Sharks News/Notes XVII

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
In the Spittin' Chiclets episode today with Teemu Selanne, he mentions that he was offer sheet'd by Calgary and that forced his contract with WPG. But he mentions that San Jose was also interested in him too.

Was this known? Crazy to think what could have been if they signed him and had drafted better....

Selanne is an interesting character. In his book, he basically admits that his memory is terrible and he gets things jumbled up all the time.

karltonian

Jan 1, 2023
Not sure where to put this musing but apropos of nothing, I was just thinking, one of my underrated bummers of sharks history is we hardly got to see Donskoi in shootouts. He was infamous for his shootout skills but we hardly got to see them.

Reactions: Sandisfan

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
So, I was thinking that Dyllandrea may be a real sleeper snipe by Grier this summer that few are talking about. With all the focus on Smith, Celebrini, toffoli, and to a lesser degree Wennberg, Dyllandrea could be the biggest addition they have, at least in terms of production vs. expectation.

He was picked 13th overall. Had 50 AHL pts as a 21 yo. 28 NHL pts at age 22. Also he got zero PP time and just 14 min/gm, so with a PP shift it likely would have been closer to 40 pts.

He struggled last year with dallas, but until last year, he was progressing very nicely. and likely to be a solid middle six player. I wonder if he doesn't end up having a surprising 20g, 40 pt breakout season kinda like zetterlund had last year.

If that happens, it also really changes the calculus going forward as suddenly the sharks get a 24 year old top 9 forward signed at just over a 1M, who is also an RFA at the end of the deal.

How cool would it be if Dyllandrea exploded like that?

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
So, I was thinking that Dyllandrea may be a real sleeper snipe by Grier this summer that few are talking about. With all the focus on Smith, Celebrini, toffoli, and to a lesser degree Wennberg, Dyllandrea could be the biggest addition they have, at least in terms of production vs. expectation.
I suspect that Dellandrea has an uphill climb, and will struggle to get top-9 minutes, especially if Couture is healthy. The Sharks's forward depth is actually quite good...

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010
I suspect that Dellandrea has an uphill climb, and will struggle to get top-9 minutes, especially if Couture is healthy. The Sharks's forward depth is actually quite good...
It wouldn't surprise me--nor would he necessarily feel out of place--if he were on the third line to start the season, considering his skill level compared to others in that conversation.

But you're right that there are a lot of possible permutations for the forward group, with or without Cooch; it may not possess enough high-end talent right now (though it'll be exciting to hopefully witness some of that start to take root this year), but there certainly is NHL quality depth this year--what, 12, 13, maybe 14 deep?

tiburon12

Jul 18, 2009

If there was any doubt why we have so many 4th liners, Grier kinda confirms it's all internal comp to get the most of out guys.

Reactions: DG93

DG93

Jun 29, 2010
San Jose

If there was any doubt why we have so many 4th liners, Grier kinda confirms it's all internal comp to get the most of out guys.
It's also nice to have actual NHLers (Sturm, Grundstrom, Dellandrea, Granlund, Toffoli, Wennberg +/- Couture) around our two young stud prospects instead of a bunch of unknown prospects who very well could be AHL bound if they flame out (Bordeleau, Gushchin, Graf). Strong work by Grier building up that depth even if this team is gonna stink again.

Last edited:

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City

I guess if they didn't include guys no longer with the organization they couldn’t find 10?

Chrona, Hertl, Cooley.

Eklund, Zetterlund among players still with the organization

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I enjoyed Barabanov's interview with RG.com. He comes off as very honest about the problems he faced, his faults, and why he made his decisions.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad