Speculation: Should the Canes be buyers ?

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
With a great chance to make the playoffs should the Canes be buyers at the TDL? They could have a legit chance at the playoffs for the first time in 10 years. Would be great for those fans who have remained loyal for the last decade.

MNRube

Oct 20, 2013
Yes, they need to move out a d-man. Middle six still could use some punch.

Reactions: bl02

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
the loyal fans would appreciate not giving up their future for one run. maybe a tweak here for there but shouldn't be mortgaging the future.
I don't think they would be mortgaging their future. Not saying go after a Duchene and give up first rounders and/or multiple prospects. Maybe go after a middle 6 forward??

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
If we can acquire a scoring forward without subtracting anything from the NHL roster, great. Otherwise, no. There's no longer a strong need to trade a RHD since Pesce moved over to the left side, Neiderreiter has been a great pickup and Staal will be coming back soon.

Garbage Goal

Apr 1, 2009
They’re in a position where only getting good long-term fits, meaning players with term that fill weaknesses, makes sense. So, not rentals.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
My $0.02. Canes should NOT be moving things like: 1st round pick, Bean, Necas, Fox, etc... for TDL help. I'd have no problem with them moving any TVR, Kuokkanen, Roy, Gauthier, etc and non-1st round picks for the right guy at the TDL.

If they move Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce, it should be in the off season. If they do it now, it should be only Faulk for a "hockey deal".

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Keep Ferland, see if there is a hockey trade out there (i.e moving one of the dmen for forward help), moving a 2nd + late pick/ok prospect certainly wouldn't kill them. Wonder if they also exploring trading Adam Fox, this would be the time to get value for him if they're worried he wont sign.

Reactions: SaskCanesFan

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
If a team is willing to trade someone with term who doesnt suck, why not?

Wait until next year and if the strong play is consistent, then I say start going for it.

Will be a big off season for Ufas, too, so them playing like this could help draw a big name to them.

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
My $0.02. Canes should NOT be moving things like: 1st round pick, Bean, Necas, Fox, etc... for TDL help. I'd have no problem with them moving any TVR, Kuokkanen, Roy, Gauthier, etc and non-1st round picks for the right guy at the TDL.

If they move Faulk, Hamilton, or Pesce, it should be in the off season. If they do it now, it should be only Faulk for a "hockey deal".
Agree with this, except Gauthier....he seems to be following the historic "power forward" development path.

Personally, I don't think a d-man (except for possibly TVR) will be moved until after the season. The enticement for Fox to sign is likely limited to burning the year off of the ELC while getting that initial contract prior to the potential CBA situation.

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC

I think Faulk in a deal for another 1.5 year contract makes the most sense, but it's hard to identify a team that could use a player with 1.5 years left and is shopping such a forward as well. Maybe Hoffman, but would Florida be interested in Faulk as the centerpiece of the return?

If a player with term is available, I think they should jump at the opportunity. When the rumors started circulating about Huberdeau being available I was completely in favor of making that the big push, but I think that's most likely incorrect and he's not available.

As far as rentals go, if there's a cheap C available I wouldn't be opposed to it, but I doubt there's the combination of someone Carolina could use who will be in the price range they are interested in. Maybe Brassard, but even then I suspect the Canes get outbid.

Reactions: SvechneJerk

CupsOverCash

Jun 16, 2009
I would. If they get in and depending on who their first round opponent would be could go on a decent run. Got the talent.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
If it’s a hockey trade that could happen at any time designated to make the team better in general then I’m fine with it. I don’t want them trading any of the good stuff for something short term.

They’re the youngest team in the league if they didn’t have Williams and Mcbackup. Liking goofy songs on a loop in the locker is hardly weird for a bunch of young early to mid 20’s dudes (and an 18 year old) I think even with the two old dudes they’re the second youngest team in the league.

Michoulicious

Dec 9, 2014
So many forwards are available with so few legit Cup contenders that I believe the Canes can (and should) snag a decent talent for a 2nd + prospect. Someone like Brassard, Zucc, Nyquist, Silvferberg, or Staal.

That would be a great mistake.

Carolina is having a good stretch, but are in no way near contending... Especially with that goaltending. Wasting assets on rentals is a dumb dumb thing to do.

Hopefully Waddell is not fooled by the last few weeks.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad