Should the Flyers trade up for Marner?

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
The other thing to consider is what kind of team is Hextall trying to emulate. Does he want the Chicago model with quality depth built around a handful of superstars or the LA model where you have multiple stars, not quite at the level of Kane and Toews, throughout the lineup to overwhelm other teams with rolling 4 lines. If he wants the Chicago way, trade up. If he wants the LA way, stay or perhaps even trade down but no further than 10.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
Why? To gain an extra 3rd? Screw that. Get the best player @ 7

You than can package that 3rd with the 29/30 to move up into the mid20's and get a guy like Noah Juulsen or Denis Guryanov.

I wouldn't trade down for the just a 3rd. It would have to be for a 2nd or quality player.

How much difference is there really between 7 and 10? The Flyers would still get one of Barzal, Zacha, Werenski, Rantanen, Crouse, or Connor.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Yeah I wouldn't trade back too far, ten would be the most. You gotta figure you're going to be looking at the group of Barzal, Werenski, Provorov, Rantanen, Connor, Meier, Crouse, Zacha sitting at 7 (maybe one or two of those are off the board). The Flyers will have their favorites, and will likely have some indication of for what the other teams in that range are looking. If their guy is let's say Connor and Colorado calls up with a deal of #10 and a second for Connor (no idea if that is too much, too little, or just right). If they know Colorado is taking Provorov at #7 and have an idea that CBJ will take Werenski at 8, they probably also have some idea of what player the Sharks would take at 9. If they think that they can get Connor at 10 there is no harm in making that deal. You could get burned, but getting burned could be taking Rantanen or Zacha at 10 instead of the guy you wanted.

Obviously, if the Flyers have some ranked leaps and bounds ahead of everyone else, then you stand pat. But if the players are relatively close and they think that they can still get their guy at 10, I think you do it.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Why? To gain an extra 3rd? Screw that. Get the best player @ 7

I agree with you! I don't want the Flyers to swap any of their picks, to move up or back. They have acquired so many picks through Hextall's shrewd deals, so I'd hate to give up any of them.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
No interest in trading down from #7. I have no problem moving the Tampa 1st, Chicago 2nd, and picks next year though to move up from 29/30. Have to think Hextall will still be acquiring more picks at the draft and up until next years deadline.

Maybe something like #29/30+2015 2nd+2016 2nd to get up to 18-20? It's likely they can grab a forward that falls into that range.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
You than can package that 3rd with the 29/30 to move up into the mid20's and get a guy like Noah Juulsen or Denis Guryanov.

I wouldn't trade down for the just a 3rd. It would have to be for a 2nd or quality player.

How much difference is there really between 7 and 10? The Flyers would still get one of Barzal, Zacha, Werenski, Rantanen, Crouse, or Connor.

1-I'm not sure packaging a 3rd + the 29/30 moves up 5 spots.

2-I have no idea what the difference is, but if the Flyers think there is a cut in talent. Dont' do it.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
No interest in trading down from #7. I have no problem moving the Tampa 1st, Chicago 2nd, and picks next year though to move up from 29/30. Have to think Hextall will still be acquiring more picks at the draft and up until next years deadline.

Maybe something like #29/30+2015 2nd+2016 2nd to get up to 18-20? It's likely they can grab a forward that falls into that range.

I don't see the point unless there is someone they absolutely love.

I think in this draft the guy at #30 has a decent chance of being a better player than the guy at #13.

I think there is a clear top 12... but then it is a bit of a lottery.

Also if they take a forward at 7 you would 'expect' they are more likely to go D with the 2nd 1st, and for me after the best 3 dmen there is a cluster of ~7-8 guys in the same tier who will go between ~15 and 30, with very little separation in upside and ability.

Also guys with seriously projectable 1st line upside like Konecny, Meier and Svechnikov I imagine are gone by 18 anyway...

The way I see it:

At 18 on D a guy like ~Zboril/Roy/Chabot may go. At 30 on D a guy like ~Juulsen/Carlsson/Larsson may go.

At 18 at F a guy like ~Merkley/White/Eriksson Ek/Boeser . At 30 at F a guy like Eriksson Ek/Boeser/DeBrusk/Bracco may go.

Is the difference worth those picks? No. If Konency or Svechnikov lasted until 18 I would be more tempted... but still reluctant. I think both are likely gone by then though.

Psuhockey

Nov 17, 2010
1-I'm not sure packaging a 3rd + the 29/30 moves up 5 spots.

2-I have no idea what the difference is, but if the Flyers think there is a cut in talent. Dont' do it.

I don't think a 3rd would but I wouldn't drop down for anything less than a 2nd. That 2nd would then allow the Flyers to move Chicago's 2nd in a deal to move up which should be enough or close to enough for a team like Toronto to bite at 24 since they don't have a 2nd round pick.

That being said, if the Flyers have a clear cut guy at 7 that they love, then they should stay. If they have 4 guys they view about the same, then trade down no more than 3 spots and add an asset.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I don't see the point unless there is someone they absolutely love.

I think in this draft the guy at #30 has a decent chance of being a better player than the guy at #13.

I think there is a clear top 12... but then it is a bit of a lottery.

Also if they take a forward at 7 you would 'expect' they are more likely to go D with the 2nd 1st, and for me after the best 3 dmen there is a cluster of ~7-8 guys in the same tier who will go between ~15 and 30, with very little separation in upside and ability.

Also guys with seriously projectable 1st line upside like Konecny, Meier and Svechnikov I imagine are gone by 18 anyway...

The way I see it:

At 18 on D a guy like ~Zboril/Roy/Chabot may go. At 30 on D a guy like ~Juulsen/Carlsson/Larsson may go.

At 18 at F a guy like ~Merkley/White/Eriksson Ek/Boeser . At 30 at F a guy like Eriksson Ek/Boeser/DeBrusk/Bracco may go.

Is the difference worth those picks? No. If Konency or Svechnikov lasted until 18 I would be more tempted... but still reluctant. I think both are likely gone by then though.

I had Svechnikov in mind when pondering the idea. Also would be Provorov at #7, not a forward.

Hypothetically, that would give them Provorov, Svechnikov, and still another 4 picks in rounds 3/4. They still hold a pick in every round in 2016 and I'm sure they could recoup a few more picks by dealing Schenn/Grossmann/Streit over the next 10 months.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I had Svechnikov in mind when pondering the idea. Also would be Provorov at #7, not a forward.

Hypothetically, that would give them Provorov, Svechnikov, and still another 4 picks in rounds 3/4. They still hold a pick in every round in 2016 and I'm sure they could recoup a few more picks by dealing Schenn/Grossmann/Streit over the next 10 months.

I just think Svechnikov, Konency and Meier are the guys next in line to go after the top 12.

If Svechnikov was definitely going to be there I would be interested in trying to get him... but I would really like that 2nd from this year still. They should be able to get a very good prospect with that pick.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
As I said in another thread, if we were to move back...I would only go to 10. And in exchange, I would go as low as an exchange of 2nd rounders.

That could put us from #60/61 overall with Chicago's 2nd all the way up to 38-40.

To me...that jump in 20 spots in the 2nd round is good enough to drop down a few spots. Especially if I have a forward as the BPA and only Hanifin has been drafted when our pick comes along, because I do think Columbus and SJ want Provorov and Werenski.

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
As good as Provorov or Connor or whomever may be, I think it is pretty safe bet Marner will be a star.

Would you be willing to trade up with Arizona? If so, at what price?
1. 7th + our other number
2. 7th + B. Schenn for 3rd and Arizona second?
etc..

Or would you rather not try to move up?[/QUOTE]

I like Marner but we need players and at 7 we are going to get a flat out stud I know.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
As I said in another thread, if we were to move back...I would only go to 10. And in exchange, I would go as low as an exchange of 2nd rounders.

That could put us from #60/61 overall with Chicago's 2nd all the way up to 38-40.

To me...that jump in 20 spots in the 2nd round is good enough to drop down a few spots. Especially if I have a forward as the BPA and only Hanifin has been drafted when our pick comes along, because I do think Columbus and SJ want Provorov and Werenski.

I'd demand their second rounder, not just offer to swap.

It cost Toronto a second + third to move up from 7th to 5th in 2008.

ponder719

Haute Couturier
Jul 2, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
All depends on what it costs. I'd be interested in Strome, Marner, or Hanifin, but I wouldn't trade up to three and give up a ton. If one of them fell to five and we could swing a deal that allowed us to keep that TBL pick I'd do it.

If none of them fall to 5, then Jack Eichel has been arrested under suspicion of murder.

I'm comfortable sitting at 7 and taking our guy, but very importantly, for once, I'm happy no matter what we do. If we trade up, as long as it doesn't cost an insane amount, I'm fine with that. If we trade back a couple, that's OK, too, as long as we get a guy we want. This is a good enough draft that we basically don't have any bad options here; it's just a question of which good option comes to pass.

CodyTheHuman

Dec 31, 2014
California
I'd demand their second rounder, not just offer to swap.

It cost Toronto a second + third to move up from 7th to 5th in 2008.

I would too. 7 for 10 + 40. I would be perfectly content if they did that. Then draft Zacha or Connor with 10, Juulsen (hopefully) with 29/30. I'd be a happy camper.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
@NHLFLYERA doing some work this morning, posting years worth of 29th & 30th picks.

Its' 90% junk.

Go get Marner

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
@NHLFLYERA doing some work this morning, posting years worth of 29th & 30th picks.

Its' 90% junk.

Go get Marner

I agree. Also, if Arizona does not pick Marner (e.g. Hanifin or Strome) than I would consider trading with Carolina the following:

Carolina:
7th + 2nd (Chicago) + 3rd

Philadelphia
4th.

Hiesenberg

Jul 2, 2013
Sounds like people think the best chance for the Flyers is 4th. Toronto needs picks desperately, think they will be more than willing to accept both 1sts.

briererocks

Nov 23, 2011
Sounds like people think the best chance for the Flyers is 4th. Toronto needs picks desperately, think they will be more than willing to accept both 1sts.

I wouldn't offer both firsts for Toronto's pick. The draft is insanely deep. You can get Gurnayov or another player who in a normal year would be a top 10 pick.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad