11, 2013, 2014/15) he has 3 more Art Rosses and 2 or 3 more Harts/Lindsays.

His playoff resume lacks nothing vs. the majority of the other Top Ten players and his international resume should help him vs. the majority of the Top Ten.

Placing him outside of the Hull/Beliveau sphere for forwards is unreasonable, IMO.

Reactions: wetcoast and Dingo

MXD

Partying Hard
Oct 27, 2005
This was before his most recent Hart nomination, which gave him the most Top 3 Art Ross placings/Hart nominations outside of Howe, Mario, and Wayne, and his 2018 playoff run.

His career per game impact is, IMO, clearly 5th best. If he literally plays 5% more career games at select times in his career (2010/11, 2013, 2014/15) he has 3 more Art Rosses and 2 or 3 more Harts/Lindsays.

His playoff resume lacks nothing vs. the majority of the other Top Ten players and his international resume should help him vs. the majority of the Top Ten.

Placing him outside of the Hull/Beliveau sphere for forwards is unreasonable, IMO.

If you say so, it must be true.

Reactions: Voight

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
He's clinched this now. Provided he doesn't miss a game the rest of the way, he'll max at 51 games played and has 52 points on the year currently.

Been a strong campaign for Sid. Really done a great job pulling the weight while Malkin has been out the past month.

Obviously had some years with limited games (08, 11, 12, 13, and last year) but the only year I think you could legitimately question whether he'd have finished over a PPG was last season. He had 47 in 41 but didn't really have a good year. The whole team sucked to be honest.

07- 08 - Had 72 in 53 so he wasn't going to finish under a PPG.

10-11 - This was the biggest what if. Had 66 in 41 (32 goals). He would have ran away with the Ross, Hart, and Richard. Real strong chance he hits 60+ goals.

11-12 - Had 37 in 22 so again, very unlikely he's under a PPG, especially at that age/point of his career.

12-13 - Like 2010-11, a year he was dominating everyone. It took the field like 3/4 week to pass him in scoring despite him missing the entire last 5 weeks of the season due to the slap shot to the jaw. Clearly lost the Hart as he won the Pearson. Really wish he'd been given the Hart here.

19-20 - 47 in 41 games, this being the one year you might have seen him under a PPG over 82 games.

I definitely think Sid is one of the biggest "what if" players as it pertains to hardware. I mean look how much time he missed during his absolute prime. He was posting some fantastic per game numbers. And even still he's got enough on his resume to generally rank in the 10-15 range all time for a lot of people.

Generally I look at him as having lost out on 2 clear cut Hart's and Ross's (11 and 13). He would have easily won the Richard in 2010-11.

So really you're probably looking at a 4 time Hart winner w/4 Ross's, 3 Richard's, and another couple of 1st team AS nods to his name.

Reactions: wetcoast

njdevils1982

Hell Toupée!!!
Sep 8, 2006
North of Toronto
i cant get past the garish photoshop

……that deco style font…….the terrible treatment grey ghost image of the pens logo……..the top heavy text and half crop of the player.

Dingo

Jul 13, 2018

i actually agree with you.
i mean, i dont think there is any doubt that he is in the tier behind the top three forwards. I guess I have a larger tier there than most people do, but i definitely dont see how Beliveau or Hull are clearly ahead of him.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

22 games out of 82
41 games out of 82
53 games out of 82
41 games out of 70

well i mean the record he’s breaking is held be mario. he not only had three seasons with games played in the 20s, he skipped entire seasons and even was retired for three years.

blogofmike

Dec 16, 2010
I feel that the little too much cherry picking going on you remove the word over and now Gretzky 19 season record feel like the more actual one.

Gretzky 48 points in 48 games was sandwiched by a 130 and 102 pts season with bad puck luck during that shortened sample size (7.7% shooting percentage was by far and by a giant amount is career worst at that point and would stay is worst until is last season).

A bit like if there would be a shift between season of 50 goal or more in a row and saying that Bossy scored more than 50 nine times to make it more impressive than someone that scored 50 or mores 13 times in a row.

The mental bar feel more like being a ppg player than being at least 1 points above one to me.

Otherwise nice trivia if he would to do it, imagine Ovechkin career perception without is few(3) under PPG down year occurring for a mental exercise.

Has for the shortened season, for those that occured in is 1.42+ ppg phase of is career, that not much of an issue outside the if the added torn/body fatigue of those played game would been bigger than the torn caused by those injury, would he have been able to sustain is prime that long.

The only season with some * in itself, would it have happened if seem to be 2019-2020, has it is really easy to score under 35 pts in those extra 41 games missed in general but especially at this point of is career.

I would agree. Most seasons over 50 goals would include a season with 50 goals.

Or we could use this method where Lemieux loses season over 100 points because he only hit 100 his rookie year, or Ovechkin loses two seasons over 50 goals because he scored exactly 50 twice.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
i cant get past the garish photoshop

……that deco style font…….the terrible treatment grey ghost image of the pens logo……..the top heavy text and half crop of the player.

Not to mention Crosby looks cross-eyed in the photo.

Near to hire some better art-school grads.

cupcrazyman

Stupid Sexy Flanders
Aug 14, 2006
Leafland
Nice stats but I didn't realize until today that Crosby was that far behind Ovy in career goals.

#6 Ovy 730 Goals

#52 Crosby 480 Goals

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad