Confirmed with Link: Sheldon Keefe Fired -- Discussion Thread

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
You don't pat a dog on the head and give him a treat right after he's crapped on the bed.

Silly analogy, no one is asking them to praise them.

They know they didn't get it done.

Driving a player out of town on purpose is idiotic, but I don't expect much else from some.

Reactions: WillNy29

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
Shanahan, Treliving, Keefe, Matthews, Tavares, Marner. I don't think any of them are to blame as much as Dubas. He set a terrible tone by letting the stars run the team, and holding no one accountable.

Lamoriello had to go - he was out of touch with poor free agent signings, and not allowing anyone to grow facial hair is a bit outdated. But that was the last time the players played as a team and not as individuals. Dubas went overboard in trying to do a 180 on the tone to prove that he was progressive, and that's what sunk us. Not Shanahan, not even Keefe's coaching decisions. The tone was set from up top. Because Shanahan allowed Dubas to set it, it started from him.

Keefe has coaching warts and he'll have a great career and future. But it was the tone that Dubas set that influenced the way Keefe managed the team (in my opinion). The 5 years of Keefe may have looked very different if Keefe was taking his cues from someone other than Dubas.

I think he may prove that elsewhere.

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
So long Sheldon.
I bet in his next gig he drops the coddling and ass kissing of players who aren't pulling their weight.

Good luck to you sir.

This season showed that it probably wasn’t Keefe who wanted to be that way with the players. That directive definitely came from up top.

Reactions: PROUD PAPA

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
6 goals in his last 37 playoff games for nearly $11m, though.

He and his mates can be the superstars of the regular season and chew up nonplayoff teams, but in the playoffs, he's been as disappointing as any of them.
here's a thought for you, i'll play opposing coach...
Playoff strategy vs the Leafs:
-The Leafs have the Core 4 and beyond them the rest of the team can easily be managed and contained.
-The Leafs offer no real threat from the Blue line, and none have a Slap shot, so, clocg the front and nothing gets though.
-when members of the core 4 are on the ice focus (double team) Matthews and Nylander and then heavily pressure Tavares and Nylander, while ignoring the defense because they are not a threat.
-core 4 is thus contained and if the rest of the team can beat us, we deserve to lose.
game over.

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
The Avg tenure for a coach is 2.4 years.

It's not really like they got two coached fired.

Babcock was going because of the stupid shit he did in the wrong era.

Keefe probably overstayed his ability.
Babs got fired cause he hurt their feelings.

Keefe should feel lucky he wasn't fired after the Montreal series. He shouldn't have made it past 1.5 years, yet instead he got 5 and was paid for 7.

Reactions: Jmo89 and Jojalu

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Nothing personal Sheldon. This is how it goes
You'll be fine

Leafs once had to let go our beloved coach in Pat Quinn. We let go off Pat Burns. This is how it goes

This won't be the last time you'll be fired. Which is a compliment. Because you'll have a prolonged career in NHL as a coach.

ok anyways

what's for lunch?

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

notbias

Feb 16, 2017

Keefe should feel lucky he wasn't fired after the Montreal series. He shouldn't have made it past 1.5 years, yet instead he got 5 and was paid for 7.

He got fired because the team was going to miss the playoffs.

People make up way too much stuff.

TheDoldrums

May 3, 2016
Kanada
Berube would be fine. I wouldn't mind Woodcroft either tbh.

Really don't want McClellan. Not excited about the idea of Gallant either.

Really they should tamper and throw the bank at Rod but not expecting that to work.

Reactions: Kazparov

AllHeartNoSkill

Nov 23, 2008
"After a long search, the Leafs have hired Craig Berube, their first choice and one of their only interviews as the coach of the Toronto Maple Leafs"

I hope they do a long search, but I think it ends up being Berube, Brad has a weird obsession with anyone who has ever fought.
Agreed. I don’t personally have an interest in analytics, but I hope they look at SOMETHING with respect to this hire. It’s easy to fall in love with a coach because he found success with Norris- and Vezina-calibre players.

Reactions: notbias

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
It's odd that Shanahan was willing to pivot from Lou and Babcock so quickly, but so stubborn with Dubas and Keefe. I guess he took his own words too seriously when he talked about Toronto sticking to a plan.

I wish he followed the first plan a little longer and we probably would have had much better contracts for Matthews and Marner.
Shanny loved Bradd Pitt's performance in Money Ball and thought that could be him

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Agreed. I don’t personally have an interest in analytics, but I hope they look at SOMETHING with respect to this hire. It’s easy to fall in love with a coach because he found success with Norris- and Vezina-calibre players.

I mean the only plus side to someone like Berube, is if last offseason is any indication of the team Brad wants to construct, he might be a decent coach.

Low skill, low IQ hockey is more suited for someone like Berube than Brind'Amour.

But if we are keeping all the players, it sounds like trying to fit a square peg into a round hole again.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Marek was saying on his show that Quenneville heavily hinted in a recent interview that he wants to coach in the Atlantic.

So safe to say he will at least be given at least one thought.

For my part - I would not be in favour of Q unless he issued a full and complete apology and shows genuine remorse, and a willingness to seek counseling on how to NOT let that situation repeat itself.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Berube would be fine. I wouldn't mind Woodcroft either tbh.

Really don't want McClellan. Not excited about the idea of Gallant either.

Really they should tamper and throw the bank at Rod but not expecting that to work.

The Leafs probably are wary of any inexperienced coach. Woodcrofts head coaching resume is very limited. He did well with the Oilers for the most part just like Keefe, but it doesn't take a genius to coach that team. But AT LEAST his team lost twice to the cup winners, once in the western finals and then in the 2nd round, then he got let go this season when the Oilers started the season in a disaster.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

My point.

Babs did a lot of things that didn't fly today. Whether you agree with the way society turned is a whole different debate.

Reactions: fahad203 and JKG33

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
Shanahan, Treliving, Keefe, Matthews, Tavares, Marner. I don't think any of them are to blame as much as Dubas. He set a terrible tone by letting the stars run the team, and holding no one accountable.

Lamoriello had to go - he was out of touch with poor free agent signings, and not allowing anyone to grow facial hair is a bit outdated. But that was the last time the players played as a team and not as individuals. Dubas went overboard in trying to do a 180 on the tone to prove that he was progressive, and that's what sunk us. Not Shanahan, not even Keefe's coaching decisions. The tone was set from up top. Because Shanahan allowed Dubas to set it, it started from him.

Keefe has coaching warts and he'll have a great career and future. But it was the tone that Dubas set that influenced the way Keefe managed the team (in my opinion). The 5 years of Keefe may have looked very different if Keefe was taking his cues from someone other than Dubas.

I think he may prove that elsewhere.
Dubas killed the team by never addressing the biggest need which was always our 'average' at best defense. He signed and traded for lots of bottom 6 'depth' players, but never went after what we actually needed which was the Stud D, like Pietrangelo. had Dubas signed that 1 player, we may have won a cup by now, having a true all-star #1D cannot be overlooked or overcome by filling the squard with 3-6 dmen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad