Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, the cap space of every team is distributed differently. No one is disputing that.

Additionally, the way Toronto has distributed their cap hit has led to more success than the way NJ distributed it's cap hit. So is it a positive for Toronto or NJ?
What success? It hasnt worked for 8 years. Its also much harder to change. NJ has it much easier to swap pieces and the team make up

Reactions: cptjeff

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
What success? It hasnt worked for 8 years. Its also much harder to change. NJ has it much easier to swap pieces and the team make up

Regular season and playoff success.

Toronto consistently finished above NJ in the standings. Toronto consistently wins more playoff games than NJ.

• Haha
Reactions: North Cole

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
No, I don't.

I would expect Toronto to finish higher in the standings than NJ this season.

Goaltending for both teams needs to be fixed, whoever gets the better goaltender will likely finish higher.

Assuming the Devils don't go through another injury plagued season like last year.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Goaltending for both teams needs to be fixed, whoever gets the better goaltender will likely finish higher.

Assuming the Devils don't go through another injury plagued season like last year.

Yeah, goaltending is a big issue for both teams.

The Leafs have a goalie in Woll so they're slightly better as it stands. His concern is if he can stay healthy. If Keefe started Woll from Game 1 because Woll outplayed Samsonov in the playoffs in both the regular season and playoffs 2 years in a row, maybe things would be different. He bet his job on Samsonov until it was too late.

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Yeah, goaltending is a big issue for both teams.

The Leafs have a goalie in Woll so they're slightly better as it stands.
Assuming he can stay healthy sure he's better than Allen, neither team should be satisfied heading in to the next season with Woll or Allen as their starter though.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
I think the strategy of relying on a literal unproven goalie with injury history isn't really much better.

It's not much better but it's better than having no goalie so it's slightly better. The Leafs rode Woll and Samsonov with this exact team to 102 points despite Samsonov clearing waivers and going to the AHL.

They need better goaltending or Woll to stay healthy for playoff success though.

Based Anime Fan

Himedanshi Bandit
Mar 11, 2012
Tokai
It's not much better but it's better than having no goalie so it's slightly better. The Leafs rode Woll and Samsonov with this exact team to 102 points despite Samsonov clearing waivers and going to the AHL.

They need better goaltending or Woll to stay healthy for playoff success though.
Martin Jones was in there.

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Martin Jones was in there.

Yeah, the Leafs will have a third goalie next year as well. I'm hopeful whoever they have next year puts up better than Samsonov's .890 this year. The Leafs still rode near NHL bottom goaltending to 102 points. The goaltending is needed for playoff success. They have the talent to win regular season games with horrible goaltending.

Samsonov had a 23-7-8 record with .890 goaltending for 40 games

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
If regular season success didn't matter why do you think Keefe and Dubas were hired 2 weeks after they were fired?

I bet if he missed the playoffs every year he doesn't have a job right now
ok. I think the theory is the Leafs are dysfunctional from top down. Individual contributors can likely succeed in a less corporate mindset. Good for you if you are enjoying these Leafs golden years

Strangle

May 4, 2009
I think the strategy of relying on a literal unproven goalie with injury history isn't really much better.

I don’t think you can call Woll ‘unproven’. He is proven.

Questions around him staying in the lineup are absolutely fair, though

Wierzbowski426

Nov 1, 2019
New Jersey
1. Why would the Devils rebuild? They got done in by shit goaltending and a massive pile of man-games lost.

2. How in f*** is Keefe a 'retread'? Do you know what that term means?

3. Ruff was fired because the team was playing pond hockey and he was ruining Timo Meyer, as well as his running the goalies, who were struggling, into the dirt.

4. We don't really have any 'offencive' whizzes that are defensively useless. Bratt is the most defensively deficient, and he plays with Hischier and Palat, who are both very good defensively.

5. Everything about the Devils seems to indicate that the team knows what went wrong and are aware that they didn't do their jobs.

You should shut up and go back to the kid's table instead of coming in here and spewing that hogshit.
Pretty sure only a fan of the rags would make the kind of posts he does. It's just amusing.

PaulD

Time for a new GM !
Feb 4, 2016
Dundas
At least he didn't flat out lie like Dubas and say "you won't be seeing me pop up the next week somewhere else" :laugh:

Good for Keefe, I think he'll do well in NJ. Every coach has their flaws but there's a lot he can learn from his Toronto stint.
true.
and he has way more to work with , without the spot light on him constantly too boot.
Getting Hamilton back alone, puts this team back the play offs.

Reactions: Voight

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
pepper.jpg

MartyOwns

thank you shero
Apr 1, 2007
bragging about a pre-cap cup is reaching.
nobody’s bragging. but there a lot of pre-cap years the leafs didn’t win the cup. like, a lot. imagine how many cups the devils could’ve won back when there were 12 teams in the league lol.

i’m not even trying to rag on the leafs, they’ve been through enough. but to say there’s no difference between 2003 and back when Penny Lane was the number one song in america is a wild take.

Reactions: Brooklyndevil

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad