Should Johnny Gaudreau be inducted into the HHOF?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I'll just preface that I understand this might be a tough topic to approach rn, so if the mods decide to take the thread down I'll understand.

The whole situation around Johnny hockey has been nothing short of a tragedy, and perhaps it is unfair to ask this question while the tragedy of this incident clouds our conscience and reasoning at this time. In my opinion though, he was a HHOF level talent who was taken away from us far too early. Now I'm not saying that would've guaranteed he makes it when his career was over, but I can certainly imagine a projection where he makes it if he could've played out his whole career.

Now my thought was that, before leaving Calgary, he almost certainly would've made it. If he had stayed in Calgary, I think he would've been capable of 2 or 3 more 100 pt seasons. He certainly would've broken Iginla's franchise pts record and likely surpassed 1200 pts. After he went to Columbus, I was less sure that projection would've held up. He wouldn't have the same supporting cast that allowed him to put up gaudy pt totals as before. However, I still think 1000 pts was almost a lock and maybe even 1100 if things clicked. Given some of his peak seasons he had and his overall story of overcoming adversity, I think a solid case could've been made if he even had a respectable second half of his career in Columbus. And honestly, I think he could've shown even more than he had once their roster was better put together.

Given the circumstances that have unfolded (an NHL superstar being killed far too early in their life), as well as his pure talent ability and what he meant to his respective franchises, I certainly think he deserves a spot. I can understand why people would disagree with that overall assessment. Regardless, I do hope that players in the the future, especially undersized ones, continue to look to him as a source of inspiration to what they can accomplish.

• Wow
Reactions: Trow

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I certainly think he should be honored by the league in some way, but in terms of HHOF criteria, he doesn't meet it. I just...don't think HHOF is the correct way to honor him. The HHOF is an honor reserved for on-ice accomplishments.

AKL

Danila Yurov Fan Club President
Sponsor
Dec 10, 2012
I would love to see an award for made in his honor though. The Johnny hockey trophy should be handed out every year, not sure for what.

I like this idea if you can avoid just renaming a current trophy, and find something new to award a trophy for that doesn't feel like you're just coming up with something cheap for the sole purpose of naming it after him.

Reactions: GreeningOil

Sanderson

Sep 10, 2002
Hamburg, Germany
The answer should indeed be no, his career-performance wasn't good enough for the Hall of Fame yet, and tragic deaths shouldn't really be a factor when it comes to the Hall of Fame, especially when they happened away from the game.

Now, retiring his jersey-number in Calgary, that's something you could think about. Or honoring his number without fully retiring it, not sure what sort of approach the Flames take with the numbers right now.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
The answer should indeed be no, his career-performance wasn't good enough for the Hall of Fame yet, and tragic deaths shouldn't really be a factor when it comes to the Hall of Fame, especially when they happened away from the game.

Now, retiring his jersey-number in Calgary, that's something you could think about. Or honoring his number without fully retiring it, not sure what sort of approach the Flames take with the numbers right now.
We've had a couple retirements over the past 5 years, but Calgary has been skiddish to retire numbers overall.

Gaudreau is a tough one. I definitely can't see another player wearing #13, but a formal retirement might be a ways away (if it ever comes).

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
We've had a couple retirements over the past 5 years, but Calgary has been skiddish to retire numbers overall.

Gaudreau is a tough one. I definitely can't see another player wearing #13, but a formal retirement might be a ways away (if it ever comes).

Flames have to retire the jersey at least. There should only be a question of whether it's done this coming season or if the family wants some extra time and they do it next-next season. If they're going to debate whether to do it at all they've lost the plot.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012

I think this gets blown out of proportion. What numbers should be retired that aren't?

MacInnis? He allegedly declined this because he didn't think the Flames should do it while he was working for St. Louis.
Gilmour? A guy who allegedly slept with an underage girl while in STL? Nope.
Nieuwendyk? A guy who held out and demanded a trade? No thanks.
Fleury? His # is out of circulation but he's a shitty person who doesn't deserve it.

And this is a completely different circumstance.

super6646

Apr 16, 2018
Calgary
I think this gets blown out of proportion. What numbers should be retired that aren't?

MacInnis? He allegedly declined this because he didn't think the Flames should do it while he was working for St. Louis.
Gilmour? A guy who allegedly slept with an underage girl while in STL? Nope.
Nieuwendyk? A guy who held out and demanded a trade? No thanks.
Fleury? His # is out of circulation but he's a shitty person who doesn't deserve it.

And this is a completely different circumstance.
With regards to Gaudreau, my pov is that it will have more to do with when the family wants to do it. That might not be in the near term, but who knows. If the fam wants it, I think it gets done. I didn’t explain the distinction well, but the issue between Gaudreau and the other players mentioned is indeed distinct.

Fleury and gilmour are reasonable given their personal circumstance. But for Macinnis, well that’s pure speculation, and I’ve never heard it anywhere else. Is it believable? Ya, perhaps. But it’s merely one possible explanation. Nieuwendyk left on rough terms, but so what? Other franchises retired numbers for players on merit despite similar circumstances.

Reactions: barbu

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
With regards to Gaudreau, my pov is that it will have more to do with when the family wants to do it. That might not be in the near term, but who knows. If the fam wants it, I think it gets done. I didn’t explain the distinction well, but the issue between Gaudreau and the other players mentioned is indeed distinct.

Fleury and gilmour are reasonable given their personal circumstance. But for Macinnis, well that’s pure speculation, and I’ve never heard it anywhere else. Is it believable? Ya, perhaps. But it’s merely one possible explanation. Nieuwendyk left on rough terms, but so what? Other franchises retired numbers for players on merit despite similar circumstances.
I've heard the MacInnis thing multiple times over the years. It's literally supposed to be the reason why they created the Forever a Flame honor, so they could honor him without retiring his number. And that's good enough for him and Nieuwendyk IMO.

And yes, it is 100% up to Meredith, Guy and Jane when Gaudreau's # goes up. I feel like December will be too soon, which is when CBJ is in town, I know 7 months after my dad's passing I couldn't handle something like that, but then again everyone is different.

Marioesque

Oct 7, 2021
Definitely. He is one of the best American players of this generation.

He needs to be there

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad