Sheldon Keefe hired as new head coach of the Devils

Ciao

Jul 15, 2010
Toronto
Those who work in hockey for living must think he's a good coach. His current contract hasn't expired -- and his two-year extension hasn't even started -- before he had his next job offer.

That takes the Leafs off the hook for the next two years, and gives Keefe a raise over what they would have paid as well.

He is in a very good spot.

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
I always felt like this season was an outlier for the Devils. I fully expect them to make the playoffs next season and to be competitive over the next few years.

Reactions: scoopscj

TheFinalWord

Apr 25, 2005
The only issue I had with Keefe was the line matching. He went too far with it at times. I think he'll do well in NJ and that he's a good coach. Sometimes you can't win in the playoffs because the team wasn't built correctly. That's really the case in Toronto. Hopefully that gets fixed, and if it does, Keefe could well have won playoff rounds there.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Thought he would at least enjoy some time off with the family but hey, back to the grind.

Hopefully the Devils' brass at least gives him a decent starting goalie next season. Would be a big help.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
My big takeaway was the Leafs a) never being ready to start the game or b) always having controller malfunctions midway through the game. A complete - 60:00 - game was a foreign concept to him and/or the team.

That being said, he seemed like the best guy available.

Zajacs Bowl Cut

Lets Go Baby
Nov 6, 2005
PA
Keefe is known for getting badly outcoached in the playoffs. Not sure how I would feel about this hiring if I was a Devils fan.

is he? The Leafs badly outplayed Boston in that playoff series. They lost because they didn't get the goaltending that Boston did, and because their best players were injured.

Keefe is an AHL calibre coach

Take a guess how many NHL coaches have a better winning % all time. I bet you won't get it.

Reactions: Dialamo
Sep 18, 2009
is he? The Leafs badly outplayed Boston in that playoff series. They lost because they didn't get the goaltending that Boston did, and because their best players were injured.

Take a guess how many NHL coaches have a better winning % all time. I bet you won't get it.
It's ok. Just wait and see

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I think Keefe will turn things around and become the best Devils head coach since Pat Burns. I don't think they make the playoffs because it'll still be a tough division. But for sure by the 2027 season the Devils will be booking their tickets for the playoffs.
It’s not a tough division. They were never gonna overcome 200+ games lost to the core players injuries, but even then with their goaltending and three rookies on defense, they were in it until the last month.

Easy bet to be back in next season.

Reactions: Guttersniped

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
It is comparable in the sense that failing in Toronto in and of itself certainly isn't disqualifying. 3 generations of coaches and players have failed there at this point and gone on to do good things elsewhere. Couldn't get it done in Toronto? Join the club.

A good number of coaches in general win after the first gig. Looking forward to how the rest of his staff is put together (PULEEASE tell me he is bringing a new goalie coach win him) and how the rest of the offseason plays out.

I do think the fact of a 4-year contract implicitly makes it Fitz's last stand though. If it goes sideways the next two years then there would be the fullest of house cleanings. (Which is kinda the norm in terms of general managers)

Clearly not winning a Cup with your first team wouldn't disqualify you from having future success. Usually coaches are recycled a bunch before they ultimately win. Look at Paul Maurice, he's a former Hartford, Carolina, Leafs, Jets coach without having won anything but now he's having his best years.

BrokenFace

Aug 15, 2010
STL
I like coaches on their 2nd gig. People don't give coaches enough credit for being able to change and evolve from one stop to another. I believe Philly's GM said Berube wasn't a coach you win a cup with when he fired him, then Berube had a cup a handful of months into his next NHL head coaching job. I'd feel optimistic about this hire if I was a Devils fan. Don't listen to all the people saying his flaws in Toronto doom him as a bad coach. That's just typical Toronto fan/hater noise.

Reactions: Bramskii

HugeInTheShire

You may not like me but, I'm Huge in the Shire
Mar 8, 2021
Alberta
Biggest difference between Toronto and New Jersey

For Toronto: Matthews + Marner + Nylander + Rielly + Tavares = 54.153 Million

For New Jersey: J. Hughes + Hischier + Bratt + Meier + Hamilton + Siegenthaler + Marino +Haula + L. Hughes + Nemec + Bahl = 54.768 Million

I know I left out Palat on NJ, but I was just trying to show what that same amount of money gets on NJ

geebster

Sponsor
Oct 26, 2019
Keefe is fine but I wonder why they didn't wait longer. Maybe Keefe was up for some other job?

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
Our team has only made the playoffs once and when they did they beat the NY to go to round 2. So Keefe coming in, if he can get us to the playoffs every year is a success. Besides that Keefe will have much better defense in NJ & I have a feeling Fitz goes all out on a goalie during the off season. This is Keefe's best opportunity. Out of all the coaching gigs this one is the most coveted. The core is intact and all young & have experienced winning a round. They just need to get some team structure & get a goalie and NJ can be a powerhouse.
As a neutral fan, I agree with your take on the Devils. They desperately need a goalie this summer, if they acquire a solid number one they would be a huge threat in the East. Keefe is a good regular season coach, and the first step in a successful season is making it to the dance.

WreckedUm

Damn near killed ‘em
Nov 25, 2018
I think he will thrive in NJ with their setup without having to cater to players.

Now bring back the 1-8 format so we can watch even more creative ways for the leafs to get bounced in the 1st round. :naughty:

Reactions: The Gr8 Dane

Bcap88

Ruff season that’s for sure
Aug 12, 2011
Chicago
Keefe is fine but I wonder why they didn't wait longer. Maybe Keefe was up for some other job?
Non of the remaining coaches are going to get fired.

The remaining coaches available aren’t really
Impressive and I don’t think they want an assistant with no experience to have a crack.

It was either keefe or woodcroft

Reactions: HBK27

Xirik

Sep 24, 2014
Alberta
I think he will thrive in NJ with their setup without having to cater to players.

Now bring back the 1-8 format so we can watch even more creative ways for the leafs to get bounced in the 1st round. :naughty:
As long as Jack Hughes always gets a drop pass when rushing the zone on the PP then he'll be happy.

HBK27

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2005
Northern NJ
Keefe is an AHL calibre coach

It's fine if you don't like him, but the guy had the 4th highest win percentage in the league and had Toronto playing at a 109 point pace over the nearly 5-year span he was in Toronto. Saying he's "AHL calibre" (a league he's also already won a championship in) is a ridiculous statement.

1716490476831.png

Divine

Dec 18, 2010
Biggest difference between Toronto and New Jersey

For Toronto: Matthews + Marner + Nylander + Rielly + Tavares = 54.153 Million

For New Jersey: J. Hughes + Hischier + Bratt + Meier + Hamilton + Siegenthaler + Marino +Haula + L. Hughes + Nemec + Bahl = 54.768 Million

I know I left out Palat on NJ, but I was just trying to show what that same amount of money gets on NJ

That's not true at all.

Leafs cap hit this year:

Matthews (11.64) + Marner (10.9) + Nylander (6.9) + Rielly (7.5) + Tavares (11) = 47.94M

I'm not sure why you threw an extra 6M on the Leafs cap hit? I'm assuming you took Matthews and Nylander's extensions that start next year and added that to the caphit but Keefe never coached those teams.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad