Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Status
Not open for further replies.

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Is he for sure going back to London? I think he needs to grab a spot on the Barracuda and learn how to be a pro. Honestly if he can't make this Cuda team and has to go back to juniors for his D+2 season I would lose all my remaining interest in him as a prospect.
we dont know what hes doing yet

Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Is he for sure going back to London? I think he needs to grab a spot on the Barracuda and learn how to be a pro. Honestly if he can't make this Cuda team and has to go back to juniors for his D+2 season I would lose all my remaining interest in him as a prospect.
Oh, yeah, I'm sure he could play for the Barracuda, but I don't know if him doing so or not is a bad sign. It could just be part of an organizational philosophy. Hard to know at this point in Grier's reign, and the fact that it's London might be a factor that pushes them in that direction, wanting to see him dominate a whole season like he did in the playoffs.

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Oh, yeah, I'm sure he could play for the Barracuda, but I don't know if him doing so or not is a bad sign. It could just be part of an organizational philosophy. Hard to know at this point in Grier's reign, and the fact that it's London might be a factor that pushes them in that direction, wanting to see him dominate a whole season like he did in the playoffs.
I would think he needs to prove he can take on a bigger offensive responsibility in juniors before moving on to the AHL. He has a lot more developing to do with his overall hockey game.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay

Why? Musty will almost certainly be back in juniors for his D+2. Do you have the same perspective on him? I don’t think spending his D+2 in a developmental league that is not the AHL precludes him from an NHL future.

Reactions: Star Platinum

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
On the prospects forum Mitch Nylander listed the Sharks as having the #1 prospect pool:

Rule for Prospect:
  1. Must be U-25 (1999 and after)
  2. Under 40 pro games for Skaters, 25 for Goalies
  3. Cannot be on AHL deal - Must be either NHL deal or Reserve
1) San Jose
Quinton Musty - Macklin Celebrini - Filip Bystedt
Igor Chernyshov - Will Smith - Collin Graf
Tomas Bordeleau - David Edstrom - Danil Guschin
Egor Afanaseyev - Ethan Cardwell - Kasper Halttunen
Brandon Coe/Cam Lund

Sam Dickinson - Shakir Mukhamudullin
Luca Cagnoni - Jack Thompson
Leo Sahlin-Wellenius - Jake Furlong
Erik Pohlkamp

Georgy Romanov
Magnus Chrona
Christian Kirsch

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Why? Musty will almost certainly be back in juniors for his D+2. Do you have the same perspective on him? I don’t think spending his D+2 in a developmental league that is not the AHL precludes him from an NHL future.
Well, Musty doesn't have much of a choice in the matter, but there's no doubt in my mind that if rules didn't prevent it, Musty is far more ready for the AHL than Halttunen is. I don't think either guy doing another year in junior says anything about their future prospects as players though. Both guys have things to work on to become more well-rounded players. My concern with Musty is that I think he needs a little more challenge to motivate him to round out his game, whereas Halttunen has to prove that he can even handle the role in London that Musty has already shown he can handle in Sudbury. Same draft class, but maybe not the same timeline for becoming NHL regulars. If Haltunnen shows a lot of progress this next year, maybe they do end up on that same timeline.

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose
I don't think that's an accurate comparison because Musty will go back to juniors out of necessity with AHL not being an option. Even Marchant made it clear in his interview that he's frustrated that Musty can't go to the AHL, he's definitely ready.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
Musty can't play in the AHL due to age but should. because there isn't much left for him to learn in juniors and he could learn bad habits there. I believe Halttunen could play in the AHL, but he shouldn't because there are a number of things he still needs to improve where juniors is the best place for that. They are just in different places in their development and Halttunen needs more time.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
One man’s opinion but I think he should go back. He was playing on the third line most of the year. He had a fantastic end of the season but he needs to maintain a top line role in my opinion.

This is my thought too. I also think that the OHL is a better environment for him to add those dimensions to his game because it's more forgiving. Not that I think the Cuda are there to be a highly competitive team next season, but are they going to want to force feed him top 6 minutes while he gets better defensively or playing off the puck? But they can do that in the OHL because London will want to use him as a top line winger, so they'll forgive his mistakes more and tolerate the rough patches while he learns.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
This is my thought too. I also think that the OHL is a better environment for him to add those dimensions to his game because it's more forgiving. Not that I think the Cuda are there to be a highly competitive team next season, but are they going to want to force feed him top 6 minutes while he gets better defensively or playing off the puck? But they can do that in the OHL because London will want to use him as a top line winger, so they'll forgive his mistakes more and tolerate the rough patches while he learns.
I can see it both ways. The OHL will be overly forgiving of his defensive miscues, and the AHL too unforgiving.

TC will be the indicator.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I can see it both ways. The OHL will be overly forgiving of his defensive miscues, and the AHL too unforgiving.

I think there will be opportunity next season with London for Halttunen's offensive game to continue to evolve, too, so he starts to find more ways to hopefully drive offense and maybe can become more of a net-front player to diversify the way he scores goals. Probably easier to continue that evolution against his fellow kids. No shame in being in that situation in your age-19 season.

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC

I think the value is that even if the play in the league is forgiving of his mistakes, the coaching staff can still correct them. "What you did worked this time but you wouldn't be as lucky in tougher situations" sorts of lessons. So even if he succeeds through error you still get a teachable moment. It's better than him being stuck in the bottom 6 with the Barracuda with limited ice time that potentially shrinks if he gets brutalized while attempting to learn on the fly.

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
Fun times as a Sharks fan with so many good prospects, it's actually crazy!
But.... that defence though?

LD:

Which brings me to a question if Sharks are kinda okay on LD?
NHL ready: Walman, Ferraro, Thrun
Prospect pool: Dickinson, Mukhamadullin, Sahlin-Wallenius, Cagnoni, Furlong etc.
Fringe D/veteran: Vlasic

Walman is the only real top 4 LD on the roster. He also seems to have a great personality that I wouldn't hate to have as an veteran presence for more than couple of years.
Thrun is kinda NHL ready(ish) with showing some flashes of good play both ways, but is kinda of a fringe player until proven otherwise.
Prospect pool looks good with Dickinson leading the way, Mukhamadullin being NHL ready(ish) and the rest needing couple of years. I believe in Cagnoni, but I hope he can play RD in case of the logjam.

RD:​

On the RD side, I think it's clear we need a lot more competition. It's just awful.
NHL ready: Benning, Emberson (close enough)
Prospect pool: Pohlkamp, Thompson, Hävelid etc.
Fringe D/veteran: Rutta

Benning should be 3rd pair/7th realistically, but still can play for an NHL team.
Emberson and rest of the prospect pool are projected for the 3rd pair and 7th defencemen spots for the future. I have some hope for Pohlkamp, but wouldn't bet my money on it.
We need to draft RD in the top 10 + get 2-3 RD though trades. That way we can build a solid foundation for the future.

Future projection:
Dickinson - X/trade/draft
Mukhamadullin - X/trade/draft
Cagnoni/Thrun/FA - Emberson/Pohlkamp/FA

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I know the obvious answer is for Halttunen to become more of a play driver but is that really what the Sharks need him to be?

Between Celebrini and Smith the Sharks have 2 play driving C’s that can distribute the puck. They also have Eklund and Musty who can develop into playmaking wings. I would argue Halttunen needs to improve his skating and physicality on the forecheck to be a better fit for the Sharks.

The AHL might be the best place for him to improve his skating and forechecking skills.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
I know the obvious answer is for Halttunen to become more of a play driver but is that really what the Sharks need him to be?

Between Celebrini and Smith the Sharks have 2 play driving C’s that can distribute the puck. They also have Eklund and Musty who can develop into playmaking wings. I would argue Halttunen needs to improve his skating and physicality on the forecheck to be a better fit for the Sharks.

The AHL might be the best place for him to improve his skating and forechecking skills.
Halttunen needs to improve everything but his shot. He doesn’t need to be some elite play driver but he needs to be more than just a trigger man. He needs to improve his defensive play, his conditioning, and his playmaking in addition to what you stated.

Now his shot is very very good but guess what so was Sprong’s who also had to develop every other part of his game. Or Emerson Etem if you want an example of someone who didn’t develop the rest of his game.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
If it wasn't London, I'd probably feel differently. Feel like their staff does such a good job in development that he's better off there than playing bottom of the lineup minutes on the Cuda.

Don't really think there's any reason to expect him to be ahead of more than 1 or maybe 2 of Graf, Bystedt, Cardwell, Gushchin, Bordeleau, Bailey, Poturalski, Sabourin, Robins, and Coe (plus if anyone gets shuffled down from the big club after camp or Edstrom comes over to play in NA). That puts him at best on the 3rd line.

Better off rounding out his game in London and showing he can dominate that level rather than coming and being shuffled in and out of the lineup most likely. Next year, the Cuda will have more roster space as guys will either have moved up or moved out (Bordeleau, Gushchin, Coe, and Robins as prime examples) and he can break into that group playing big minutes and PP time.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Don't really think there's any reason to expect him to be ahead of more than 1 or maybe 2 of Graf, Bystedt, Cardwell, Gushchin, Bordeleau, Bailey, Poturalski, Sabourin, Robins, and Coe (plus if anyone gets shuffled down from the big club after camp or Edstrom comes over to play in NA). That puts him at best on the 3rd line.
Which line a guy plays on is not very relevant with the Cuda. They tend to roll lines so it’s not like 1st line or 4th line get much different in terms of minutes. Also he would already be one of their top PP options so even if “just 3rd line” he would still get top PP minutes.

While I would enjoy to option to watch him develop on the Cuda I do think they have a very full roster up from. I think if Halttunen and to a lesser extent Chernyshov are ready for the AHL that would push Grier to move out Gushchin or Bordeleau at training camp to make space.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
If it wasn't London, I'd probably feel differently. Feel like their staff does such a good job in development that he's better off there than playing bottom of the lineup minutes on the Cuda.

Better off rounding out his game in London and showing he can dominate that level rather than coming and being shuffled in and out of the lineup most likely. Next year, the Cuda will have more roster space as guys will either have moved up or moved out (Bordeleau, Gushchin, Coe, and Robins as prime examples) and he can break into that group playing big minutes and PP time.
Bordeleau-Poturalski-Bailey
Gushchin-Bystedt-Cardwell
Halttunen-Robins-Graf

Plus top PP unit time if he earns it. If Gushchin bolts to the KHL as rumored once he gets cut from Sharks camp there's even a chance for Big Tuna to move into the top six. I think this would be better for his development than going back to juniors for his D+2 season. I'm not sure he can round out his game or meaningfully work on the things he needs to improve playing against kids.

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
Bordeleau-Poturalski-Bailey
Gushchin-Bystedt-Cardwell
Halttunen-Robins-Graf

Plus top PP unit time if he earns it. If Gushchin bolts to the KHL as rumored once he gets cut from Sharks camp there's even a chance for Big Tuna to move into the top six. I think this would be better for his development than going back to juniors for his D+2 season. I'm not sure he can round out his game or meaningfully work on the things he needs to improve playing against kids.
It might sound bad but would you rather have Halttunen developing under the tutelage of Dale Hunter and his staff (which includes a shooting coach and a skills and power skating coach) or John McCarthy and his staff?

I can see arguments for both situations for Halttunen but really I mostly would just like to see him continue his dominance from the playoffs for a full season so I lean toward London. With the coaching staff in London, I just don't see any reason to rush Halttunen to the AHL, especially with his late birthday.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It might sound bad but would you rather have Halttunen developing under the tutelage of Dale Hunter and his staff (which includes a shooting coach and a skills and power skating coach) or John McCarthy and his staff?

I can see arguments for both situations for Halttunen but really I mostly would just like to see him continue his dominance from the playoffs for a full season so I lean toward London. With the coaching staff in London, I just don't see any reason to rush Halttunen to the AHL, especially with his late birthday.
Honestly it should depend on how Halttunen shows up and performs in camp and potentially preseason. If Grier/Marchant are satisfied that he can hold his own in pro hockey then he would benefit more from playing against pros and getting his weaknesses exposed a bit than dominating the OHL.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad