Sharks with the 1st overall

Sasso09

Jan 2, 2009
Chicago
Let's say the Sharks get the 1st overall pick, who do they take?

Do they not overthink it and take Hagens (if they all continue to develop at same rate) or do they take Martone out of team needs?

It's hard for me to see 3 smaller centers all with 1C potential on the same team. I don't see any of Hagens, Celebrini or Smith fitting in on the bottom 6, frankly it's a waste unless one is converted to wing.

What's most likely? Take Hagens, take Martone or try to trade back a spot or two for say hypothetically Flyers first and the Colorado or EDM 1st they own (est 3rd and 17th)

frontsfan67

Dec 3, 2022
Let's say the Sharks get the 1st overall pick, who do they take?

Do they not overthink it and take Hagens (if they all continue to develop at same rate) or do they take Martone out of team needs?

It's hard for me to see 3 smaller centers all with 1C potential on the same team. I don't see any of Hagens, Celebrini or Smith fitting in on the bottom 6, frankly it's a waste unless one is converted to wing.

What's most likely? Take Hagens, take Martone or try to trade back a spot or two for say hypothetically Flyers first and the Colorado or EDM 1st they own (est 3rd and 17th)
Hagens right now and maybe he or one of the other 2 play wing. Unless martone absolutely torches the OHL this year (he has so far but only 10 games in) I wouldn’t take him over Hagens despite the centre situation.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
I don't think you decide to take a winger just because he's a winger rather than a center. Center can always be played at wing, especially from ages 18-23. If it was a dman maybe, but just decide which of hagens/martone you prefer and take that guy.

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
Trade down and take what ever is left. You still get a supreme player, but now you get another piece that helps a team that has like 7-8 legit NHLers right now. The state of their defense is all time bad. Maybe trade down to snag Schaefer?

Reactions: Grinner

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Trade down and take what ever is left. You still get a supreme player, but now you get another piece that helps a team that has like 7-8 legit NHLers right now. The state of their defense is all time bad. Maybe trade down to snag Schaefer?
What other piece? A worthless late 1st? That's stupid. We'd stay at #1 and take whoever we think is BPA. There is always an order of preference.

Grinner

May 31, 2022
What other piece? A worthless late 1st? That's stupid. We'll stay at #1 and take whoever we think is BPA. There is always an order of preference.
Or a very good project vs a middle 1st rounder or lower 1st

JPeeper

R.I.P. Johnny and Matthew Gaudreau
Jan 4, 2015
What other piece? A worthless late 1st? That's stupid. We'd stay at #1 and take whoever we think is BPA. There is always an order of preference.

Can I get your opinion on Quentin Musty? He was used with a very late first, is he worthless?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
That all depends on the prospect. Moving down 1 or 2 spots still lands a real difference maker
The difference in career performance between the median 1st overall pick and the median 3rd or 4th overall pick is massive. A late 1st doesn't come close to bridging that gap in value. Trading down any lower than that shouldn't even be a consideration.

Anyway this is all putting the cart before the horse. We might not finish last and even if we do it's only a 25.5% shot at 1OA.

Reactions: Trojans86

Grinner

May 31, 2022
The difference in career performance between the median 1st overall pick and the median 3rd or 4th overall pick is massive. A late 1st doesn't come close to bridging that gap in value. Trading down any lower than that shouldn't even be a consideration.

Anyway this is all putting the cart before the horse. We might not finish last and even if we do it's only a 25.5% shot at 1OA.
Lightning can strike twice

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Take BPA and then either move Smith to wing or trade one of them for a nice return.

Agree with being willing to trade down to 3rd if the return is good unless Smith really poops the bed this season.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
On a draft trade value chart, moving from 1 to 3 should snag you an 8th overall pick.

So if a team is willing to go 3+8 for 1, or 3+that crappy teams 1st rounder next year...then maybe worth it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad