Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Thread XX

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I don't think Halttunen is too good for OHL

Intriguing player for sure but been playing 3rd line minutes and definitely relies on the PP to score.

His shot is legit lethal but I think Musty is a better all around player right now.

Last edited:

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
He has a European assignment clause. Otherwise London would have to trade him elsewhere or he'd have to play for the Sharks.
I thought that players that were not in the OHL when drafted did not have to follow the CHL/NHL agreement and could play in the AHL.

Also if Dale Hunter wins the memorial cup then decides to leave to the NHL I could see London sell off a lot of assets. (I’m also not a CHL expert).

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
I think the fact of the matter is if we have Celebrini and Smith up next year I doubt we’ll be saying many other prospects challenging for a spot (other than Bordeleau and Gushchin) because that’s just too many rookies. I think if they’re both up, Musty and Bystedt are going to have to have a helluva camp to be allowed to stay (and I very much doubt they will even if they do).

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I think the fact of the matter is if we have Celebrini and Smith up next year I doubt we’ll be saying many other prospects challenging for a spot (other than Bordeleau and Gushchin) because that’s just too many rookies. I think if they’re both up, Musty and Bystedt are going to have to have a helluva camp to be allowed to stay (and I very much doubt they will even if they do).
The prospects will have to beat each other out. This team isn't going to have both Gushchin and Musty on it, but the spot should go to the better player.

Reactions: Jargon

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
I don't think Halttunen is too good for OHL

Intriguing player for sure but been playing 3rd line minutes and definitely relies on the PP to score.

His shot is legit lethal but I think Musty is a better all around player right now.
His shot is too good for the OHL and that's the problem. He's not going to learn/change his game if he knows he'll score every time he's out there on a PP. Maybe there's a world where he does the exact same in the NHL, floats around on the third line until we can set him up on the PP...but idk

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
His shot is too good for the OHL and that's the problem. He's not going to learn/change his game if he knows he'll score every time he's out there on a PP. Maybe there's a world where he does the exact same in the NHL, floats around on the third line until we can set him up on the PP...but idk
Yea, everything I have read states he doesnt play a complete game but his shot is basically elite. Hes not some generational talent like OV, hes not going to survive unless he rounds out other aspects of his game. That said, his playoff run has been pretty impressive so far.

He probably needs to be on a worse team in the OHL

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Halttunen is eligible to play in the AHL.

Is he? I’d consider putting him in the A then. He’s physically mature enough and I’m guessing his confidence is at all time high. I’d like to see how he does against better competition.

I will also say that recent scouting reports from people who watch his game seem to suggest he’s been far better with his 200 foot game and one poster said the reason he has so many PP points over even strength is he’s on a 3rd line with guys who aren’t really scorer.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Is he? I’d consider putting him in the A then. He’s physically mature enough and I’m guessing his confidence is at all time high. I’d like to see how he does against better competition.

I will also say that recent scouting reports from people who watch his game seem to suggest he’s been far better with his 200 foot game and one poster said the reason he has so many PP points over even strength is he’s on a 3rd line with guys who aren’t really scorer.
Yeah he was drafted out of Europe, not the OHL, so he technically could have even been playing for the Barracuda this past season.

Reactions: Bartcal and Jargon

Stewie Griffin

What the deuce
May 9, 2019
Canada
Let's say Celebrini and Smith go back to college, Haltunnen/Musty stay in OHL.

We would have an insane group of prospects in next years WJC.

Celebrini (Canada's 1C)
Smith (USA's 1C)
Haltunnen (Finland top line wing)
Musty (?)
Edstrom (Sweden 1 or 2C)

Not including who we draft at 14 or any other suprises.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
I think the OHL is still the best place for Halttunen next year. I’m assuming Cowen will graduate to the NHL and a couple of forwards like McCue will age out and give Halttunen a greater role at 5v5. He left Finland because he wasn’t ready for pro hockey, I don’t think one year in juniors is enough to send him back to the pros. I’d rather let him pile up points in London next year before moving him to the AHL the following year.

mogambomoroo

Oct 12, 2020
Halttunen is also a very young prospect, I think with his size if he rounds up his game even more we may have a gem in our hands. Hopefully we can use him in our system or use him as trade bait for a decent young defencemen. Both scenarios are more than welcome.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Halttunen is also a very young prospect, I think with his size if he rounds up his game even more we may have a gem in our hands. Hopefully we can use him in our system or use him as trade bait for a decent young defencemen. Both scenarios are more than welcome.
I think if Halttunen wants to round out his game, he's going to have to go back to Europe next season and play pro. I don't think there's room for him to go to the AHL with Cardwell, Wiesblatt, and Sabourin all signed for next season where they're likely in the AHL at his position. There's also Graf who could potentially be in the AHL on the right side as well. He can certainly rack up the goals in juniors and I wouldn't hate him going back to juniors like I would hate Musty going back to the OHL but I think playing in the Finnish league would be more helpful to round out his game than juniors. Then next year he can start in the AHL after some contracts expire and maybe someone like Graf or Cardwell graduate to the NHL possibly.

Reactions: mogambomoroo

GRANdSharks

Mar 14, 2018
halttunen definitely needs more time in junior, his overall production this regular season was just ok, and he could benefit from a bigger role and another year in the London system

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I think if Halttunen wants to round out his game, he's going to have to go back to Europe next season and play pro. I don't think there's room for him to go to the AHL with Cardwell, Wiesblatt, and Sabourin all signed for next season where they're likely in the AHL at his position. There's also Graf who could potentially be in the AHL on the right side as well. He can certainly rack up the goals in juniors and I wouldn't hate him going back to juniors like I would hate Musty going back to the OHL but I think playing in the Finnish league would be more helpful to round out his game than juniors. Then next year he can start in the AHL after some contracts expire and maybe someone like Graf or Cardwell graduate to the NHL possibly.
Just dump Wiesblatt on someone else for future considerations, or bench him, or demote him to Wichita. He doesn't have an NHL future.

Reactions: OversKy

LilLeeroy

Dec 14, 2013
Take it with a grain of salt but a BC fan on twitter is saying that Will Smith's friend told him that Smith has told the Sharks he is going back to BC next season.

Think it was basically guaranteed once Leonard decided to go back, but I do think it will be a really good place for him to develop another year.

Hobocop

ungainly and rambling
Jul 18, 2012
San Jose

Wiesblatt usually plays on line 4 anyway. That's where he's useful.

Barracuda are going to need a bunch of forward additions but I doubt Halttunen will be one of them.

coooldude

Jul 25, 2007
Take it with a grain of salt but a BC fan on twitter is saying that Will Smith's friend told him that Smith has told the Sharks he is going back to BC next season.

Think it was basically guaranteed once Leonard decided to go back, but I do think it will be a really good place for him to develop another year.

If Celebrini goes back and we end up with Eiserman, Hutson, or Letourneau, all these crosstown rivalry games are gonna be must-watch.

Should likely see some more scoring records fall next year in the NCAA.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Just dump Wiesblatt on someone else for future considerations, or bench him, or demote him to Wichita. He doesn't have an NHL future.
I don't see a need for that. Halttunen doesn't need to go to the AHL next season. Juniors or Finnish league would be fine for him.
Wiesblatt usually plays on line 4 anyway. That's where he's useful.

Barracuda are going to need a bunch of forward additions but I doubt Halttunen will be one of them.
I doubt so as well but they'll need additions at other spots. I'm hoping that they sign Havelid and he comes over.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad