Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
If the Leafs can deal with the league and the early criticism from some, he is the best qualified for sure.

I don't even know the situation around the controversy at any length I don't follow that sort of stuff often. Was he aware? Were his denials if they exist, credible?
Hard to say. I don’t know what went on behind closed doors and I’m not going to slander anyone on an ultra sensitive issue but out of Bowman, Q and Chevy, only Chevy is still working in the league. Take that as you will. They couldn’t even be hired without clearance and reinstatement by the NHL. This is a road I would avoid.

Reactions: Leafsfan74

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Don’t like that statement from Tre. Sounds a lot like running the core back. Another year of skipping Leaf games incoming.
Did it for Dubas’ last season, will do it again if big changes aren’t in order. A man can only take so much bullshit from this organization……..

Reactions: Trapper

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
They said that the Marner camp would be open to discussing a possible trade, and that he would have been okay if they had traded him last year. One big problem is that Marner has struggled when talking to reporters (he immediately puts up a wall with them because he feels they are blaming him/core for all the playoff failures)).
Marner has a victim mentality. He's one of the most privileged humans on the planet. He needs to get over himself.

Sheldon has a new job soon.

Reactions: Kazparov and JKG33

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Always end your insider information with, but that could change. Classic Dregs.
Hasn’t been relevant since Nonis left town, funny how nepotism works…….

They could just give Wickenheiser the job and promote from within. Then the Leafs will finally have a coach the media can't criticize and she can decide the narrative for them.

Had to get a shutout?

More like the Leafs had to play against their makeup and shelter him with a full on commitment to team defense because Sammy falls apart the second you let go of his hand.
Second time this scenario has been brought up, I think it’s a stupid idea, and totally something MLSE would consider being mentally challenged as they are……..

For the first time in my life I can say with certainty, and it was clear to me there were fewer people on this board this year though I don't have quantitative data to reinforce this conclusion; if the Leafs re-sign Marner to an extension they will lose many fans.
I’ll be the first to jump ship……..

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Don’t like that statement from Tre. Sounds a lot like running the core back. Another year of skipping Leaf games incoming.

I'd be incredibly surprised if they were to admit publicly they have any plans to trade anyone, they wouldn't want to be painted into a corner.

That said, obviously doesn't mean they still won't triple down on the correct. I just don't expect them to say anything out loud

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Woll has started in 4 elimination playoff games so far. His Sv% in those 4 games was:

That's more than good.
Too bad he’s a injury waiting to happen, can’t trust his body to hold out just like you can’t trust Sammy’s head to hold out. Both really nice guys, but neither’s a number one guy……..

Or trying to extract value if he can convince these guys to waive their no-trade.

For the record, if you are making an excessive amount of money and I don't want you here, I am going to place you far down on the list of personal obligations be that ice time, offensive ice time, PP time etc.

This corporation has been offensive for so long it is time for fans to bring back the brown bags a la Roger Nielsen era. Hell, they may be worse in many respects.
We need more waffles…….

Unless Pelley is a complete fool, he knows he cannot run it back.
I trust his decision making about as far as I could throw John Candy……..

Seconded !
“Thirded…….”

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
Good, that’s where we needed to start.

Hopefully we’re not done because more needs to happen.

Next:
Shanahan
Remainder of coaching staff
Marner
Trade for a G

Lauro

Charlie Conacher
Jun 28, 2008
Berlin
Judging by what Treliving gave us last year in his first offseason, we'll probably have to settle for McLellan ... :cry:

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
I criticized Brad for not trying to grab a #1 in the offseason rather than the big bucks they paid Klinberg.

They aren't easy to find, but they are critical.
Well, they're definitely not going to be grabbing anyone from FA this year for the goal. The best available goalie in FA this year is Ilya Samsonov.

• Wow
Reactions: Leafsfan74

rumman

Sep 10, 2008

CRAIG BERUBE

The 58-year-old from Calahoo, Alta., hoisted the Cup as coach of the St. Louis Blues in 2019, but was fired by the organization in December after missing the playoffs last spring. The no-nonsense Berube, who owns a 281-190-72 coaching record over parts of eight seasons with the Blues and Philadelphia Flyers, played 40 games for the Leafs in 1991-92 and was a Jack Adams Award nominee as coach of the year when St. Louis won the Cup.

TODD MCLELLAN

The 56-year-old from Melville, Sask., was fired by the Los Angeles Kings in February after parts of five seasons in charge. McLellan is 598-412-134 in the regular season with the San Jose Sharks, Edmonton Oilers and Kings. A Jack Adams finalist in both 2008-09 and 2016-17, he got San Jose to the conference final in both 2010 and 2011. McLellan won the Stanley Cup as a Mike Babcock assistant with the Detroit Red Wings in 2008 and coached Team North America at the 2016 World Cup of Hockey – a roster that featured Leafs star Auston Matthews.

JAY WOODCROFT

The 47-year-old from Toronto was fired by the Oilers in the fall after Edmonton got off to a disastrous start. Woodcroft worked his way up the coaching ranks before finally getting a shot in the Alberta capital when the team fired Dave Tippett in February 2022. Woodcroft, who was 79-41-13 with Edmonton, helped Connor McDavid and Co. make the conference final that spring and the second round last year before the rocky opening to 2023-24.

GERARD GALLANT

The 60-year-old from Summerside, P.E.I., won the Jack Adams in 2018 after guiding the Vegas Golden Knights to the Cup final in their expansion season. He made the conference final with the New York Rangers in 2021-22 before getting let go following last spring’s first-round playoff exit. Gallant, also a finalist for coach of the year in 2015-16 and 2021-22, is 369-262-74 over 11 seasons with the Golden Knights, Rangers, Columbus Blue Jackets and Florida Panthers.

BRUCE BOUDREAU

The 69-year-old from Toronto last coached with the Vancouver Canucks in 2022-23. Boudreau, who won the Jack Adams with the Washington Capitals in 2007-08, has put up a record of 617-342-128 during his four NHL stops that also included stints with the Anaheim Ducks and Minnesota Wild. Boudreau, who also played for the Leafs and was a Jack Adams finalist in 2012-13, has never seen one of his teams advance to the third round of the playoffs.

DAVE HAKSTOL

The 55-year-old from Drayton Valley, Alta., was fired late last month by the Seattle Kraken following three seasons in charge. Hakstol, who also coached the Flyers for parts of four campaigns, is 241-213-69 in the NHL. He has familiarity with Toronto after serving as an assistant under both Babcock and Keefe from 2019 through 2021.
Gallant has the best resume out of this bunch, who else is in the running………

Reactions: hockeywiz542

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
I agree with firing Keefe, but they should've waited until they already had a legitimate replacement.

Hell no. Get him gone the sooner the better. You never leave a disruptive figure around. Word is now out Toronto needs a coach and people will changing their plans accordingly if they are working out a new deal.

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021
He had to go, but he didn't put this team together. Keefe isn't the one who put them in this cap situation.

I'm looking for news on Shanahan, he needs to be accountable for this mess. Hard to understand why he gets a free pass.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad