Confirmed with Link: Sharks sign Alexander Wennberg 2 years 5M AAV

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
I think you sorta answered your own question, you just listed 12 forwards that are already in the NHL before you even get to guys like Celebrini and Smith.

So now we have the very real situation that some of our prospects that COULD be ready for NHL time, are now blocked from playing in the NHL, not because they are not ready, but because we literally do not have roster spots available to fill and you are not going to waive a bunch of players on 1 way contracts to open up slots. The same was true for our D last year, and it sucked.

I think Grier had a good offseason, I am not shitting on him, however I do think he went a little overboard with the depth moves, and now we find ourselves in a situation where instead of having some nice veteran pieces to help ease our prospects into the NHL, we instead have a roster literally filled with veterans (besides Eklund) and no spots for prospects to fight for and start getting NHL time playing in.

I dont know about anyone else, but I was looking forward to having a younger, more prospect laden team this year, instead of watching another terrible season from a team filled with has beens and never weres.
There is an easy fix to the over crowding if the prospects actually earn a spot on the roster, none of these players are big losses if we have to waive them at the start of the season. But even then we can carry, 2 goalies, 7 (6) defense, 14 (15) forwards if need be.

Right now we have 18 players signed according to capfriendly.

Timo Time

73-9
Feb 21, 2012
San Jose, CA
We will have Wennberg, Kunin, Sturm, and goodrow for a combined nearly 14M!! 4 fourth liners for 14M.

Who is gunna score on the sharks?
Zetterlund had 24. Granny had 12. Eklund had 16. Kunin 11, and thats all the sharks on the current roster from last year with double digit goals. Now add in Toffoli who should get 20-30, and wennberg who might be good for 10.

Thats a combined 100 goals from 6 of your forwards. If you get a GREAT rookie year from mack and smith, you'll get 20 from each. for 140. Add in another 20-30 from the rest of your forwards and you can expect 160 goals from the Forwards.

Maybe you can get 20-30 goals from the D. if you are lucky.

So, if things go pretty well the sharks might score 180-200 goals. Good for about 2.3-2.4 goals per game. That puts them in the bottom 5 and a solid 30 goals shy of prety darn bad.

Why does grier keep throwing money at trash? Goodrow, wennberg, lindbom, kunin, sturm, benning, borroughs, G smith, Knyshov...

We need talent that can put up 20-30 goals. Toffoli, Foegele, march, duclair, and many others were out there and signed deal in line with wennberg's but can score. I dont get it.
Brother, this team isn't competing. They can't sign 40 goal scorers off the street. They have so many holes that they can sign almost anybody and it truly doesn't matter.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Man, you really hate Mike Grier. It's just farcical at this point, though, so at least there's very little chance of anyone taking your comments seriously.

Wennberg hasn't hit 40 points in nearly a decade? I guess 37 points in 2022 and 38 points in 2023 are sooooo far away that he's useless? (Let's just go ahead and ignore that only three Sharks scored more points than that this past season.)

Duclair got healthy scratched multiple times because of lack of effort and performance. I don't blame him for being down in the dumps playing on that team, but you really think he'd want to come back? Also, not a center.

The biggest issue you face is that you appear to be incredibly delusional in your expectations for what Grier could possibly do with this team at the moment. Getting Toffoli to sign is a major win considering the state of the team. You want spectacular? What did you want Grier to do, pay Marchessault and Skjei $10 million a year? Because that's about the only way you're getting guys even at THAT level. Which is arguably barely above Toffoli's level.

I'm sure you just want the Sharks to be good again, but there's no magic potion to make that happen any faster, and acting like Grier is an idiot for doing the best he can at the moment only reflects poorly on you.
You must feel like I have a personal grudge against grier. You feel my posts show a huge bias against him. You feel he has done an admirable job unloading bad contracts and you accept that the sharks will be bad for at least another year or two. You see signings like Wennberg's as a quality veteran addition, potnetial mentor, and solid 3C who can match up well against opposition top players to free up our top scorers for better matchups. You also feel like cap space is not a premium commodity now, and that the goal is not to win just yet. perhaps you also feel like, being a bottom team, grier cannot recruit good UFAs to come like other more competitive teams.

Please try to see that I dont hate grier. I have liked the following moves:
1. Zetterlund addition +resign: This has been the best move in grier's tenure as I see it. Zett not only scores but hes tough as nail, physical, and hard working.
2. Toffoli signing: I liked this one. I hope hes good for 30 again and 30goals/60pts is good value for 6M.
3. The dickinson pick. Even grier admits being lucky and I woulda preferred making the trade during the draft, but at the end of the day, Grier got a steal and you gotta tip your hat to that move. and he got the pick in the first place dumping EK65, so its kinda a double win.
4. Walman: I like the move. Got LSW with the pick and hopefully walman can be a solid top 4Dman for us. He averages over 12 goals/82 games the last two seasons, which is by far the best on the sharks, and that includes just 1 total PPG, so its fair to expect those numbers might rise as he will get ample PP time. This was a very solid move.
5. I think he did a respectable job unloading the big contracts. He got lucky getting a norris year from EK65, but he managed to clear a ton of space long term. If used wisely, it's a great play.
6. I applaud landing graf. He was the top college UFA, pursued by 20 teams and grier got him. I hope he takes a big step forward, but I applaud him there.

I just have thought, with the exception of toffoli, that all his FA signings have been terrible, so his deployment of the saved cap space has been very poor.

Lindbom, sturm, kunin, buroughs, benning, knyshov, Blackwood, vinicek, G Smith, Goodrow and, of course, hiring Quinn. All of those guys were struggling to have regular shifts in the NHL, or were clear 4th liners / 6/7 Dmen. Combined they cost approx 20M, or nearly 1/4 of your cap. I am also baffled by warsofsky hiring as opposed to carle, gallant, or someone with a better track record. Warsofsky led the sharks D last year to a dead last (by a mile) worst GA per game. Strange to promote that guy?

I think the sharks could compete if they added just a few more 20-30 goal scorers and 1-2 top 4D, even in an overpay. I dont resign to stinking. I think, given the cupboard, we are in a unique spot to make a serious run very soon. We have now unloaded hoffman, lebanc, and much of the dead weight.

Id be just fine with massive short term overpays. Frankly, Id much rather sign march for 2yrs, 9M per and Roy 2 years 8M per and than goodrow, wennberg, Kunin, and Vanecek for the about the same $. I think overpaying near term for top talent is exactly the kind of move I would be fine with.

Reactions: NiWa and coooldude

TealManV

A man has said
Oct 12, 2011
California
I really like this signing! I’ve been following Wennberg since his CBJ days. He’s a smart player with solid defensive instincts and some low key playmaking ability. Good size too.

2 years is solid term. Gives some protection on the Couture front while (hopefully) ensuring we never see Luke Kunin play center again even though Warsofsky wants a team full of Kunins. :sarcasm:

I’m not sold on Will Smith being a full time NHL center and don’t mind him being a RW for his first couple of seasons. Marleau started off as a winger his first few seasons too if my memory is correct.

If Couture is able to play, it really strengthens the forward corps:
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlind
Couture-Celebrini-Toffoli
Kostin-Wennberg-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea
The rest of all the guys that Grier brought in

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think you sorta answered your own question, you just listed 12 forwards that are already in the NHL before you even get to guys like Celebrini and Smith.

So now we have the very real situation that some of our prospects that COULD be ready for NHL time, are now blocked from playing in the NHL, not because they are not ready, but because we literally do not have roster spots available to fill and you are not going to waive a bunch of players on 1 way contracts to open up slots. The same was true for our D last year, and it sucked.

I think Grier had a good offseason, I am not shitting on him, however I do think he went a little overboard with the depth moves, and now we find ourselves in a situation where instead of having some nice veteran pieces to help ease our prospects into the NHL, we instead have a roster literally filled with veterans (besides Eklund) and no spots for prospects to fight for and start getting NHL time playing in.

I dont know about anyone else, but I was looking forward to having a younger, more prospect laden team this year, instead of watching another terrible season from a team filled with has beens and never weres.
Grundstrom and Givani Smith are absolutely not going to block Celebrini and Will Smith from lineup spots. Be serious.

Watching the two best prospects in the entire NHL play for us this season isn't exciting enough for you? Which other young prospects did you want to see make the team?

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007

Smith and Celebrini won't struggle to find time. If Afanasyev, Guschin, Bordeleau, or Graf want to be NHL players, they can prove they're better than Grundstrom, Koistin, or Kunin. Not sure I see G. Smith as a NHLer, he can be waived.

Injuries and deadline trades will also happen. I also wouldn't mind seeing some load management where bottom 6 guys are targeted with ~70 games played on average, that opens up another 72 or so.

If you want a spot, go take it. Same think with Mukh and Thrun. Go be better than Vlasic and or whoever we sign. Nothing wrong with over cooking prospects.

I will say, Gushchin is at risk of leaving given the above, however with Dellandrea, Goodrow, Koistin, and Wennberg, we've got a bit more size/skilled grit. I think this gives him a bit more room to operate. He'll bring something very different than everyone else in the line-up. I think that name be an opportunity.

Bords is less of a fight risk, but again if he earns a spot ahead of legit NHLers, great.

Reactions: druncan

Bizz

Slacked for Mack
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
If Afanasyev, Guschin, Bordeleau, or Graf want to be NHL players, they can prove they're better than Grundstrom, Koistin, or Kunin. Not sure I see G. Smith as a NHLer, he can be waived.

even if they are better, why would Grier tank the trade values for established NHL vets like Kostin & Kunin by cutting their ice time?

that's the biggest problem I have with the Wennberg signing. It's literally blocking our NHL-ready prospects at this point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Dicdonya

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
You must feel like I have a personal grudge against grier. You feel my posts show a huge bias against him. You feel he has done an admirable job unloading bad contracts and you accept that the sharks will be bad for at least another year or two. You see signings like Wennberg's as a quality veteran addition, potnetial mentor, and solid 3C who can match up well against opposition top players to free up our top scorers for better matchups. You also feel like cap space is not a premium commodity now, and that the goal is not to win just yet. perhaps you also feel like, being a bottom team, grier cannot recruit good UFAs to come like other more competitive teams.

Please try to see that I dont hate grier. I have liked the following moves:
1. Zetterlund addition +resign: This has been the best move in grier's tenure as I see it. Zett not only scores but hes tough as nail, physical, and hard working.
2. Toffoli signing: I liked this one. I hope hes good for 30 again and 30goals/60pts is good value for 6M.
3. The dickinson pick. Even grier admits being lucky and I woulda preferred making the trade during the draft, but at the end of the day, Grier got a steal and you gotta tip your hat to that move. and he got the pick in the first place dumping EK65, so its kinda a double win.
4. Walman: I like the move. Got LSW with the pick and hopefully walman can be a solid top 4Dman for us. He averages over 12 goals/82 games the last two seasons, which is by far the best on the sharks, and that includes just 1 total PPG, so its fair to expect those numbers might rise as he will get ample PP time. This was a very solid move.
5. I think he did a respectable job unloading the big contracts. He got lucky getting a norris year from EK65, but he managed to clear a ton of space long term. If used wisely, it's a great play.
6. I applaud landing graf. He was the top college UFA, pursued by 20 teams and grier got him. I hope he takes a big step forward, but I applaud him there.

I just have thought, with the exception of toffoli, that all his FA signings have been terrible, so his deployment of the saved cap space has been very poor.

Lindbom, sturm, kunin, buroughs, benning, knyshov, Blackwood, vinicek, G Smith, Goodrow and, of course, hiring Quinn. All of those guys were struggling to have regular shifts in the NHL, or were clear 4th liners / 6/7 Dmen. Combined they cost approx 20M, or nearly 1/4 of your cap. I am also baffled by warsofsky hiring as opposed to carle, gallant, or someone with a better track record. Warsofsky led the sharks D last year to a dead last (by a mile) worst GA per game. Strange to promote that guy?

I think the sharks could compete if they added just a few more 20-30 goal scorers and 1-2 top 4D, even in an overpay. I dont resign to stinking. I think, given the cupboard, we are in a unique spot to make a serious run very soon. We have now unloaded hoffman, lebanc, and much of the dead weight.

Id be just fine with massive short term overpays. Frankly, Id much rather sign march for 2yrs, 9M per and Roy 2 years 8M per and than goodrow, wennberg, Kunin, and Vanecek for the about the same $. I think overpaying near term for top talent is exactly the kind of move I would be fine with.
Not sure if you heard about this but the moves you're crying about like hiring Quinn and bringing in veteran cannon fodder on cheap deals got us these guys named Macklin Celebrini and Will Smith.

You're right, though, the Lindblom and Burroughs contracts really cancel that out. Can't believe how many more years we're stuck with those guys. Hiring Quinn was such a disaster too. Grier should have hired someone who would have coached us to a better record the last two seasons so we could be building around David Reinbacher and Beckett Sennecke instead.

Reactions: NiWa and Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
BTW, I can accept not competing that well this year. But in all honestly, I see the sharks as having at least 6 or more legit NHL players in the system coming up in the next 2 years: Smith, Mack, graf, Musty, Haltunnen, Chernyshov, dickinson, Mukh, bystedt, edstrom, and possibly bordy, Gushkin, and afansyev in addition to Eklund.

All of those guys will be practically free the next few years. On top of that Burns dead cap is gone, and pickles has just one more year after this one, so buyout can happen if needed. Blackwood and vanecek (combined 5.8M) also come off. Lots of free space. If Grier deploys on either quality cap dumps (like walman), and quality UFA deals (like toffoli), then we should be amazing very very soon.

Reactions: Jargon

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Not sure if you heard about this but the moves you're crying about like hiring Quinn and bringing in veteran cannon fodder on cheap deals got us these guys named Macklin Celebrini and Will Smith.

You're right, though, the Lindblom and Burroughs contracts really cancel that out. Can't believe how many more years we're stuck with those guys. Hiring Quinn was such a disaster too. Grier should have hired someone who would have coached us to a better record the last two seasons so we could be building around David Reinbacher and Beckett Sennecke instead.
Do you think Grier signed badly and hired badly in order to suck on purpose? I get that the plan was to unload the aging contracts, but do you think he brought in those guys to target being one of the worst teams in recent NHL history?

I mean, if he did, I guess he did well (though 25% chance of getting mack was lucky). Could he still be doing that with goodrow and wennberg?

I think he knew that the sharks might struggle, but I dont think he thought that the guys he added would be that bad.

When would you guys start holding grier responsible for a crap team 2026? 2028?

I want to see wins. Dougie made the playoffs 15 of 16 years from 2003-2019 without the benefit of tanking and getting top picks. I hold grier to the same standard and I believe he has the talent in the system and the cap space to begin to build a winner right away.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
We will have Wennberg, Kunin, Sturm, and goodrow for a combined nearly 14M!! 4 fourth liners for 14M.

Who is gunna score on the sharks?
Zetterlund had 24. Granny had 12. Eklund had 16. Kunin 11, and thats all the sharks on the current roster from last year with double digit goals. Now add in Toffoli who should get 20-30, and wennberg who might be good for 10.

Thats a combined 100 goals from 6 of your forwards. If you get a GREAT rookie year from mack and smith, you'll get 20 from each. for 140. Add in another 20-30 from the rest of your forwards and you can expect 160 goals from the Forwards.

Maybe you can get 20-30 goals from the D. if you are lucky.

So, if things go pretty well the sharks might score 180-200 goals. Good for about 2.3-2.4 goals per game. That puts them in the bottom 5 and a solid 30 goals shy of prety darn bad.

Why does grier keep throwing money at trash? Goodrow, wennberg, lindbom, kunin, sturm, benning, borroughs, G smith, Knyshov...

We need talent that can put up 20-30 goals. Toffoli, Foegele, march, duclair, and many others were out there and signed deal in line with wennberg's but can score. I dont get it.
Do you really think we’re trying to be “better” on paper right now? That we’re “trying to win” and be competitive?

We do NOT have enough prospects to move to the next stage. At best we start to build out a real team in 25/26, but that’s wishful. We’re a 26/27 team. Deal with it. Doesn’t mean we won’t be fun to watch.

Last edited:

matt trick

Jun 12, 2007
even if they are better, why would Grier tank the trade values for established NHL vets like Kostin & Kunin but cutting their ice time?

that's the biggest problem I have with the Wennberg signing. It's literally blocking our NHL-ready prospects at this point.

Out of interest, who are you hoping breaks through beyond Celebrini and Smith?

If Couture is healthy, I'd agree with that, but it seems like he probably isn't. Surefire top 9 forwards: Eklund, Celebrini, Zetterlund, Granlund, Tofolli, Wennberg (6). Probably Smith (7). Koistin (8) would be next up, but he had 14p/52gp last year (albeit 10/19 in SJ).

Goodrow, Sturm, Dellandrea, Grundstrom, and Kunin are fine in the 10-14th spots. Dellandrea and Goodrow (to a lesser degree) can play up a bit, but I'd prefer they be fourth liners/reserves (all solid ones). Afanasyev is pretty unknown to me, he may be intriguing or nothing.

I count one top 9 spot available- and depending on Koistin maybe two. If you don't take it from Dellandrea or Goodrow, they're going to get it. If you can't take it from Goodrow or Dellandrea it means one of two things 1) you're not a top 9 forward 2) We absolutely stole Dellandrea from Dallas.

...okay there's a third more nefarious option...development first coach Wasovsky has one of those all too classic man crush on 4th liners that reside across the NHL

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Also, dont get me wrong. The goodrow and wennberg contracts arent hurting the sharks severely. They just dont help either. They remain flexible over the next few years to tweak as needed. I dont blame grier for avoiding the 7 year deals just yet. Hes working to keep his option open and see how the kids develop before making long term commitments. its not a bad play...

I just wish he got more talent by overpaying short term rather than acquiring an army of bottom 6 forwards. maybe guys like march or roy or montour wouldnt take 1-2 year deals in the 8-10M range. Maybe Grier offered those and got denied. I have no idea. I just feel we are actually much much closer to being a playoff team than last year showed.

We needed a better coach (This is TBD). We needed 2 Dmen. We got walman who should be good for 20+ mins/night, and now we need one more in addition to resigning thrun and seeing where Mukh is. We needed 2-3 top 6 forwards in addition to celly and smith. We got toffoli, but that's it. So I was hoping for 1 or 2 more 30+ goal scorers, and 1-2 more 20-22+minute eating quality D. We had close to 30M in cap space to get those. Wennberg, goodrow, and kunin arent that, so I was willing to pay 8-10M per for less term. Myabe that;s a pipe dream and no GM could do it.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
Lindbom, sturm, kunin, buroughs, benning, knyshov, Blackwood, vinicek, G Smith, Goodrow and, of course, hiring Quinn. All of those guys were struggling to have regular shifts in the NHL, or were clear 4th liners / 6/7 Dmen. Combined they cost approx 20M, or nearly 1/4 of your cap.

Lindblom, Sturm, Kunin, Burroughs, Benning, Knyzhov, Blackwood, and Givani Smith collectively cost $14,000,000 in nominal cap hit last year, or 16.77% of the cap. Collectively, they filled approximately five NHL roster spots (22% of the team), and in reality their combined cap hit was actually $11,700,000 (because two of those contracts were buried), 14.01% of the cap.

This year, their combined nominal cap hit is $16,191,667. That's 18.40% of the cap. They should fill 6-7 NHL roster spots (26-30% of the team). Anyone who is buried reduces that cap figure.

What is a typical percentage of the cap hit for a non-playoff team's fourth line/third defensive pair/backup goalie? It's probably not far off from 18% of the cap.

The actual evaluation of those players is mixed, but the additional acquisition costs are pretty meaningless. Lindblom, Sturm, Burroughs, Benning, and Smith were free agents who cost only money - of them, only Sturm is really much use, but they're collectively quite cheap. Kunin, Blackwood, and Vanacek were trade acquisitions - Blackwood cost a 6th and is an acceptable NHL goaltender; Vanacek cost a UFA backup goalie, came with a 7th, and is hopefully an acceptable NHL goaltender; Kunin cost a 3rd and an AHL forward, and is really bad. Goodrow was a waiver claim - he's awful. Knyzhov we already had. Only Kunin cost us anything meaningful.

We are a minimum of three years away from competing no matter what we do. Pick up McDavid, Makar, and Hellebuyck at 50% retention for 7ths and we are still only barely a playoff team, if even that.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Do you think Grier signed badly and hired badly in order to suck on purpose? I get that the plan was to unload the aging contracts, but do you think he brought in those guys to target being one of the worst teams in recent NHL history?

I mean, if he did, I guess he did well (though 25% chance of getting mack was lucky). Could he still be doing that with goodrow and wennberg?

I think he knew that the sharks might struggle, but I dont think he thought that the guys he added would be that bad.

When would you guys start holding grier responsible for a crap team 2026? 2028?

I want to see wins. Dougie made the playoffs 15 of 16 years from 2003-2019 without the benefit of tanking and getting top picks. I hold grier to the same standard and I believe he has the talent in the system and the cap space to begin to build a winner right away.
I believe MG wants better players just as bad as you do, but like I said earlier most of the Free Agents don't want to come here to play for a rebuilding team. When we are better a team or get a good trade that makes the team better, then I'll keep MG on the watch during the Free Agency

Reactions: JBeast

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
BTW, I suppose its possible that the stars align and we get massive overperformances from alot of guys. Dellandrea? Could he go for 40+ points? (had 28 two years ago in dallas. Still just 23...)

Could grandstrum put up 15? he had 12 two years ago in LA...

Could graf, smith, and celly get 20-30 each? Could musty, bystedt or another kid break out and be a solid top 9 producer.

Could dickinson make the NHL straight out since he already has the size?

Could Luca shine?

I suppose I should just accept that the sharks will suck again and be patient. I just want to see some high quality exciting play and I just feel like we could have it with better moves.

BillR10

Nov 16, 2008
I really like this signing! I’ve been following Wennberg since his CBJ days. He’s a smart player with solid defensive instincts and some low key playmaking ability. Good size too.

2 years is solid term. Gives some protection on the Couture front while (hopefully) ensuring we never see Luke Kunin play center again even though Warsofsky wants a team full of Kunins. :sarcasm:

I’m not sold on Will Smith being a full time NHL center and don’t mind him being a RW for his first couple of seasons. Marleau started off as a winger his first few seasons too if my memory is correct.

If Couture is able to play, it really strengthens the forward corps:
Eklund-Granlund-Zetterlind
Couture-Celebrini-Toffoli
Kostin-Wennberg-Smith
Goodrow-Sturm-Dellandrea
The rest of all the guys that Grier brought in
You said he wants a team full of Kunins and didn't add kunin to your 12 lol. I have a feeling with the wennberg signing that GMMG knows something about either Couture or Celebrini not playing in SJ next year. Or he has a trade lineup up with forward for defense. Only time will tell but either way depth of NHL quality is good to have

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I believe MG wants better players just as bad as you do, but like I said earlier most of the Free Agents don't want to come here to play for a rebuilding team. When we are better a team or get a good trade that makes the team better, then I'll keep MG on the watch during the Free Agency
Also none of the potential top 6 forwards available took deals less than 4 years.

Wennberg was the best Center available to the Sharks for less than 4 years.

Would you rather Grier signed the Stephenson contract because I’m happy we dogged that bullet.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
BTW, I suppose its possible that the stars align and we get massive overperformances from alot of guys. Dellandrea? Could he go for 40+ points? (had 28 two years ago in dallas. Still just 23...)

Could grandstrum put up 15? he had 12 two years ago in LA...

Could graf, smith, and celly get 20-30 each? Could musty, bystedt or another kid break out and be a solid top 9 producer.

Could dickinson make the NHL straight out since he already has the size?

Could Luca shine?

I suppose I should just accept that the sharks will suck again and be patient. I just want to see some high quality exciting play and I just feel like we could have it with better moves.
I believe you will enjoy next season better than the last. There will be hopefully couple of future stars (Celebrini and Smith) playing, so that should be exciting to follow.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This I can believe. It was hard for dougie to land top UFA's even when the sharks were good. I mean, if there is no othe way to deploy space, then OK.

Still, it seems a bit weird. Our money is still green. Overpaying massively for short term seems like a win win for a UFA and for grier.

Either way, grier is gunna need to bring in at least another few top forwards and D over the next season or two. Toffoli is a good start. You cannot build a team entirely out of home grown prospects and signed 3/4th liners unless you suck for a LOOONG time and consistently get the #1 pick. Personally, I really don't want to suck for three more years and even that doesnt guarantee you anything.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad