Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: Wierzbowski426

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I’ve already had the chance to enjoy 3 Devils Cups, which is more than most fans get in a lifetime. At this point, I’m largely rooting for them to win another so that my kids can experience seeing them win a Cup.

So yeah, quite a difference between my team last winning one 20 years ago versus well before I was born.

Jersey Fan 12

Positive Vibes
Nov 20, 2006
1. Why would the Devils rebuild? They got done in by shit goaltending and a massive pile of man-games lost.

2. How in f*** is Keefe a 'retread'? Do you know what that term means?

3. Ruff was fired because the team was playing pond hockey and he was ruining Timo Meyer, as well as his running the goalies, who were struggling, into the dirt.

4. We don't really have any 'offencive' whizzes that are defensively useless. Bratt is the most defensively deficient, and he plays with Hischier and Palat, who are both very good defensively.

5. Everything about the Devils seems to indicate that the team knows what went wrong and are aware that they didn't do their jobs.

You should shut up and go back to the kid's table instead of coming in here and spewing that hogshit.

Amazing. All five of your points completely miss the mark; the law or averages would suggest at least one would be accurate.

As a frequent critic of Bratt in the past, I was the first to give him credit for his play in all three zones last year. The same could not be said of many of their other young talents.

And the only one who."ruined" Timo Meier last year was Timo Meier.

As for a re-tread, that is basically a coach who failed somewhere else that is gifted a job with another team.

That describes Keefe to a tee.

Jerry Keefe would have been a far better option.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
i saw my team win 3 cups before i turned 21. find me a leaf fan who can say the same and i'll concede the argument.

That’s awesome, man

You’re in your 40’s now though. 21 was a loooooooong time ago for you.

You probably have bought two houses, had kids, gotten married, made career changes, driven brand new cars into the ground, been through wars and pandemics.

Good for you though

Most Devil fans saw the Devils lift the cup.

Most Leaf fans had their dad tell them about the Leafs winning the cup when they were kids themselves.

Difference

There are a lot of 25-ish year old Devil fans who have zero memory of any New Jersey cup wins

You old men may be a different story, but there is an entire generation of devils fans that haven’t seen your team win anything

Reactions: dirtydanglez

Brooklyndevil

Jun 24, 2005
Freehold, NJ USA
Before the thread becomes toxic, I think Keefe is an outstanding coach. He has flaws like all coaches, but I think he is going to do really well with the Devils. He needs to learn to adapt in a playoff series as that is his biggest red flag.

Otherwise, I think he learned a lot through mistakes and has a lot of experience with high talent rosters. Excellent hire.
Not to sound like a homer and I don’t know much about Keefe, however, I think some of the blame goes to a very talented team that seems they can’t handle the pressure of the playoff.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
I don't actually 'get' why the Leafs fired Keefe in the first place. What exactly did he do wrong? My casual opinion was that he seemed to know what he was doing. Handled the media well, which is, like, half the job in Toronto. Should fire some other people there, in my opinion.

Anyway, my impression of Jersey is a young team with little defensive discipline. So, my first thought was that they'd have been better off with a coach who'd had success with a team, playing that style. Which isn't really Keefe, but I don't know much about the guy. Maybe the mix of personalites will work, I dunno.

tfwnogf

Dec 15, 2013
so keefe goes from coaching a great regular season team to a great pre-season team :sarcasm:

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I don't actually 'get' why the Leafs fired Keefe in the first place. What exactly did he do wrong? My casual opinion was that he seemed to know what he was doing. Handled the media well, which is, like, half the job in Toronto. Should fire some other people there, in my opinion.

Anyway, my impression of Jersey is a young team with little defensive discipline. So, my first thought was that they'd have been better off with a coach who'd had success with a team, playing that style. Which isn't really Keefe, but I don't know much about the guy. Maybe the mix of personalites will work, I dunno.

Blowing a 3-1 series lead against Montreal was when he should have been fired.

Going 1-21 on the powerplay in the playoffs this year never should have happened

Those are coaching issues

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
That’s awesome, man

You’re in your 40’s now though. 21 was a loooooooong time ago for you.

You probably have bought two houses, had kids, gotten married, made career changes, driven brand new cars into the ground, been through wars and pandemics.

Good for you though

There are a lot of 25-ish year old Devil fans who have zero memory of any New Jersey cup wins

You old men may be a different story, but there is an entire generation of devils fans that haven’t seen your team win anything
missing the point once again. i’m not saying the devils won a cup recently, i’m saying the leafs cup drought is not at all similar to the devils and has nothing to with expectations of keefe here. good lord.

Strangle

May 4, 2009
missing the point once again. i’m not saying the devils won a cup recently, i’m saying the leafs cup drought is not at all similar to the devils and has nothing to with expectations of keefe here. good lord.

I understand the point, I just disagree with it

20 years is pretty much the standard for ‘long cup drought’ longer than that, it’s not like it really matters

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
I understand the point, I just disagree with it

20 years is pretty much the standard for ‘long cup drought’ longer than that, it’s not like it really matters

20 years is certainly a long time overall, but when talking about "Cup droughts" in a 32-team league, we're barely over halfway there to the average drought you'd expect per team.

There have been 12 (soon to be 13) teams that have won a Cup since the Devils in 2003, so still well over half the league has gone longer.

20 years is just some arbitrary number you pulled versus any "standard".

Reactions: Dialamo

Strangle

May 4, 2009
20 years is certainly a long time overall, but when talking about "Cup droughts" in a 32-team league, we're barely over halfway there to the average drought you'd expect per team.

There have been 12 (soon to be 13) teams that have won a Cup since the Devils in 2003, so still well over half the league has gone longer.

20 years is just some arbitrary number you pulled versus any "standard".

There’s nothing arbitrary about it, just calling out how ridiculous it is for a fan of a team who hasn’t won in 20+ years to make fun of any other team for not winning

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
true.
and he has way more to work with , without the spot light on him constantly too boot.
Getting Hamilton back alone, puts this team back the play offs.

Well see what happens with their goalie situation (m maybe Allen is in fact the answer, who knows) but I think this is a great opoirutntiy for him. Team has loads of talent on both ends and isn't afraid to be aggressive when it comes to player acquisitions.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
Well see what happens with their goalie situation (m maybe Allen is in fact the answer, who knows) but I think this is a great opoirutntiy for him. Team has loads of talent on both ends and isn't afraid to be aggressive when it comes to player acquisitions.
Allen may not be the guy long term . But I got a feeling he us going to run either this opportunity and have a great season and play off.....or two.

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
There’s nothing arbitrary about it, just calling out how ridiculous it is for a fan of a team who hasn’t won in 20+ years to make fun of any other team for not winning
who is making fun?? this whole stupid conversation started in reference to someone claiming leafs players were/are unable to deal with "the pressures of 1967" (which i don't think actually had anything to do with their half a decade+ of incompetence, but nevertheless) which was followed up by you saying that it's basically the same thing in nj, where he'll have to contend with "the pressures of 2003". as if the devils played in a hockey hotbed similar to toronto, and as if in 2003 the usa was still a couple of years away from landing on the moon. just stop man, not a good look.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
who is making fun?? this whole stupid conversation started in reference to someone claiming leafs players were/are unable to deal with "the pressures of 1967" (which i don't think actually had anything to do with their half a decade+ of incompetence, but nevertheless) which was followed up by you saying that it's basically the same thing in nj, where he'll have to contend with "the pressures of 2003". as if the devils played in a hockey hotbed similar to toronto, and as if in 2003 the usa was still a couple of years away from landing on the moon. just stop man, not a good look.
Also factoring in that since their last cup, they've had a pile of 2nd rounds and a trip to the finals. It's really only been since 2013 that it all went downhill, which will happen after almost 25 years at or near the top of the league.

Strangle

May 4, 2009

You don’t know that saying ‘1967’ is making fun? That’s why everyone knows the date :laugh::huh:

But you’re right, there is pressure in Toronto. There isn’t any in New Jersey. No matter how long their incompetence has carried on for now

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
You don’t know that saying ‘1967’ is making fun? That’s why everyone knows the date :laugh::huh:

But you’re right, there is pressure in Toronto. There isn’t any in New Jersey. No matter how long their incompetence has carried on for now
10 years

Oscar The Grouch

Oct 16, 2021

I remember NJ being a dominant playoff team. Can't say the same for Toronto.

That's not arbitrary.

Reactions: DVision44

Kimota

ROY DU NORD!!!
Nov 4, 2005
Les Plaines D'Abraham
Why? The only reason the Leafs had great regular seasons was cause they had skills, not for the coach. And then he could not prepare them for the playoffs ever.

DVision44

Nov 30, 2017
One team was in the Cup Finals 12 years ago... the other 57:huh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad