Prospect Info: Sharks Prospect Info & Discussion Megathread XXI: "New, improved, and wayyyy too much info" Edition

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
It’s one game and I only watched a handful of Bedards games but I’m on board with stating again, I think Macklin will turn out to be the better player.
I've watched a lot of Bedard's games, and I think he already is. Bedard has more raw skill, but he doesn't play an NHL game. So much of what Chicago is doing is just "get Connor the puck" and he just floats around until someone does it. He makes some really strong plays when he does get it and he does things to get open, but it isn't a sustainable system. Like a more extreme version of the Sharks "get Karlsson the puck" when he put up 100 points.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I've watched a lot of Bedard's games, and I think he already is. Bedard has more raw skill, but he doesn't play an NHL game. So much of what Chicago is doing is just "get Connor the puck" and he just floats around until someone does it. He makes some really strong plays when he does get it and he does things to get open, but it isn't a sustainable system. Like a more extreme version of the Sharks "get Karlsson the puck" when he put up 100 points.
Exactly! He’s a point producer that won’t help the team. That sounds weird but I know what I’m saying. I think.

• Wow
Reactions: Sandisfan

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I think you're right that this is what the situation is for Bedard, but I'd hazard against saying this is how it will continue to be.

Let's not forget just how bad the Blackhawks were last year and still are, and while I'd be happy for that to continue going forward, I think it's quite likely that as the talent around him improves and he matures as a player, he's not going to keep playing the same way he is now.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
Well to be fair that’s how Steve Yzermans career started and he evolved into an elite 2 way player once Scotty bowman got a hold of him and he went on to win multiple cups

Reactions: Sandisfan

Erep

Jul 17, 2019
I think you're right that this is what the situation is for Bedard, but I'd hazard against saying this is how it will continue to be.

Let's not forget just how bad the Blackhawks were last year and still are, and while I'd be happy for that to continue going forward, I think it's quite likely that as the talent around him improves and he matures as a player, he's not going to keep playing the same way he is now.

Well to be fair that’s how Steve Yzermans career started and he evolved into an elite 2 way player once Scotty bowman got a hold of him and he went on to win multiple cups
I completely agree, he will improve and it is reasonable for those things to take time. I know you aren't really disagreeing with me, but my point is just he is a lot further away from those things than even your average rookie. In a world where we all criticize coaches for not letting the kids play, watching Chicago games is the first time I have thought "this can't be good for his development," because of the complete lack of system responsibilities. Also, while defensive positioning and playing in a system will improve, I question if his board battle ability will ever be at a passable level.

TheBigDrunkPanda

Oct 19, 2021
I completely agree, he will improve and it is reasonable for those things to take time. I know you aren't really disagreeing with me, but my point is just he is a lot further away from those things than even your average rookie. In a world where we all criticize coaches for not letting the kids play, watching Chicago games is the first time I have thought "this can't be good for his development," because of the complete lack of system responsibilities. Also, while defensive positioning and playing in a system will improve, I question if his board battle ability will ever be at a passable level.
Good point, his size will always be a determinant when it comes to board play but you don’t but that skill set in wall battles unless your John Torterella 😂

Dickinson is awesome when he has space and time 😂

Star Platinum

May 11, 2024
Scoring goals is better than not scoring goals, but in terms of things that might make a highlight, I'd much rather see him making great passes than scoring goals. He's not going to be skating through multiple guys in the NHL scoring goals like that third goal.

Of course, the things I'm most interested in him getting better at are things that will never show up on a highlight reel and I'll have to depend on scouting reports telling me whether he's getting better at those things or not.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Rogle BK @ HV 71
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $716.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Ilves Tampere @ HIFK Helsinki
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $55.00