"Shout out to my fans in Calgary. You know I couldn't let Edmonton win." - Matthew Tkachuk, and other chirping of his

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Tkachuk is giving the playbook on how not to be hated when you leave.

He was up front. Gave the team options and let them make a good trade (not his fault huby turned into a potato).

Marner should take notes if he wants to be MT or JT if he isn’t staying

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019

He was up front. Gave the team options and let them make a good trade (not his fault huby turned into a potato).

How not to be hated? Calgary booed Tkachuk when he returned and rightfully, so did the Isles fans with Tavares. I wouldn't hold Tavares as a standard on how to leave properly.

I do agree that with Tkachuk he does not deserve the hate as he was very transparent with his intentions, unlike Gaudreau. I do think fan ire in Calgary will wane over time towards Thachuk.

I do love these moments of raw emotion after the win. Didn't care for Ekblad using the f word when there are kids watching but to a degree it is understandable, like what Kadri said a couple of years back.

Khrox

May 31, 2018
How not to be hated? Calgary booed Tkachuk when he returned and rightfully, so did the Isles fans with Tavares. I wouldn't hold Tavares as a standard on how to leave properly.
Tkachuk is the standard on how to leave properly. He gave notice with intention so that management could do something (not like Tavares, or even Gaudreau).

Tkachuk got booed when he came back, as would have been expected by any fanbase who had one of their biggest stars/best players return with another team the first time or two. On that note, in general, the Flames media, and most Flames fans still absolutely love Tkachuk. Florida basically became the Flames fans favourite team because of Tkachuk and Bennet.

cowboy82nd

Feb 19, 2012
Newnan, Georgia

I do agree that with Tkachuk he does not deserve the hate as he was very transparent with his intentions, unlike Gaudreau. I do think fan ire in Calgary will wane over time towards Thachuk.

I do love these moments of raw emotion after the win. Didn't care for Ekblad using the f word when there are kids watching but to a degree it is understandable, like what Kadri said a couple of years back.

Islander fans booed Tavares, because he told them that he was coming back and then signed with Toronto. Tavares lied. Tkachuk told them that he wasn't coming back so Calgary could get something for him. NOT comparable at all.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021

He was saying do you want to be Tkachuk OR Tavares. Chucky left properly, JT did not. I live in Calgary and almost no one has animosity towards Chucky. Most blame Gaudreau and some blame Huberdeau, or both.

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Islander fans booed Tavares, because he told them that he was coming back and then signed with Toronto. Tavares lied. Tkachuk told them that he wasn't coming back so Calgary could get something for him. NOT comparable at all.
I wasn't agreeing with the comparison and even stated Tavares should NOT be held as a standard.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Never happened.

Two completely different situations, Marner doesn't want to leave.
How can you not know this?

CanadienShark

Dec 18, 2012
I don't hate it. It was a fun little jab. His team earned some bragging rights and he didn't actually insult anyone. I liked his postgame interview - he seemed overcome with emotion, but still well spoken and didn't come across as an asshole. Congrats again. He's a guy that teams love to hate. I wish my Sharks or Habs had a player like him.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
I don't hate it. It was a fun little jab. His team earned some bragging rights and he didn't actually insult anyone. I liked his postgame interview - he seemed overcome with emotion, but still well spoken and didn't come across as an asshole. Congrats again. He's a guy that teams love to hate. I wish my Sharks or Habs had a player like him.

tbh though,

What did the flames ever do to him?

HE's the one who decided to jump ship. He wasn't traded away or anything like that.

He was drafted there, fans loved him, etc, and HE, decided to jump ship.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad