Speculation: Shesterkin on contract: I love the team, I love the fans so of course it will be great to stay here. But you never know what’s going to happen

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020

Kind of a different answer than what we usually get from players. Is there a chance he leaves the Rangers? Previously it was reported he wants 12M AAV on a new deal

Last edited:

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
32 thoughts podcast today went into it and basically said the Rangers will sign Shesterkin and Trouba won't be back.
Paying someone to take the last year of Trouba and resigning Shesty at $11-12mil-ish seems like the ultra-realistic plan.

Bobs makes $10.5mil and I think Shesty is better and obviously younger and on the upswing. At the end of the day, $12mil isn't THAT far-fetched even though it churns my stomach to think about giving a goalie that much. He's earned it, though.

Reactions: Giskard

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I think $12 million for any goalie is ridiculous, but if any goalie has the right to ask for a record breaking contract, it's absolutely Shesterkin.

If it gets done, I'm guessing it would be like 8 years at $11 million AAV.
I think top end goalies should get paid and break records.

That position with the top
6 to 7 guys really are above every other goalie and in my opinion worth it.

If Shesterkin was on the free market I'd pay that man 12 million 7 years no question.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Other positions are going up. Not sure about $12M, but him wanting more than Vasilevskiy's $9.5M probably isn't unfounded.

I think Vasilevskiy's cap % was around 11.66%. That percentage next year would be ~$10.7M

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
Paying someone to take the last year of Trouba and resigning Shesty at $11-12mil-ish seems like the ultra-realistic plan.

Bobs makes $10.5mil and I think Shesty is better and obviously younger and on the upswing. At the end of the day, $12mil isn't THAT far-fetched even though it churns my stomach to think about giving a goalie that much. He's earned it, though.
it might have to be a buyout depending on how airtight trouba's NTC is

Kocur Dill

picklicious
Feb 7, 2010
dude carried the rangers hard
11m is the floor for him

Well he's gonna have to accept carrying them harder going forward.

Some contracts will age out or be traded, but Drury better get use to keeping picks going forward to keep the skaters positions replenished with talent cuz high dollar acquisitions ain't gonna happen with Shesty, Fox, Lafreniere, etc all locked in for mega bank.

Zibanajad and Trochek are steals atm but they gotta get replaced or pushed down the line up relatively soon.

nergish

Jun 1, 2019
If the rags don’t give him 12 who else would? Doubt many teams would be willing to trade what it would take and then sign him to a contract like that.

Love Shesty, but I hope no team pays him that much. It’s impossible to build a team that way.

He is one of the best in the league, but he ain’t THAT good.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
If the rags don’t give him 12 who else would? Doubt many teams would be willing to trade what it would take and then sign him to a contract like that.
Presumably you wouldn't trade for him.

You'd sign him as a UFA. Like the Bobrovsky situation

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
There’s nothing odd about anything said there. Not sure what the OP is trying to get it. It doesn’t sound like a remotely controversial thing to say.

it might have to be a buyout depending on how airtight trouba's NTC is
Not airtight. He’s turned his partial no trade into a no move with how his agent has stated that he wouldn’t report to another team.

Romang67

BitterSwede
Jan 2, 2011
Evanston, IL
Other positions are going up. Not sure about $12M, but him wanting more than Vasilevskiy's $9.5M probably isn't unfounded.

I think Vasilevskiy's cap % was around 11.66%. That percentage next year would be ~$10.7M
Oddly, top goalie contracts haven't really risen as all others have. Since Price and Bob signed their $10M+ contracts 5+ years ago, Hellebuyck, Vasilevsky, Sorokin and Saros have all signed as top of the crop goaltenders, and they all signed for cap hits in the range $7.74M (Saros) to $9.5M (Vasilevsky).

Maybe Shesterkin will break the pattern, but a contract around $12M per would blow the roof off the current status quo. It would be an increase of around 25% over the highest recent goalie contract, and an increase of over 40% more than all other elite goalies in the league in the same age range.

Khelandros

Feb 12, 2019
Anaheim, Calgary, Columbus, San Jose. Those are the teams able to do it today without having to free up space or very little space.

14 teams next season would need to move $1MM + to make room for him, 18 teams could do it without moving anything.

TheNewEra

Jul 10, 2013
There’s nothing odd about anything said there. Not sure what the OP is trying to get it. It doesn’t sound like a remotely controversial thing to say.

Not airtight. He’s turned his partial no trade into a no move with how his agent has stated that he wouldn’t report to another team.
Fair, but that changes it to the same thing no? Where it forces the rangers to buy him out unless a team is trading for him with the understanding that they will have to buy him out (but that second option would cost more than someone taking on trouba as a cap dump)

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
Fair, but that changes it to the same thing no? Where it forces the rangers to buy him out unless a team is trading for him with the understanding that they will have to buy him out (but that second option would cost more than someone taking on trouba as a cap dump)
That was only for this season. Apparently Lady Trouba was the driver for this year’s decision because she has a year left on her medical residency.

It sounds like they may be more amenable to a trade in a year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad