Should Carey Price’s number be retired?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Should Carey Price’s number be retired?

• Total voters

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
Subban was better every other year aside for 2014, are you actually contesting that?

Come on man, this is not the argument. Savard was part of the core of the team. We're comparing core players to core players
Come on man
Different eras

See how it’s done
Anyone can play

Savard doesn’t get 1 Cup if he gets drafted by rhe Rangers

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Come on man
Different eras

See how it’s done
Anyone can play

Savard doesn’t get 1 Cup if he gets drafted by rhe Rangers
Saying "I think Price shouldn't get in because he doesn't have a cup" isn't something I agree with but I can understand. You want to limit it to cup winners? That's fine. I disagree but people will have their own opinions on it.

But when somebody says 'he's not even close to those guys' and then can't back it up? I'm sorry but no.

It's a really interesting topic. It's kinda fun to see how Price stacks up against those other legends and see where he fits. The resume I think stacks up to most guys in that tier two group. But the cup qualification will be there for some and that's fair enough. I disagree with it but I get people wanting to uphold it as a standard.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
Saying "I think Price shouldn't get in because he doesn't have a cup" isn't something I agree with but I can understand. You want to limit it to cup winners? That's fine. I disagree but people will have their own opinions on it.

But when somebody says 'he's not even close to those guys' and then can't back it up? I'm sorry but no.

It's a really interesting topic. It's kinda fun to see how Price stacks up against those other legends and see where he fits. The resume I think stacks up to most guys in that tier two group. But the cup qualification will be there for some and that's fair enough. I disagree with it but I get people wanting to uphold it as a standard.

Savard played next to Larry, he was a leader in the locker room and won the conn smyth. He played 1000+ games for the habs and had decent numbers. On top of 8 scs... not 1... 8 while being part of the core.

"Serge was probably one of the most underrated players I ever had play for me on any of my teams," Scotty Bowman

You can put him in the tier 2 list if you want, prob the reason why they waited 20 years.

If Serge is tier 2 then Price is definitely tier 3-3.5 for all the reasons listed above.

Reactions: double5son10

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Savard played next to Larry, he was a leader in the locker room and won the conn smyth. He played 1000+ games for the habs and had decent numbers. On top of 8 scs... not 1... 8 while being part of the core.

"Serge was probably one of the most underrated players I ever had play for me on any of my teams," Scotty Bowman
Nobody doubts Savard being a great player. He absolutely is or his jersey wouldn't be retired.

You said they aren't comparable players. Apart from the cups, how's that true?
You can put him in the tier 2 list if you want, prob the reason why they waited 20 years.

Price is definitely tier 3-3.5 for all the reasons listed above.
Again, you haven't answered the difference between their resumes apart from the cup (which is a team award.)

It's great that Bowman said Savard was a leader, so was Price. That's not really a difference maker. How is Price tier 3? :laugh:

I don't think their resumes are that dissimilar. Price is in that same class of player. If you think otherwise, I'll ask you again to tell us why. You haven't done this yet.

Bobby Holik agent

erudite free agency sci-fi
Oct 17, 2002
Montreal
Price was huge between 2014 & 2021.
You really need 2021 playoffs to go up to 2021.
Before 2014 he was an nhler with untapped potencial, little out of the extraordinary.
After 2021 we're getting mindf*** by his last name up until 2026.
while his peak was better than Markov or Koivu i find Markov & Koivu more consistent.
Subban, Chelios gave you best in the world Norris quality great seasons too.
Shutt, Lemaire, earlier folks, like .. it not the number of names that are missing.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price was huge between 2014 & 2021.
You really need 2021 playoffs to go up to 2021.
Before 2014 he was an nhler with untapped potencial, little out of the extraordinary.
After 2021 we're getting mindf*** by his last name up until 2026.
while his peak was better than Markov or Koivu i find Markov & Koivu more consistent.
Subban, Chelios gave you best in the world Norris quality great seasons too.
Shutt, Lemaire, earlier folks, like .. it not the number of names that are missing.
Chelios would've been retired here for sure. But his prime was spent elsewhere. Neither Markov nor Koivu are HOF players. I don't think they'll be retired at any point. Subban was terrific but he was traded and half his prime was spent elsewhere and he's also not a HOFer as he declined very early.

BargainBinSpecial

Jul 2, 2018
Absolutely not. He didn't bring a Cup and I do understand that he was asked to carry this team, however he chocked when he had to give his 110%.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Theodore won both the Hart and Vezina in a tie breaker with Iginla and Roy and never received another Hart or Vezina vote in another season after that. He also didn’t win the Lindsay(Pearson) that year and was a 2nd team all star. That Jose Theodore season was a one hit wonder or fluke if you want to call it that. Price received Vezina votes in 7 different seasons(top 5 four times), best statistical goaltender by far from 2010-2017 which is a big sample size, going to be a first ballot HOF, was regarded as the best player(not just goalie) over a considerable stretch of time, took us to the SCF on his back with a broken body, was yearly voted the best goalie in the league by his peers over a long stretch of time, etc. Comparing him to Jose Theodore is insulting.
I said in my post that they were not the same. I know this is an emotional subject for you, but try not to let it make you completely miss the point. The point being he was elite one season. Very good to excellent in 3-4 others. He was never really in contention for best player in the world.

Reactions: ReHabs

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
I said in my post that they were not the same. I know this is an emotional subject for you, but try not to let it make you completely miss the point. The point being he was elite one season. Very good to excellent in 3-4 others. He was never really in contention for best player in the world.

Mmm although not my favourite Theodore was in the discussion as the best player in the world at the peak of his best season

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
People saying no are living in the past dynasties with unreal expectations and forget that Price had a trash team for 90% of his career. Stanley cup being a necessity is unfair in a team game, especially 32 team parity leagues. He was known as one of if not the best goalie in the world for at least half his career.

Montreal bias here.

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Mmm although not my favourite Theodore was in the discussion as the best player in the world at the peak of his best season
Price was a much better goalie than Theodore and the poster who quoted me knows I know that. That was never my point. We like to give price all the praise for anything good the team has done with him and excuse him from the results when the team was poor with him. It doesn’t work that way.

Killer Orcas

Jul 2, 2011
Abbotsford BC
As a fan from another team if Price played for a dozen other franchises quite possibly. Playing for the Habs not a chance. He's a great player but Habs franchise has been blessed with so many legends he's far down list.

GrandBison

Jul 1, 2019
People saying no are living in the past dynasties with unreal expectations and forget that Price had a trash team for 90% of his career. Stanley cup being a necessity is unfair in a team game, especially 32 team parity leagues. He was known as one of if not the best goalie in the world for at least half his career.

Montreal bias here.
I'm not only living in the past, I'm also living in the future. I want Price to be remembered as the best Hab between the dynasties! :naughty:

Spring in Fialta

A malign star kept him
Apr 1, 2007
Montreal, QC
He would’ve won the Smythe for sure. It was too tall an order. Tampa was a powerhouse and we got curb stomped. We were completely overmatched.

Either way, great run. Just a fantastic way for him to cap his career with us. Too bad he couldn’t have played longer but he had a great career here.

Price and Weber's last gasps being incredible pieces to a finals run was a nice way to go.

He was a better player relative to his league peers than a lot of those guys but to me number retirements are about club achievements. He's an easy HOF.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site

Montreal bias here.
The Cup or Bust............should not be the standard.

And to think Ken Dryden started this whole discussion, what does he know!! LOL

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Price was a much better goalie than Theodore and the poster who quoted me knows I know that. That was never my point. We like to give price all the praise for anything good the team has done with him and excuse him from the results when the team was poor with him. It doesn’t work that way.
We have the benefit of seeing what the team was like with and without him. First place with him and last place without him. This is demonstrably true.

No, he was not able to save the team when it was blown up. There were limitations to how far his play could take us and we saw that in real time as the team came apart at the seams. But by and large he was on poor teams and elevated them well beyond where they should've been. We have the benefit of seeing the club without him and when that happened it was not a pretty sight.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
We have the benefit of seeing what the team was like with and without him. First place with him and last place without him. This is demonstrably true.

No, he was not able to save the team when it was blown up. There were limitations to how far his play could take us and we saw that in real time as the team came apart at the seams. But by and large he was on poor teams and elevated them well beyond where they should've been. We have the benefit of seeing the club without him and when that happened it was not a pretty sight.

i wonder why you keep saying the team was tanking without him?

The team did well in several occasions when he was absent

I just dont understand why you keep disregarding the several years of mediocrity?

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
i wonder why you keep saying the team was tanking without him?

The team did well in several occasions when he was absent

I just dont understand why you keep disregarding the several years of mediocrity?
The team was dog-$hit without him.....................their record was usually bottom feeder material.
Saying they did well when he was out, is just, wow.

Bombshell11

Sponsor
Jul 21, 2022
The team was dog-$hit without him.....................their record was usually bottom feeder material.
Saying they did well when he was out, is just, wow.

What happend in 2010 and 2013 then?

2010 he got out classed by Halak

2013 Budaij played better than Price, we finished 2nd because of him rather than 7th or 8th.

There's also the time with Huet.

Then there's a time after the 10.5 contract he was letting in 5 goals a night.

Why are we turning a blind eye on the bad moments?

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Yes, but so should Georges Vézina's, Georges Hainsworth's and Bill Durnan's.

And that's just the goalies.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Yes, but so should Georges Vézina's, Georges Hainsworth's and Bill Durnan's.

And that's just the goalies.
I don’t think so. Vezina is overrated due to his name on the trophy but there were better goalies. I have no problem leaving him off. Durnan I dont think so.

Joliat? Definitely. Toe Blake I think so.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
I don’t think so.

Joliat? Definitely. Toe Blake I think so.

Why not? Vézina and Durnan especially were clearly Price-level goalies historically and for their contributions to this franchise.

Aurèle Joliat should be a no-brainer, and same for Newsy Lalonde.

Lalonde is the greatest omission by far.

Reactions: BehindTheTimes

Miller Time

Sep 16, 2004
For any other franchise, it's a no-brainer.

For Montreal, it's a bit tougher. Legit case that players who did more for & with Montreal that didn't get their jersey retired.

I think if you include his international results (Sochi, WJC) as part of the body of work, and account for a decade of his injury shortened career being bungled by bargainbin, then he makes the cut.

Crazy that he's still only 37. Considering his last NHL showing was a HOF worthy cup finals run performance @ 33... He could've had 3-5 more elite seasons with a healthy body... Gone too soon :(

Reactions: BLONG7

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad