Should Carey Price’s number be retired?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should Carey Price’s number be retired?

• Total voters

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don’t think so. Vezina is overrated due to his name on the trophy but there were better goalies. I have no problem leaving him off. Durnan I dont think so.

Joliat? Definitely. Toe Blake I think so.

The legacy of Georges Vézina has nothing to do with his name on the trophy but everything to do what what he accomplished and how his contemporaries perceived his rank. While not unanimous, he was considered the best goalie in the world in his day, and the best goalie of all-time until Charlie Gardiner and Frank Brimsek came around.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
The legacy of Georges Vézina has nothing to do with his name on the trophy but everything to do what what he accomplished and how his contemporaries perceived his rank. While not unanimous, he was considered the best goalie in the world in his day, and the best goalie of all-time until Charlie Gardiner and Frank Brimsek came around.
Take a look at Clint Benedict. Consistently better.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Do you think quick isn't going to the hall of fame? I'd wager that he is.
I think in the Olympics if we switch Price and Quick, Quick wins gold medal with Canada team and Price lose with the US team. They were both as good when in prime. Quick had a better LA team but nobody will remove his 2 SC, he deserved it.

When we talk of Price, we have to know he had an huge support from the medias and later we knew he had substance addiction but we don't know when he started the addiction. He was drafted in 2005, in the full era of Koivu-Kovalev-Markov. He never took his place in the early years. He started as a good bench warmer and when Huet and Halak were traded, he was the starting goaliey. So it's basicly a 13 years career that ended with injuries and addiction program support.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Take a look at Clint Benedict. Consistently better.

I don't even disagree that Benedict might be better, but so what? Benedict was an all-time great goalie, I don't see how that makes Vézina overrated.

Is Brodeur overrated because he played at the same time as Roy and Hasek?

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I don't even disagree that Benedict might be better, but so what? Benedict was an all-time great goalie, I don't see how that makes Vézina overrated.

Is Brodeur overrated because he played at the same time as Roy and Hasek?
You just said he was the best goalie of his day. No he wasn't. Not in the NHL anyway.

It was a four team league back then and Vezina started at age 31. He led the league in wins once and GAA three times. Twice in a row and that was when he was 37, 38 years old.

I'm sorry but I don't feel the need to include him. I don't think he warranted the 100 player selection and I think he's overrated. His prime came before the NHL was even a league. I'm not wholly against including him but he's not a must have either. Joliat's a much better choice from that era.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think in the Olympics if we switch Price and Quick, Quick wins gold medal with Canada team and Price lose with the US team. They were both as good when in prime. Quick had a better LA team but nobody will remove his 2 SC, he deserved it.
I don't think so.

For whatever reason, that team had a real problem scoring. Price had to be perfect to win some of those games. He was Team Canada's best player in that Olympics by far. I still remember the Latvia game... took us forever to score. :laugh: People were actually getting nervous. He gave up one goal total in the final three games. He only allowed three goals total over the entire tournament. A save percentage of .972.

And after that Olympics he came back on a mission. Just an incredible run afterwards. 8-3 .933 to end the year.
When we talk of Price, we have to know he had an huge support from the medias and later we knew he had substance addiction but we don't know when he started the addiction. He was drafted in 2005, in the full era of Koivu-Kovalev-Markov. He never took his place in the early years. He started as a good bench warmer and when Huet and Halak were traded, he was the starting goaliey. So it's basicly a 13 years career that ended with injuries and addiction program support.
It doesn't matter. We have the Vezina and Hart placements, the playoff upsets, the best save percentage in the league over six years despite being on bad teams, the playoff final... It's a HOF resume no matter what.

Last edited:
Reactions: WeThreeKings

Bacchus1

Fill the net!
Sep 10, 2007
Montreal
They should stop and roll back the practice of retiring numbers, especially on a team like the Habs, wherre there are so many retired numbers that we are going to run out of numbers if we ever get another new dynasty.

Honoured, hhf, etc, but hopefully no retirement of #.

Reactions: BLONG7

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

If you are suggesting that quick was as good as Price, that's your opinion, and you are entitled to it.

I just don't buy the notion that the Montreal spotlight is what was driving Price's reputation. You don't have to take my word for it, or media's word for it. Just ask the nhl players. He was polled as the best goalie on the planet in the annual nhlpa players poll as late as 2020. The poll finally went to vasilevsky in 2021.

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
As a fan from another team if Price played for a dozen other franchises quite possibly. Playing for the Habs not a chance. He's a great player but Habs franchise has been blessed with so many legends he's far down list.
A majority of Habs fans agree with you that Price, as great as he was, doesn't deserve to have his name hanging next to Cup winners. "Must have a Stanley Cup" is a legit argument, even if I disagree. If that's the standard for having a player's number in the rafters, some iconic players will be passed over while we wait for another Cup. Personally, I think Price deserves to have his number retired because he's a future Hall of Famer who defined an era. It would be a shame to see #31 worn by someone else.

They should stop and roll back the practice of retiring numbers, especially on a team like the Habs, wherre there are so many retired numbers that we are going to run out of numbers if we ever get another new dynasty.

Honoured, hhf, etc, but hopefully no retirement of #.
It's been 31 years since we won a Cup. Almost 30 since we had a player whose number was retired. I don't think we have to worry about dynasties or running out of numbers.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
I will give a voice for those who doesn't post here. In my life when I discuss hockey, many hockey fans don't like Price. Don't shoot the messenger, I tryed to gave arguments Price was good. What they say is he's a chocker. He plays very good, block shots that would go in and finally he let an easy one, by mental distraction or too much pressure, go figure, he chocke, that's what they say.

So that explains why so many Habs fans are divided about Price. I don't care about his number retired. I know he will be an HOF. All this debate is futility for me. As an Habs fan, I look at the future and this future looks interresting, more and more exciting and interresting.

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
I will give a voice for those who doesn't post here. In my life when I discuss hockey, many hockey fans don't like Price. Don't shoot the messenger, I tryed to gave arguments Price was good. What they say is he's a chocker. He plays very good, block shots that would go in and finally he let an easy one, by mental distraction or too much pressure, go figure, he chocke, that's what they say.

So that explains why so many Habs fans are divided about Price. I don't care about his number retired. I know he will be an HOF. All this debate is futility for me. As an Habs fan, I look at the future and this future looks interresting, more and more exciting and interresting.
Most hockey fans , especially habs fans are idiots. I know alot of people who still prefer Halak lol

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal

Playoffs are what separate "Clutch" from "Choking". Here are the playoff stats for 2013/14 through 2020/21:

Screen Shot 2024-08-28 at 8.37.38 AM.png

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Most hockey fans , especially habs fans are idiots. I know alot of people who still prefer Halak lol
Usually they don't have any degree or diploma, they work as a blue collar, they have very conservative ideas about gays, minorities, society, etc. But if I want to keep my teeth I would not call them idiots in their face, lol. But who I am and who are we to call them idiots?

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

The Gr8 Dane

L'harceleur
Jan 19, 2018
Montreal
Usually they don't have any degree or diploma, they work as a blue collar, they have very conservative ideas about gays, minorities, society, etc. But if I want to keep my teeth I would not call them idiots in their face, lol. But who I am and who are we to call them idiots?
Yeah I apologize , idiots is the wrong term , more like people who don't really follow the game/know anything about other teams/players than the habs

Reactions: Catanddogguitarrr

Lshap

Hardline Moderate
Jun 6, 2011
Montreal
If these guys are really like that, it shows how much their opinions are worth.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
Yeah I apologize , idiots is the wrong term , more like people who don't really follow the game/know anything about other teams/players than the habs
Here a special context with Habs fans. We were raised with HOF goalies, from Dryden to Roy. Even Gump Worsley was a good goalie in his prime years. And Theodore was fantastic when Habs defeated Bruins in 2002. And in 2004 too. One team they beated but among the best teams in the league, everyone would agree. And Halak did great in 2010. Defeat the Caps and the Crosby team two in a row, wow, just wow! Those teams were in their prime. And we did with Camma, Gomer, Gionta and Pleks up front. They were not the Ovy-Kunetz or Crosby-Malkin you know. Is an hot goalie in SC run can last that long alone? I think he need a depth team backing him. Centers are super important and top 4 defs too. Count how many SC were won with an unknowned goalie on an hot streak with a good team. I count at least 8 in the least 20 years.

By experience such goalies on the top of the league, the step is high for Price. But yeah he was as good as the others but never had the chance to have the complete team ready for his standards. He had the badluck of the most circonstances in 10 years. He had the best SC running in his very last year with covid and that run ended his body, he was suffering all those years. I wrote that maybe his style was too much butterfly extreme and the human body is not built to do that long term. I have to say he's a likeable person in interview or real. I think to a certain point hockey coverage is a built-up of the medias, they need to have a sort of storyline to keep the advertisers customers alive and wanting more follow up news.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007

He was an auto win in the playoffs when we scored three or more. He beat far superior teams with some regularity.

Not being able to win a cup while playing on brutal teams does not equal choker. He played his best in the playoffs.

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
He was an auto win in the playoffs when we scored three or more. He beat far superior teams with some regularity.

Not being able to win a cup while playing on brutal teams does not equal choker. He played his best in the playoffs.
I know and this is a debate because I dont know how many Habs fans, 20% or maybe 45% says the negative about Price. You and me are in the 65%. And I could be totaly wrong with my perception of the %, I'm not Sondage Leger, lol

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I know and this is a debate because I dont know how many Habs fans, 20% or maybe 45% says the negative about Price. You and me are in the 65%. And I could be totaly wrong with my perception of the %, I'm not Sondage Leger, lol
It’s the same on every board. Some people hate their own stars. They cheer against them their whole career as these players rack up a HOF career on the team they cheer for. Who gives a shit about them? I just refute their BS with numbers.

Again, if people don’t want players without cups retired, that’s fine. It’s a bigger honour than the HoF. I don’t agree with that position but people are entitled to their own opinion on that front.

I’d say it takes a team to win a cup. Even Hasek couldn’t do it until he went to Detroit. Gretzky, Lemieux, Bourque, Hull, Jagr, Sakic, Yzerman… none were able to win cups on bad teams. If we’d beaten Tampa it would’ve been the biggest upset in recent history (maybe if all time.) it’s too much to ask of any player to take a bad team to the final and win. Nobody has been able to do it. The closest would be Ken Dryden in 71 but he at least had some HOFers helping.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Natey

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Playoffs are what separate "Clutch" from "Choking". Here are the playoff stats for 2013/14 through 2020/21:

View attachment 903593
Actual Facts...................sweet mother this thread doesn't need actual facts.

The fact is Price was a great goalie on a terrible hockey team. the guy was on the wrong team, and had the wrong GM.
When he didn't play we sunk to the very bottom of the league in all categories.

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
What happend in 2010 and 2013 then?

2010 he got out classed by Halak

2013 Budaij played better than Price, we finished 2nd because of him rather than 7th or 8th.

There's also the time with Huet.

Then there's a time after the 10.5 contract he was letting in 5 goals a night.

Why are we turning a blind eye on the bad moments?
No blind eye man.........Huet and Price were team mates when the kid was a rookie.....45-50 games so that is stupid on your part.
2010 yes, Halak stole the net for a couple of weeks in Price's second year in da playoff......Halak had a nice run, he was 9-9 with a 2.55 GA and a .923 sv percentage......third round Halak shit the bed, but was very good for 2 rounds, or 3 weeks...
You are out to lunch with the Budaj talk.....Budaj had 10 wins that season and Price had 39.....

These were times when Price was a kid, and learning the NHL game.
Once taking over, he was more often than not..... amazing, on a shit team......with a shit GM and coaches, more often than not.

Every team in the league wanted a Price on their team......that simple.
Perfect? Of course not.................just amazing for the most part.
He was crowned the most perfect technical goalie in the NHL for years, and goalie coaches then changed their technique to follow Price's game............

Hall of Fame first ballot goaltender......................as for the sweater, hanging, maybe maybe not.....I can tell you right now, he could care less and probably would rather not have it hanging......he knew all he cared about was a Cup banner.

Last edited:

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
No blind eye man.........Huet and Price were team mates when the kid was a rookie.....45-50 games so that is stupid on your part.

Why do you feel the need to insult people, did you see me insult any one? How do you expect me to respect you if you can't respect yourself. I din't even disagree to the fact that Price was a rookie.

2010 yes, Halak stole the net for a couple of weeks in Price's second year in da playoff......Halak had a nice run, he was 9-9 with a 2.55 GA and a .923 sv percentage......third round Halak shit the bed, but was very good for 2 rounds, or 3 weeks...

what are you talking about 2 weeks? look at their seasonal record, Halak was clearly doing better through out the season, he was getting dem victories, making dem key saves at dem key moments.. all season long. 2010 was a catastrophic season for Price, which he eventually learned from .

You are out to lunch with the Budaj talk.....

Budaj had 8 wins, 1 Loss... please, stop.

These were times when Price was a kid, and learning the NHL game.
Once taking over, he was more often than not amazing, on a shit team......with a shit GM and coaches, more often than not.

From 2014-2017, he was great

GM? yeah of course, who's fault is that though?
Coaches, players... no one is blaming him for how bad they managed the team or how poorly they treated Subban.

Great goalies have played for worst teams and worst GMs before. Its not an argument to use to retire his jersey.

Every team in the league wanted a Price on their team......that simple.
Perfect? Of course not.................just amazing for the most part.

Who disagrees? we're talking about retiring his jersey man... keep up with the program please.

He was crowned the most perfect tecnical goalie in the NHL for years, and goalie coaches then changed their technique to follow Price's game............

Yes he was a beast physically and if he had Roy's mental, he would probably have 4-5 stanley cups by now.

Hall of Fame first ballot goaltender......................as for the sweater, hanging, maybe maybe not.....I can tell you right now, he could care less and probably would rather not have it hanging......he knew all he cared about was a Cup banner.

All roads lead to ROme

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
A majority of Habs fans agree with you that Price, as great as he was, doesn't deserve to have his name hanging next to Cup winners. "Must have a Stanley Cup" is a legit argument, even if I disagree. If that's the standard for having a player's number in the rafters, some iconic players will be passed over while we wait for another Cup. Personally, I think Price deserves to have his number retired because he's a future Hall of Famer who defined an era. It would be a shame to see #31 worn by someone else.

It's been 31 years since we won a Cup. Almost 30 since we had a player whose number was retired. I don't think we have to worry about dynasties or running out of numbers.
That’s the thing. There’s millennials in their 40’s now who don’t remember our last cup win much less the 80’s and before. Or if they do, they were just small kids. We should always celebrate our winning history but you have to cater to the current generation a little bit as well. As the kids would say, there’s a lot of “boomers” within our fanbase with outdated opinions.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
That’s the thing. There’s millennials in their 40’s now who don’t remember our last cup win much less the 80’s and before. Or if they do, they were just small kids. We should always celebrate our winning history but you have to cater to the current generation a little bit as well. As the kids would say, there’s a lot of “boomers” within our fanbase with outdated opinions.

No you dont have to cater to the current generation and trends As an organisation with history and traditions.

Price was not part of a winning team and no player is bigger than the team.

The rafters are reserved for the cups and those who brought them home.

Subban won a norris and was a top D every year for us, should he get his jersey retired? Arguably the best defender we got in the last 31 years?

No he dint win it.

No honey no money.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I think a player is worthy or he’s not. Price is worthy.

The Canadiens aren’t going to win the cup the way they used to when their were six teams. It just doesn’t work that way anymore. More and more superstar players are going to be retiring without cups. It’s just the reality of a 32 team league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad