Confirmed with Link: Shea Weber Named to the Hockey Hall of Fame (MOD warning #66)

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

BLONG7

Oct 30, 2002
Nova Scotia
Visit site
But Markov, on his last game with the Habs, in the plane after that PO lost vs the Rags, he was playing backgammon with Emelin and Radulov and they were having fun. That, that only is enough for not having the HOF. Btw, if Markov was so good at his age, other teams would have called him. It didn't happened.
Markov never wanted to play anywhere but Montreal...............always made it known.
He was disrespected so badly by a clown of a GM, it was so sad to see.
Would never had happened if he had been a french or canadian born player.
Bergevin a total a$$-clown that summer.

The General deserved better.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Well deserved.

I'm not sure fans will ever appreciate how rare it is to score at a .25gpg pace while being your teams shutdown guy. One of the best point producing AND shutdown guys of his generation. He had basically 8 years as good as the year Doughty won his Norris and never played on a team as good as Lidstrom's worst lineup - ok that may be hyperbole but suspect it is accurate.

Those Nashville forward groups are a disaster, for most of his time there his top centers were guys like Legwand, Fisher, Ribiero. Really never played behind a high scoring forward group his whole career and still was more that .5 PPG. Easily left a few hundred points on the table over his career.

Will always be underrated by fans as the defensive aspect of the game is not something that is really understood or appreciated, fans struggle to put context behind results, and he never cared to self promote.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Webs? Sure, loved him as a hab, they have lowered the requirements it appears. Is Doug Wilson in yet?

Nashville fan here. Fun fact is that Shea Weber was closer to winning two Norrises than Doug Wilson was and Doug Wilson won 1 Norris compared to Weber's zero. Very very easy 1st ballot HHOFer.

japhi

Jul 7, 2014
Nashville fan here. Fun fact is that Shea Weber was closer to winning two Norrises than Doug Wilson was and Doug Wilson won 1 Norris compared to Weber's zero. Very very easy 1st ballot HHOFer.
A good portion of our fan base will never forgive him for being traded for Subban. There is this weird Marc Bergevin bias that will never go away and it makes a portion of our fan base look foolish.

Webers Nashville years were better then any players time here in MTL the last 35-40 years, save for Price. Very easy, clear first ballot guy.

blueberry

Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
A good portion of our fan base will never forgive him for being traded for Subban. There is this weird Marc Bergevin bias that will never go away and it makes a portion of our fan base look foolish.

Webers Nashville years were better then any players time here in MTL the last 35-40 years, save for Price. Very easy, clear first ballot guy.
He was a good player but a hall of famer??? The standards have been getting lower and lower over the years. A hall of famer is a gretzky, lemieux..........the greats not the good.

• Haha
Reactions: ClydeLee

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
Cant help but wonder how he's a first ballot and Datsyuk waited this long 🤔
This was Datsyuks first-year eligible too. He had been still playing in the KHL until 3 years ago.

It's why Jagr still is 3 years out of eligibility, he keeps playing for his Czech club so it keeps being pushed back. If he plays again next year, it'll get pushed back again.

I'm amazed how few people find Weber legit on the mainboards. He was a 2way elite guy and top 3 dman for years.

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
He was a good player but a hall of famer??? The standards have been getting lower and lower over the years. A hall of famer is a gretzky, lemieux..........the greats not the good.

The standards are relatives to the era a player played in. You can't expect a player to casually put up 200+ points per season or win 11 Stanley Cup in this day and age.

Habs

Always cheerful, happy and pleasant.
Feb 28, 2002
5x top five in Norris
4 additional finishes in top ten.
220+ goals

No brainer first ballot player.

I love Webs I think Rod Brind’Amour is a priority too. I still don't know what they look at for requirements , it seems to be all over the map especially for goalies.

Reactions: Garry Valk

OnTheRun

/dev/null
May 17, 2014
Criteria is based on last game played not self proclaimed contract status

It's no big deal or anything. Just an inconsistency, from the NHL's PoV he is an injured active player (The NHL even made a point to investigate the issue to make sure it wasn't an early retirement). Now the HHoF will theirs things and the NHL will do theirs, fine no problem, I just wasn't expecting him to be eligible at this point.

Kojo

Nov 22, 2013
I'm a bit upset that Mogilny didn't get in. But congratulation to Habs' legend Shea Weber he deserve it.

calder candidate

Feb 25, 2003
Montreal
Visit site
Ton of respect for Weber but players like Mogilny, Elias and Jagr aren’t in the HoF…Why is he going now, he hasn’t been retired for 3 years, NHL is a joke just like when prongner was on LTIR and working front office or for the player safety department, or ARZ playing in a 5000 seat rink…

Catanddogguitarrr

Jul 3, 2016
Nowhere land
One of my favorite dmen all time, was a fan back when he was in Nashville. He did a lot of things very well, was clear how much he was respected on and off the ice. As others have said a well-deserved honour.
I saw first pairing of Weber and Doughty at the Olympics and I found both of them like the best hockey can offer. On the most tight game they scored the 2 goals for Canada. Price was in the nets, of course. I was thinking I would love him to wear the Habs jersey. My very first post here was on the Nashville forum when I left a comment on Subban to the Preds fans.

Reactions: Chili

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
I am just shocked how Habs fan can say something like that..

Markov: 572 pts in 990 games
Weber: 589 in 1038 games

Weber was more physical but there is more to hockey than simply physicality. Markov blow Weber out of the water in a lot of things and most importantly, he makes people around him better.

Don't want people to misunderstanding, Weber deserves to be in. But so does Markov.
Injury-ridden past his prime Weber did the same thing as Markov partner wise. Made Mete look like a top pairing D man, Emelin, etc. etc. Markov did that in his absolute prime with Komisarek whom before Lucic tuned him wasn't half bad.

Probably worth noting that Weber's pretty much a generational goal scoring D man too.

Markov never gave half as good a playoff performance as Weber's Cup run with us. Markov was great no doubt. But he might just fall short of the Hall.

River Meadow

Mar 29, 2016
Weber has:

2010 Olympic gold medal
2014 Olympic gold medal
2005 WJC gold medal
2011 World Championship gold medal
2016 World Cup gold medal
2004 Memorial Cup
7x All-Star
5x top 5 Norris finishes
Over 1,000 games played

He played on STACKED Team Canada teams.

Amazing.

He was a good player but Hall of famer?

It's a joke, IMO.

Reactions: ReHabs

BehindTheTimes

Jun 24, 2018
Imo, one of the most overrated players of all time. His defensive game is overrated, he is more a big dman with a heavy shot that handles the puck like a grenade.

Great for him that he was able to ride that skillset as far as he did, but imo, he’s not first ballot material.

Reactions: River Meadow

Ad

Upcoming events

• Bolivia vs Panama
    Bolivia vs Panama
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $175.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • USA vs Uruguay
    USA vs Uruguay
    Wagers: 2